LED function--documented?

vputz

Still Fresh
Okay, this will sound quite foolish to many, but what the devil do the LEDs mean--and more importantly, how could anyone know? I've been searching for a bit, and there wasn't anything in the "community user manual" or the hacker's manual pdf, and searching the boards and website for "leds" wasn't productive. I've found a list once before, but can't find it again. Maybe the community users' manual should be updated? HEPL ZOMG NO CLOO.

They should also be listed in the quick start guide you got with your Pandora. You read the quick start guide before starting, didn't you? :p

One of those extra LED spots should be caps lock. The other...does the Pandora have a numlock key?

^

Since there's dedicated number keys and no keypad I wouldn't see any use for one. It does have an "Fn" key though.

They should also be listed in the quick start guide you got with your Pandora. You read the quick start guide before starting, didn't you? :p

Quick start guides never survive past quick starting! I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but for any tech device I turn to the web for documentation. I still think the online user-created manual needs to be updated with this; if it's ONLY documented in the offline quick-start guide, I'm sure I won't be the only confused one.

Quick start guides never survive past quick starting! I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but for any tech device I turn to the web for documentation. I still think the online user-created manual needs to be updated with this; if it's ONLY documented in the offline quick-start guide, I'm sure I won't be the only confused one.
Oh, you aren't the only one, and definitely correct: it should be documented elsewhere. I was just teasing with the "RTFM" response :)

Here you go :)

http://pandorawiki.org/Leds_and_ports

I was wondering if there is a way to turn of the LEDs? Or at least turn down the brightness of the LEDs.

Would be nice to have one of the LED's set when the device is overclocked

check the directories /sys/class/leds/pandora::*

Those are all the LEDs you can currently manipulate. Manually set "brightness" file (echo 255 > brightness) to a value between 0 and 255 to change the brightness (duh). Not all of them support brightness though: the ones on the left (sd1, sd2, wifi, and bluetooth) are just off or on. The power and charge leds on the right can be dimmed.

Another useful file to manipulate is "trigger". A trigger is a bit of code that will control the LED in specific ways. If your brightness value isn't sticking, it may be because there's a trigger overwriting the value. Try

Code:
cd /sys/class/leds/pandora\:\:power

echo timer > trigger

echo 1000 > delay_on

echo 100 > delay_off

and BLINK, BLINK, BLINK...

do "cat triggers" to see all the currently available triggers you can set it to. Most of them should be pretty obvious what they do. "none" for example stops all triggers and allows you to manually control the LED with the brightness file, so you can simply shut it off. It's possible to write new triggers, but Google is a better place to learn about how to do that.

To set an LED when overclocked, you can edit the file /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh to set one of the LEDs to do something, like set the power LED to blink as above, when overclocked, and reset it when dropping back below 500Mhz.

Back