LemmingsSDL for Linux Desktop

only way you're going to find the cause of a segfault is to get a copy compiled with debug symbols, and run it in gdb to get a stacktrace

it could be absolutely anything :p

segmentation fault usually means the program tried to access some piece of memory it wasn't allowed to. 99.999999% of the time it's just a mistake, a bug in the code, often triggered by doing something the developer didn't think of (and therefore didn't test) but occasionally can just appear to be entirely random because of the nature of how complex programs can be.

If you can figure out exactly how it crashes, you can make it crash in the exact same way by doing the exact same thing, it would help figure out what the problem is.

It could also be a problem with the data files: if the data file is corrupt it could be telling the engine to do something it shouldn't and causing a crash. Try popping the card into a desktop and running a chkdsk on it, see if it reports any errors.

It's something to do with the music. I can repeat it at on my PC but if I switch off music it no longer crashes. I'll get around to fixing it eventually but will probably be too lazy until my Pandora arrives (the whole reason I implemented the damn game...)

Can someone tell me why LemmingsSDL segfaults when I try to start it? I don't get a message regarding missing libraries, so I'm clueless.
http://lessermatters.homeunix.com/LemmingsSDL/
./LemmingsSDL_widescreen
setting width to 800
setting height to 480
setting fullscreen
in main
Initilising MainForm now
enabling sound
initilising menu
home: /home/klumpen
opening config file: /home/klumpen/.LSDLSave
./LemmingsSDL_widescreen: line 2: 5983 Segmentation fault (core dumped) ./LemmingsSDL -w 800 -h 480 -fs 1
./LemmingsSDL
in main
Initilising MainForm now
enabling sound
initilising menu
home: /home/klumpen
opening config file: /home/klumpen/.LSDLSave
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

@Klumpen, not sure mine launches, but mine doesn't seem to have that "LemmingsSDL_widescreen" executable...

nor does it store save data in the regular user home directory...

Could this be an old port from the old repo? or maybe mine is?

@Klumpen, not sure mine launches, but mine doesn't seem to have that "LemmingsSDL_widescreen" executable...

nor does it store save data in the regular user home directory...

Could this be an old port from the old repo? or maybe mine is?
It's from the (official?) site I just linked directly above.

0.9.11 for Linux
from 2011, as it seems. No idea where the later versions are to be found.

Well, this is the Pandora support area. To be fair though, I don't think we have a support area for regular linux users, so I can't suggest exactly where you should have posted this instead. But maybe making it clearer where you were trying to run this wouldn't have hurt.

Well, this is the Pandora support area. To be fair though, I don't think we have a support area for regular linux users, so I can't suggest exactly where you should have posted this instead. But maybe making it clearer where you were trying to run this wouldn't have hurt.
Yeah, mixed up the areas. Am ill, sorry.

You have 800x480 fullscreen support on your desktop?
Probably not, but afaik the Desktop versions run in a window anyway, at least the Windows version does when I run it with WINE.
One of the two executables should have worked.

Back