LCD Cable Issue

Niksta

Still Fresh
I've noticed some recurring remarks on this forum about the LCD cables that are being installed in the first batch of units, due to a number of reports about failures resulting in a purple screen. Some customers with Pandoras seem to be assuming that theirs will fail eventually; others who are waiting for their unit are already anticipating an RMA in the longer term. Isn't that a bit pessimistic? I doubt that Open Pandora would keep using the cables if the situation was that serious.

So, here's my question to the Open Pandora team: what is the actual failure rate of the original LCD cables?

Thank you.

just so you know, multiple revisions have been done to the LCD cables, so no, they dont keep reusing the same faulty cables

Let's not forget that the LCD cable issues are in a minority; thank God that Tuesday's incident was only a false alarm!

I think ED once remarked it was about 10% or something: ridiculously high, but most of them came from the first few hundred. It's still very high as far as failure rates go, I imagine, but not the "ZOMG EVERYONE IS DYING" failure that posts to the board seem to indicate, unless it actually got worse after they "fixed" things.

The high fail rate was caused by the cable itself getting trapped in the case/hinge area and that does not happen anymore after some modifications.

Since Christmas I think I've seen 6-7 returns with the LCD issue of about 1000 units.

Even though that does seem fixed we had ordered and are about to receive an even newer revision which is even tougher - so I think we can now assume this issue will be gone forever once they arrive.

The high fail rate was caused by the cable itself getting trapped in the case/hinge area and that does not happen anymore after some modifications.

Since Christmas I think I've seen 6-7 returns with the LCD issue of about 1000 units.

Even though that does seem fixed we had ordered and are about to receive an even newer revision which is even tougher - so I think we can now assume this issue will be gone forever once they arrive.

Craig: I'm going on my second LCD cable replacement, ( the first one was done after discovering how to properly put in in place ) My pandora's screen is starting to tint yellow and purple depending on how the unit is opened. Until it becomes unusable I will hold onto it, but you guys can probably expect the unit back in a month or so for another replacement. =/

Back