Lazy Man Getting Started

Cheery

Still Fresh
I'm a new owner of gp2x-f200 now.

Interested to hack&program, it itself and on it.

This is the first handheld device I've bought for hacking, beforehand I've hacked on computers only.

Bit clueless and tired to cure that clueness. Need help in opening the device and it's potential. Lacking tools to do it in ubuntu, for a start.

Links to information sources are good if nothing else you could give.

After I know how I can test&deploy functioning programs, maybe emulate gp2x-f200 on computer to avoid destroying my new entertainment, I think I'll be fine.

Cheery said:
I'm a new owner of gp2x-f200 now.

Interested to hack&program, it itself and on it.

This is the first handheld device I've bought for hacking, beforehand I've hacked on computers only.

Bit clueless and tired to cure that clueness. Need help in opening the device and it's potential. Lacking tools to do it in ubuntu, for a start.

Links to information sources are good if nothing else you could give.

After I know how I can test&deploy functioning programs, maybe emulate gp2x-f200 on computer to avoid destroying my new entertainment, I think I'll be fine.
You lack for nothing in Ubuntu or any linux distro for that matter, Compiler is gcc, editor vi, debugger gdb/ddd, Not much else to it besides making a mount point for the usb card reader. SDL-devel packages maybe. You'll need a toolchain which I'll apologise in advance for, some can be more than a bit tricky getting going. I like oopos but I'm on gentoo amd64. Have a look here;
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14
I would go for open2x, I am switching to it from oopos when my F200 arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Programming for the F-200 is going to be a bit trickier than the F-100. Well, instead I should say, it's not as gloriously easy. There, that sounds a bit better.

The F-100 let you conect it to your PC and telnet into it, mount your PC's SMB shares directly, and run programs off it while they merrily printf'd debug information to the screen . You could even run gdb-server on it, and run GDB remotely through the network USB. It is insanely cool and easy and I kind of pity those that can't do that, but the programming world got along without all that before.

Well, forget about that hehe :( there is no USB networking. Not all hope is lost, however, since using SDL, you can make a program that runs on both your PC and the GP2X in an identical fashion. You can do this using the Dual Makefile example under the devlopment HOWTO's. You will have to copy your programs onto an SD card and run them on the GP2X for final testing. You might want to create some custom error logging macros that log to a file on the root of the SD, and get into the habit of using them exclusively.

Be prepared for a shock getting your development environment working under Linux if you are "lazy". I had a world of trouble, yet other people have described a totally painless process. Like anything, YMMV. If I were "lazy" I'd do like I first did and just use an old POS computer running Windows 2000 and download the Pre-Configured Code::Blocks IDE w/ devkit read-to-go: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,2295

I still had to fight with linker order but it was way easier than my recent switch to a linux dev environment.

yep. true enough. I'll overcome my laziness when I can't hold in void any much longer with my brains overloading from desire to make things happen. I've noticed this method being very effective and time-saving.

I'm on a foreign ground and taking easily. Won't bother you for few months when I'm done with this! ^^

I'm probably going a long way with ARM assembler language and my own things. More interested about hardware- details, access, etc. than just making games normally.

I think I'll find some very useful stuff from a bunch of source codes I noticed in the gp2x file archive if I'll select well.

It is a long journey, but I think I'm going to like it further I'll go.

Back