Laws Against Stupidity/ignorance Don't Work

How about make a popup that says "PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE" when someone enters this section of the forum. Then if they try to close it too fast, many many duplicate popups appear at random positions on the screen.

*chuckles* I'm sure the moderators will get right on that. I know you are kidding.

I wish someone would do something about the issue. EvilDragon fixed the voting issue with the file archive in no-time flat. Seems like a more simple issue, here.

I totally agree with david and diad. It wasn't really an issue for me when I came to the boards as a noob but that's only since I have been active in various forums before. I think the last comment by Parkydr should be taken seriously and the stickies should be changed in the way he suggested.

@david B.: I really like reading your posts btw. They are never aggressive or offensive, never not thoroughly thought through and always encouraging and helpful.
Just posting my affirmation to this idea. I had exactly the same reaction to the stickies as DAID describes. I Didn't understand the purpose of the stickies until this thread(well, the thread the sparked this thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh. *taps nose*

Anyway, I hadn't really read the first post until now, but after reading it, I do agree. Personally, I haven't read a single one of the stickies. Yeah, I know it sounds arrogant, but I've been using forums like this one for years and years and I like to believe that I know what is required of me in these circumstances. And when half the page is stickied, I just get annoyed and try to ignore them.

I was once a member of the now-gone pixelation forums. When I went through the registration for that, I had to read through the forum guidelines first, and then I had to answer a QUIZ! Personally, I thought it was an interesting way to deal with things and it would make sure that everyone who breaks a rule knows that they are doing so.

I've proposed this and similar ways of making sure people observe the rules in other forums. There's the idea that before you are allowed to post you have to read through a bulleted list of the rules and then agree to those terms. After this, if I went to post in the cool ideas forum, you could first redirect me to a few important pointers regarding the rules of that particular forum, all the while keeping in mind David B's first post in this thread about the scanability, to make sure people get the idea.
For the help forum, you could just make a simple page that says "Have you tried searching for your answer?" with two links, one to the search and one to the second page of the sub-forum.

I dunno if this sounds logical, but they are at least SOME of the ways that you can condense the amount of sticky topics.

Back