Lemmingssdl (Networked)

Thanks for the hard work!

Where is the new link please? I try the (Windows) link from
http://lessermatters.homeunix.com/LemmingsSDL/
but notice it is the old version, as my builders would stop when they hit blockers hehe.

RubiX said:
Thanks for the hard work!

Where is the new link please? I try the (Windows) link from
http://lessermatters.homeunix.com/LemmingsSDL/
but notice it is the old version, as my builders would stop when they hit blockers hehe.

It's the same link as before. Hmm, this is strange.

You can tell it's the new version as the scrolling message starts with "This is the second release...."

Plus the selection box for the 'thumbnail' on the main game screen is green now.

Please let me know any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops my mistake, I downloaded the new one, but must have re-extracted the old zip , hah.. i'm just that smart.

Nice scrolling text lol.

First of all, Nice update. I've just been messing around for half an hour trying to bug test some things, as we all want you to succeed in a near perfect amiga clone :D

I've come across some small bugs which I have screenshots explaining, and also 1 very big (yet strange) bug.

http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/954964843_01302010_1.jpg
Image 1:
Location A:(Targetting issue) With a lemming trapped between 2 close blockers (or if it was 1 blocker and a wall on the other side) it appears impossible to select him to do any ability) You can cursor over that lemming, but not click him to do anything. I do find targeting a lot trickier than the Amiga version overall, I do not know how Psygnosis/DMA Design were able to make it so easy to select just the right lemming when needed, that's got to be a tricky thing to code perfectly o_O

Location B: (head clearance) Very nice to see builders turn around when they hit a blocker now, though small bug is the distance above a lemmings 'head clearance' is causing a builder to turn around building while he is way above the blocker on the ground , almost like its an invisible wall. All lemmings will walk up that bridge and turn at this invisible wall. A lemmings normal head clearance is basically pixel perfect the moment no green hair from a lemming is touching the bridge. (probably very difficult to replicate that exactly, but as of right now, it is a big noticeable difference as seen in the screenshot)

http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/1827647856_01302010_2.jpg
Image 2:
Location C:(Big bug - Lemming drop) This is interesting. I found that you can make lemmings survive any height by placing a blocker at the landing spot of where others are falling.
Here I dug down, and floated one down, others were dying of course at this point, but the floater I turned into a blocker to replicate what I found, and just like another level, the same thing happens, lemmings start living by landing on a blocker.

[Now, the game recognizes this as some kind of exploit, as you cannot click any of these lemmings that survived in this way, they all become basically 'zomblins?' lol. Float another one down, and you will be able to click this guy, as he legitimately survived the fall hehe]

Location D: (Lemmings with gills) No explanation needed :)

I'll post more as I find things.
Thanks!

RubiX said:
Oops my mistake, I downloaded the new one, but must have re-extracted the old zip , hah.. i'm just that smart.

Nice scrolling text lol.

First of all, Nice update. I've just been messing around for half an hour trying to bug test some things, as we all want you to succeed in a near perfect amiga clone :D

I've come across some small bugs which I have screenshots explaining, and also 1 very big (yet strange) bug.

Image 1:
Location A:(Targetting issue) With a lemming trapped between 2 close blockers (or if it was 1 blocker and a wall on the other side) it appears impossible to select him to do any ability) You can cursor over that lemming, but not click him to do anything. I do find targeting a lot trickier than the Amiga version overall, I do not know how Psygnosis/DMA Design were able to make it so easy to select just the right lemming when needed, that's got to be a tricky thing to code perfectly o_O

Location B: (head clearance) Very nice to see builders turn around when they hit a blocker now, though small bug is the distance above a lemmings 'head clearance' is causing a builder to turn around building while he is way above the blocker on the ground , almost like its an invisible wall. All lemmings will walk up that bridge and turn at this invisible wall. A lemmings normal head clearance is basically pixel perfect the moment no green hair from a lemming is touching the bridge. (probably very difficult to replicate that exactly, but as of right now, it is a big noticeable difference as seen in the screenshot)

Image 2:
Location C:(Big bug - Lemming drop) This is interesting. I found that you can make lemmings survive any height by placing a blocker at the landing spot of where others are falling.
Here I dug down, and floated one down, others were dying of course at this point, but the floater I turned into a blocker to replicate what I found, and just like another level, the same thing happens, lemmings start living by landing on a blocker.

[Now, the game recognizes this as some kind of exploit, as you cannot click any of these lemmings that survived in this way, they all become basically 'zomblins?' lol. Float another one down, and you will be able to click this guy, as he legitimately survived the fall hehe]

Thanks!

Brilliant, between you and me, we'll get this game pixel perfect!
Seriously, keep 'em coming. I want this to be perfect (especially the 2 player mode (I've been reluctant to try for a 2 player until it's perfect really - but when it is, you up for organising a 2 player?)

These will be tricky to fix (perfectly) but I will give it a good crack!

By the way - you should be a professional games-tester!

Thanks for all the help :)

Thanks, just trying to do my part to help you :)

I spent countless hours as a kid playing all the lemmings games that released, and actually feel like crediting this game towards how its help me in life honestly. It made me into quite the puzzler solver I believe.
After completely beating the original game at about 14 years old and only in a few weeks, I started working on all sorts of puzzles, and then really got into the rubik's cube (hence my nickname) and I have been speedsolving different size cubes for years now.

I'll definitely be up for 2player games or 2player bug testing if you need someone to help with that.

So , when ready for it, install Hamachi2 ( the virtual network software ) and we can do some fun 2 player lemmings, or do it for 2player bug testing. I'll be happy to help out in anyway.
http://download.cnet.com/LogMeIn-Hamachi2/3000-2651_4-10605260.html

send me a private message whenever you are ready, and i'll give you my msn / email address.

thx.

RubiX said:
Thanks, just trying to do my part to help you :)

I spent countless hours as a kid playing all the lemmings games that released, and actually feel like crediting this game towards how its help me in life honestly. It made me into quite the puzzler solver I believe.
After completely beating the original game at about 14 years old and only in a few weeks, I started working on all sorts of puzzles, and then really got into the rubik's cube (hence my nickname) and I have been speedsolving different size cubes for years now.

I'll definitely be up for 2player games or 2player bug testing if you need someone to help with that.

So , when ready for it, install Hamachi2 ( the virtual network software ) and we can do some fun 2 player lemmings, or do it for 2player bug testing. I'll be happy to help out in anyway.
http://download.cnet.com/LogMeIn-Hamachi2/3000-2651_4-10605260.html

send me a private message whenever you are ready, and i'll give you my msn / email address.

thx.

Cool man. I had a Rubik's cube as a child and wished I could do it but never had the time/patience/intelligence (take your pick) to do it. I recently was given a new one and the same experience abounded.
Lemmings: loved it when it came out but it was the 2 player mode that got me hooked. It just added, as most games used to back then, a whole other dimension to the game that I had not seen repeated.

Basically, I really want to play 2 player on this again. This is why I got into re-implementing it. It was also because I love classic gaming and wanted to code something up for the Pandora as well. What could be better than playing 2 player Lemmings against someone on the internet whilst sitting in the park? I can't actually see there being a big 'community' of players around 2 player Lemmings though, so that will limit the possibilities! But if there is just one, just occaisionally - I'll be happy!

I have to add though, that I do hope Mr.Gonzo et al contribute to some graphics and we can make a 'brand new' game using the same basic mechanics as the original. I think this could work really well, especially if we implement all the ideas that have been suggested so far.

Anyway, I'll try and get these fixes done in the next few days and I'll be sure to post here!

Sorry for rambling on - I've just been to the pub!

RubiX said:

I don't mean to steal LemmingsSDL's thunder, but if you're interested, there's another Lemmings clone with multiplayer (2-8 players) -- Lemmings++. A few people on the Lemmings forums have multiplayer matches.

Mindless said:
RubiX said:

I don't mean to steal LemmingsSDL's thunder, but if you're interested, there's another Lemmings clone with multiplayer (2-8 players) -- Lemmings++. A few people on the Lemmings forums have multiplayer matches.

That looks pretty damn good (might have to see how he animates the exits!) but apart from really wanting to play 2 player lemmings - I wanted to code it as well :) It looks like that guy was trying to make something unique from the offset whereas I'm trying to initially re-create the Amiga version.

Thanks for the update .. here's a few thoughts .. I actually got around to downloading the latest UAE today!
and digging around my old disks :]

1. The percentage calculation got stuffed. Can report 1000%, 110%, 200%
2. There was a pause while 'lets go!' plays when the level started before lemms dropped from the trapdoor, allowing you to 'paws' with no lemms onscreen
3. The numbers on the -+ should have a leading zero
4. no sound when clicking on the -+, timing also needs adjusting
5. adding abilities. If two lemms are under the mouse and one is already (for instance) a floater, clicking should set the other to floater not get ignored
6. nuke should be a double click
7. basher glitch on fun:5 makes the basher give up in the middle of the 1st column
8. no 'Oh no!' sample when lemm goes pop. Status message when nuked says 'sample played' but not when individual lemm is popped
9. transaprency artefacts on lowercase 'm' & 'n'
10. the preview thumbnail is a little distorted in the original (horiz compressed)

That's enough .. for now
I know - picky .. picky .. picky ... :p

More later .. when I've played a bit more :D

Miner49er said:
Mindless said:
RubiX said:

That looks pretty damn good (might have to see how he animates the exits!) but apart from really wanting to play 2 player lemmings - I wanted to code it as well :) It looks like that guy was trying to make something unique from the offset whereas I'm trying to initially re-create the Amiga version.

That's interesting I also never heard of that one. Though watching the video I see the creator has incorporated some things from Lemmings2 the tribes as well as the original game, its quite different but still looks like an enjoyable clone.
Went to test it out and quickly find it is not compatible with vista(cannot click buttons for level selection etc) and no one appears to have spotted that out from reading all forum pages on the game. Worked fine on my XP computer though.
Interesting to have made it possible to play with more than 2players.

Overall I am most interested in seeing this SDL Amiga clone being successful, bringing the original 2player lemmings feel back :)

Thanks very much for sharing this link still, it will be interesting to try with 2+ people.

RubiX said:

Nice scrolling text lol.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Thanks!

Fixed those now. Wow, it really makes a big improvement. Still not sure if it's perfect (apart from the 'fall into blocker' invincible bug) but it's a lot better.

I'll put a new version up on monday with these changes.

Thanks for the detailed report gp32Rich - a lot to work on! I'll give 'em a crack this week :)

Wow, this is really the greatest thing ever. At some point in time, I too was contemplating creating a version of this game. To that end I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the source code for the first release? I'd love to do a diff and see how you fixed some of these bugs. Keep up the good work! Thanks for bringing us all this wonderful game!

Rotsiser Mho said:
Wow, this is really the greatest thing ever. At some point in time, I too was contemplating creating a version of this game. To that end I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the source code for the first release? I'd love to do a diff and see how you fixed some of these bugs. Keep up the good work! Thanks for bringing us all this wonderful game!

I've put the earlier source there now. Though, there were some quite dramatic changes so it may not be obvious what code-changes affect what...hmmm, I must implement a source control system!

I've put another version up there again, so you every so helpful folks can test it (or just play with it!)

Here's what I fixed:

Changed sprite selection mechanism based on distance to pointer and type of action proposed. Not perfect but 100 times better (what I need is for someone to define what, if anything, is incorrect)
Also, hit test area around blocker _should_ be better

DONE! oh no when pop (gp32rich)
DONE! pause at start
DONE! double click for nuke!

...so, we're getting there aren't we?

Edit: Fail. I've just checked it and there is still quite an annoying selecting issue... :-(

Edit2: fixed. new version there now...

Miner49er said:
Rotsiser Mho said:

I've put the earlier source there now. Though, there were some quite dramatic changes so it may not be obvious what code-changes affect what...hmmm, I must implement a source control system!
Thanks so much! I too have always struggled with maintaining good version control.

Hi all,

I managed to compile the source in Windows, but for some reason using the latest version of SDL_mixer (1.2.11) there's no music when playing a level, although the title screen music plays fine. Replacing that DLL with the one included in the compiled version fixes the problem. Any ideas as to why this would be?

Rotsiser Mho said:
Hi all,

I managed to compile the source in Windows, but for some reason using the latest version of SDL_mixer (1.2.11) there's no music when playing a level, although the title screen music plays fine. Replacing that DLL with the one included in the compiled version fixes the problem. Any ideas as to why this would be?

Hi there,

AAh, I found this since I've setup a windows compiler at home. I did exactly the same as you. I will check what version of SDL I'm using, perhaps there is an issue with the latest SDL release.

EDIT: at work here I'm using the following version of SDL:

SDL-1.2.13
SDL_image-1.2.7
SDL_mixer-1.2.8
SDL_net-1.2.7

I guess at home, I'm using the same versions...I use linux (ubuntu 9.10) at home and SDL form the package manager (so much easier/better!)

Miner49er said:
I've put another version up there again, so you every so helpful folks can test it (or just play with it!)

Here's what I fixed:

Changed sprite selection mechanism based on distance to pointer and type of action proposed. Not perfect but 100 times better (what I need is for someone to define what, if anything, is incorrect)
Also, hit test area around blocker _should_ be better

DONE! oh no when pop (gp32rich)
DONE! pause at start
DONE! double click for nuke!

...so, we're getting there aren't we?

Edit: Fail. I've just checked it and there is still quite an annoying selecting issue... :-(

Edit2: fixed. new version there now...

Great updates, things are definitely getting there, yes and targeting feels way better for sure!

So I figured out the issue with the latest SDL version. First, newer versions of sdl_mixer require a call to Mix_Init(flags). Second, the most recent sdl_mixer apparently uses a new DLL, mikmod.dll to play tracker files. When trying to load the .xm files, it returns the error: "Failure loading sampleinfo". So there's the slim chance that these are odd .xm files or the more likely scenario is that mikmod.dll is buggy.

Any thoughts? Or is this irrelevant with the coming Zombie onslaught? :)

Rotsiser Mho said:
So I figured out the issue with the latest SDL version. First, newer versions of sdl_mixer require a call to Mix_Init(flags). Second, the most recent sdl_mixer apparently uses a new DLL, mikmod.dll to play tracker files. When trying to load the .xm files, it returns the error: "Failure loading sampleinfo". So there's the slim chance that these are odd .xm files or the more likely scenario is that mikmod.dll is buggy.

Any thoughts? Or is this irrelevant with the coming Zombie onslaught? :)

Hey, that's brilliant! So, have you tried placing mikmod.dll in there? Does that fix it? Would a build using the latest SDL libraries work with older versions of the libs?

I have a bunch of mod file equaivilants somewhere of the in-game music, so I could try that (or you could and let me know!)

I still want to get this perfect as well as 'zombifying' the game, so this is still very usefull information.

In other news, I've almost perfected the selection mechanism (I think) plus I've cleaned some of the animations (they were jumping about a bit), it's looking very good, i'll upload a new version soon (maybe tonight)

Back