Let me get this straight the pyra doesn't use thermal paste?!

133794m3r

So the thing is getting up to 70*C but is using _no_ thermal paste between the soc and the heatsink? Seriously? The hell's going on here? Using no thermal paste is the equivalent of using no heatsink at all. Seriousl, the what is going on here. I can't believe what I'm reading here.

So the thing is getting up to 70*C but is using _no_ thermal paste between the soc and the heatsink? Seriously? The hell's going on here? Using no thermal paste is the equivalent of using no heatsink at all. Seriousl, the what is going on here. I can't believe what I'm reading here.
Where are you getting this information that you are upset about?, is this even Pyra related?
Edit: saw your other post, which I replied to. In all EvilDragon's test it's running without a heat-sink..

Last edited by a moderator:

Where are you getting this information that you are upset about?, is this even Pyra related?

Edit: saw your other post, which I replied to. In all EvilDragon's test it's running without a heat-sink..
He said that the heat sink doesn't seem to help at all, so thus that's where i'm getting it from. There's no way a heat sink doesn't dissipate heat at all unless you're using some really crappy thermal paste.

He said that the heat sink doesn't seem to help at all, so thus that's where i'm getting it from. There's no way a heat sink doesn't dissipate heat at all unless you're using some really crappy thermal paste.
He took it off, I forgot where he exactly mentioned it, it may have been in an IRC chat I was having with him. I have an official OMAP5 devboard I purchased myself as well, It came with a very poor heat-sink attached and it would be what ever Ti used for thermal paste.

I assume the CPU's probably still packaged in a plastic case, or possibly ceramic, so there's little to no point putting thermal paste on an insulator. It's not like an x86 chip with a metal top.

I assume the CPU's probably still packaged in a plastic case, or possibly ceramic, so there's little to no point putting thermal paste on an insulator. It's not like an x86 chip with a metal top.
Then how in the world would adding additional copper to the pcb layers magically increase heat dissipation if everyting but the pins is ceramic? I know that the samsung soc dev boards(or might as well be them) all have heat sinks on them because it's pretty much required to run them at the ~300mhz overclock on each core and it's definitely reducing the cpu temps. This is without a fan, and the fan that can be attached is a very small/tiny one. I would still like to have a single tiny fan in there for emergency situtations and have it run to push heat off of the soc to try to keep it cooler when being stressed.

A fan won't fit anywhere, and yep, the SoC doesn't have a metal surface.

Heatsinks are gonna work though - not for lowering the temperature too much (which doesn't seem to be needed anyways), but to make sure the heat doesn't stay at one spot but gets distributed evenly.

Seriousl, the what is going on here. I can't believe what I'm reading here.
Yes, quite amazing isn't it? Able to run at such high clock speed for so long without any sort of heat dissipation and it still only reaches a comfortable 70C. I wish my desktop were anywhere near that power efficient but c'est la vie, even with active cooling it's hard to keep it below 80C with even a single core burning away. I hear x86 SoCs are getting to be this good as well but for now we should all marvel at the wonders of ARM technology and how they can run with such a low thermal footprint and not risk dying due to excessive heat.

Intel is losing substantial amounts of money on the low power envelope stuff.

The 5432 is 17x17mm, and mounted on a board it can even dissipate some heat through the PCB.

Mounting a heatsink only gives it more headroom, which means you can push it harder without running into problems.

In the end you trade weather sealing for not building up too much heat in the air that is inside the case, but i doubt that is a problem.

Maybe the speakers could be run at 2Hz to do some perspiration if all you do is compiling?

A fan won't fit anywhere, and yep, the SoC doesn't have a metal surface.

Heatsinks are gonna work though - not for lowering the temperature too much (which doesn't seem to be needed anyways), but to make sure the heat doesn't stay at one spot but gets distributed evenly.
What about a piezoelectric fan :D :

http://www.gizmag.com/ge-dual-piezo-cooling-jet/25447/

Or maybe a USB vacuum thingie, which extracts air thru the same USB port it's connected too. :lol:

I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Extracting-Cooling-Cooler-Notebook/dp/B00813KIAA

But's it looks too big for use with Pyra. -_-

This is exactly what comradekingu said, This piezo fan is basically a speaker running at 1Mhz.

That could actually work, i mean if you ever covered the hole of a subwoover you know how much wind this makes. 

But its only going back and forth and not blowing. You need to cover the hole with a membrane that only allows airflow in one direction.

For example a bird feather, they block one direction. 

Man i am a genius! I just invented the speaker driven bird feather cooler. Of to the patent office!  

^ Be sure to add some other hole in it for air intake though. Preferably with another one way membrane. Wow, you've just invented bellows! :)

Congratulations.  You have invented the diaphragm pump and reed valve.

Back