Legacy Racing

8bit

Still Fresh
What racing games, arcade & console, would you say were the great games prior to Gran Turismo? Pole Position and Bump N' Jump are pretty legendary.

s_PolePosition_2.png

Bump N'Jump Bird

b_BumpNJump_Telegames_front.jpg

Skidmarks for the Amiga was my driving game.
cool.gif

skidmarks_01.png
skidmarks_03.png

skidmarks_16.png
skidmarks_18.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to second Skidmarks on the Amiga and Nitro was also good fun.
Lotus was awesome too.
I preferred MicroMachines on the SNES...

And since we're talking pre Gran Tourismo, I need to mention the original Carmageddon... I wasted so muuuuuuuch time on that game just driving around doing weird tricks.

Gruso said:
Might as well mention Outrun straight away. And if you're into the bike thing, Hang On and Road Rash. I'd donate a kidney for a new Road Rash sequel.

All great games, but I'm in no hurry to see another Road Rash game. The series has sucked ever since it moved off of the Genesis/MD into the 32-bit generation of consoles.

Another personal favourite is Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing for NES. It was the first racing game I played, on the suggestion of my dad. I was renting a bunch of action games and he suggested it as something different than yet another game where you shoot stuff, and I just sort of rented it to appease him. I wound up not touching the other games we rented and played that the whole weekend. Racing games don't always age well, and this one hasn't really, but I've still got fond memories of Turbo Racing.

I also liked Street Rods 2 for PC back in the 386 days. I never had a copy of it myself, but I played it a lot at my cousin's place. It was fun times.

While not exactly racing, up'n'down and spy hunter were some of the earliest car-driving games I played. Esp. up 'n down is excellent even to this day.

Ravnos said:
I also liked Street Rods 2 for PC back in the 386 days. I never had a copy of it myself, but I played it a lot at my cousin's place. It was fun times.

Yeah, Street Rod 1 & 2 were awesome. So simple, but they kept me tinkering with manifolds and transmissions for hours. You can get both on abandonware sites nowadays, and they run great in Dosbox.

I have to add Galaxy 5000 on the NES to the list, not strictly car racing, but it was basically the predecessor of Rock N' Roll Racing on the SNES - also a fantastic game.

arrrgh said:
Micro Machines for the Mega Drive was better. B)
It was the sequel, it was supposed to be better! :p

F-Zero and Top Gear 2, both for the SNES, They just seem to Ooooozzz speed.

They sort of give you an adrenaline rush, And a GREAT sense of speed.

The hair`s on the back of my neck (Bearing in mind, I`m not that hairy) seem to stand on end
when play those games. San Francisco Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast also has that the same affect on me too. :unsure:

Trooper

Nods to Nitro, Lotus series (inc XJ220 ;) ), Carmageddon & Screamer 2

Shouts too for F17(amiga), Buggy Boy (C64), APB!! :p
Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart on C64 too :) Incredibly blocky graphics, but too much character :D

edit: Almost forgot ... StuntCarRacer :eek:

Ravnos said:
Gruso said:
Might as well mention Outrun straight away. And if you're into the bike thing, Hang On and Road Rash. I'd donate a kidney for a new Road Rash sequel.

All great games, but I'm in no hurry to see another Road Rash game. The series has sucked ever since it moved off of the Genesis/MD into the 32-bit generation of consoles.

Hey now, it was awesome on the 3DO, and that was 32-bit!

Back