Lego Mindstorms EV3 on the Pandora?

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
Well, I researched but found nothing except leJOS. According to people, there is no way that you can install this on Linux. But, as Pandora boards, we (or you?) achieved a lot.

Is this really possible?

I do remember trying to get some old leJOS school project to run again some years ago... the Windows Mindstorms drivers failed miserably due to some bad Windows updates, we actually ended up getting it to run from a Linux system. I don't remember the details, but once you've got a working toolchain for flashing and managed to translate the building scripts into something useful, you can indeed use it on Linux.

However, judging by what I've learned about leJOS while trying to get this stuff to run, I wouldn't recommend messing with it...

Legos are expensive...

It isn't if your school already have one...

I do remember trying to get some old leJOS school project to run again some years ago... the Windows Mindstorms drivers failed miserably due to some bad Windows updates, we actually ended up getting it to run from a Linux system. I don't remember the details, but once you've got a working toolchain for flashing and managed to translate the building scripts into something useful, you can indeed use it on Linux.

However, judging by what I've learned about leJOS while trying to get this stuff to run, I wouldn't recommend messing with it...

I am not a fan of leJOS, I just want to use the Mindstorms software on my Pandora...

Not saying it's impossible yet, gave this a go on Exagear Desktop on the OMAP5 devboard, which can run on the Pandora as well, although a bit slower...

So I'm running into a few issues since it seems Lego Mindstorm software needs .net40 which doesn't seem to install nicely with the version of wine I have. It mentions possible using mono 2.8 or better, it's not a straight forward issue. Plus even if I could get the software to launch I'm not sure It would actually connect properly, not sure how well WINE can handle USB or bluetooth connections or even supports such things. I can't test that on my end as I don't own any Mindstorm things. 

Not saying it's impossible yet, gave this a go on Exagear Desktop on the OMAP5 devboard, which can run on the Pandora as well, although a bit slower...

So I'm running into a few issues since it seems Lego Mindstorm software needs .net40 which doesn't seem to install nicely with the version of wine I have. It mentions possible using mono 2.8 or better, it's not a straight forward issue. Plus even if I could get the software to launch I'm not sure It would actually connect properly, not sure how well WINE can handle USB or bluetooth connections or even supports such things. I can't test that on my end as I don't own any Mindstorm things. 

Hmm. Thank you very much for testing! ^^

I used ev3dev, a debian for the Mindstorms EV3 brick, with my pandora.

But I doubt, this helps. However ev3dev is really awesome!

Using winetricks to install .net 4.5 should work.

edit: ...to install a working .net environment. No clue whether the mindstorm software will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back