LCD replacement

Anything's possible with enough Xacto saws, duck tape, superglue and ingenuity.

Assuming that the screen you want will actually fit in the case, you'll have to move the speakers somewhere else, or find some sort of ultra-small speakers to replace them with. This is probably the hardest part of what you're suggesting.

Beyond that you'd need the drivers to deal with the new screen aspect ratio, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult to install.

Keep in mind though that you'd loose the touchscreen.

Theoretically? Sure.
Practically? Absolutely not. Assuming it is pin compatible with the current screens, you would need to rewrite the display drivers for the higher resolution, and somehow deal with games being designed for the smaller screen. Not to mention the physical limitations: you'd have to rebuild the case. It also seems to lack a touch screen.
Why do you want to do this? If this screen is what you want, it seems to me you'd be better off getting a BeagleBoard as the base and working up, rather than taking something complete like a Pandora and hacking things to fit.

Whether you hack a Pandora or build from scratch with a beagleboard, I'd strongly suggest finding a different supplier for those parts. Anyone claiming mathematical insanity like 101% compatibility should make you twitchy. The whole ad doesn't look kosher. At the very least check out Fujitsu's pages and look for replacement parts directly from there.

WizardStan said:
Theoretically? Sure.
Practically? Absolutely not. Assuming it is pin compatible with the current screens, you would need to rewrite the display drivers for the higher resolution, and somehow deal with games being designed for the smaller screen. Not to mention the physical limitations: you'd have to rebuild the case. It also seems to lack a touch screen.
Why do you want to do this? If this screen is what you want, it seems to me you'd be better off getting a BeagleBoard as the base and working up, rather than taking something complete like a Pandora and hacking things to fit.

Beagleboard will be cheaper for you as a base anyway. If you're willing to make an enclosure big enough for a 5.6 display, you're encroaching into netbook (or MID) territory.

What are you wanting to create?

What are you wanting to create?
Why do you want to do this?
I just want to make LCD slightly bigger. Pandora's LCD is acceptable, but ~5inches 1024x600 would be better.

somehow deal with games being designed for the smaller screen
I'm going to use Pandora primarily as an internet device, not a gaming device.

Beagleboard will be cheaper for you as a base anyway. If you're willing to make an enclosure big enough for a 5.6 display, you're encroaching into netbook (or MID) territory.
If this screen is what you want, it seems to me you'd be better off getting a BeagleBoard as the base
First of all, I've already ordered a Pandora. Second, I'm not skilled enough to create whole enclosure from scratch.

Assuming it is pin compatible with the current screens
So this is the main question. Is there any aprox. 5inches display compatible with Pandora's LCD connector?

Another point: $330 + $250 = about the cost of a netbook with a 7" screen. If your goal is a mobile internet device, and hacking in a bigger screen is a means to that end, why not just get a netbook? It's not pocket size, but neither would the Pandora be if you added a 5" screen.
I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, it sounds like an excellent project, if you can get it started. I'm just making suggestions that may be better for you in the long run. Feel free to ignore them.

It's not pocket size, but neither would the Pandora be if you added a 5" screen.
I expect it would be exactly the same size. I want to remove speakers and fit a 5inches screen in the lid, otherwise my idea is useless.

Factoring out all other things, you'd have at most a half an inch vertical clearance. (I've calculated the approximate height of the screen at 2.745 and the width of the pandora is listed at 83 mm). This is assuming

a) The LCD's height is only the screen real estate (ie no bezel)
b) The entire width of the lid can be used to fit a screen (this assumes the plastic has no thickness)

Most likely, you'd waste 220 dollars to find out it doesn't fit, much less is compatible with the connector.

Sounds like you're going to spend money on a paperweight. ^_^

I suggest you...
1) Wait for the Pandora and see if the screen is big enough, or if zooming browsers like Fennec work well enough.
2) If it isn't acceptable, consider buying an n810(which was designed for this, I believe?) or Netbook.

Back