Letux-OS

Short update:

The SD card with letux-4.19.87 was incomplete because the kernel is missing on the download server.

If letux-4.19.88 .. 91 is installed on an SD card containing letux-4.19.86 or prior (without wiping the filesystem) the system works too.
The reason might be hidden in the modules.tgz archive. Archives newer than letux-4.19.86 containing only the bare lib folder. Older archives also carried content for folder etc, root and usr.
  1. download the file device-trees.tbz, modules.tgz and uImage for the kernel version you like to install (eg: http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.19.91/)
  2. mount you SD card and change into the root folder of the SD card (eg. /media/${USER}/rootfs)
  3. extract the modules archive into the current folder
  4. change into the boot folder of the SD card
  5. copy the uImage file into the current folder
  6. extract the device-trees.tbz into the current folder

Happy new year and thanks for this test&report!
I think I have found the issue and it is consistent with your finding that letux-4.19.86 still works.
There was recently a change in the build scripts for the modules.tgz package to better handle the SGX demo. Unfortuantely this missed to include some other essential files, especially one essential for setting up the X11 display.
I did not notice myself because I unpacked the incomplete modules.tgz and some other files over an existing installation. So I had the missing files from the complete modules.tgz packages. Sorry for that.
It should be fixed in letux-4.19.92. Please give it a try and let us know.

PS: Letux-4.19.87 does not work because this kernel was not built and published. We sometimes skip stable releases if they follow too quickly after each other. Then the boot process stops early.

EDIT: looks as if you already found the same solution (obviously I did not refresh my browser for some days). That is a good omen: 2020 must become a happy year :)

EDIT: looks as if you already found the same solution (obviously I did not refresh my browser for some days). That is a good omen: 2020 must become a happy year :)
Yeah, that's caught be out a few times already, although my leave open time is more easily measured in hours rather than days. I'm especially bad at noticing when a new page past what I'm reading has been posted, and I've discovered this forum no longer says 'there are more posts at the bottom' so you have to notice that the slightly lighter grey page box has a slightly darker grey page box to its right.

Happy new year and thanks for this test&report!
I think I have found the issue and it is consistent with your finding that letux-4.19.86 still works.
There was recently a change in the build scripts for the modules.tgz package to better handle the SGX demo. Unfortuantely this missed to include some other essential files, especially one essential for setting up the X11 display.
I did not notice myself because I unpacked the incomplete modules.tgz and some other files over an existing installation. So I had the missing files from the complete modules.tgz packages. Sorry for that.
It should be fixed in letux-4.19.92. Please give it a try and let us know.

PS: Letux-4.19.87 does not work because this kernel was not built and published. We sometimes skip stable releases if they follow too quickly after each other. Then the boot process stops early.

Is this problem limited to the 4.19 releases or the other releases too? That problem sounds like the cause of my 1GHz Pandora not booting...

Is this problem limited to the 4.19 releases or the other releases too? That problem sounds like the cause of my 1GHz Pandora not booting...
Please explain in more details (esp. versions) what you tried? For me letux OS (branch 4.19) re-started working with 4.19.92. The last version of 4.19 I tried on my Pandora was 4.19.94. Trying with letux version 5.4.8 my Pandora showed lxde desktop too, but the nubs were not working.

Reactions: rSl
There seems to be an unidentified difference between the 600 MHz (omap3530) and 1GHz (dm3730) pandoras.
Unfortunately, I do not have an 1GHz pandora (just GTA04 boards with dm3730 and those work) so I can't test myself.

My Pandora is a 1GHz model. If you have something to test, just ask (as long as it doesn't require to disassemble the Pandora)

Reactions: rSl
Hi is there a known way to produce an SD-Card to work with a Rebirth Pandora?

Just give it a try. It may (or not) be that the bug has been fixed unintentionally.
Then please report what you find out.

Just give it a try. It may (or not) be that the bug has been fixed unintentionally.
Then please report what you find out.
I tried the pandora with xfce with boot.txt renamed to autoboot.txt.. it seems to boot, the LED keeps on blinking orange, but the display stays black :(

Ok, that is already some good sign. Do you have a serial console cable to check what the kernel is doing and optionally get a console?

Ok, that is already some good sign. Do you have a serial console cable to check what the kernel is doing and optionally get a console?
Naa, don't have one, where can I get one?

If your SD card is too big it supposedly can take too long for the CPU to load it and is misses the boot timeout. You can try making a small partition on the card and using that, which may help.

If your SD card is too big it supposedly can take too long for the CPU to load it and is misses the boot timeout. You can try making a small partition on the card and using that, which may help.
My SD-Card has 32gb, so that might indeed be the case!

Very unlikely.

Naa, don't have one, where can I get one?
here:
I found a 16gb LetuxOS sdcard, I created a while ago (maybe June), and it is working fine!
I have not tried a 400GB (µ)SD card on the Pandora but other OMAP devices are running well with it. So I think size of the SD card doesn't matter.
Is there a way to modify a tv cable into a serial cable?
AFAIK, the TV cable alone isn't enough.

Last edited:
Very unlikely.
The card I used to use for booting and reflashing my Pandora was a 64GB Ultra Sandisk something or other. As a matter of habit, I created a small partition for my boot materials. I don't know if it would have worked if I'd not created that partition and it's something to do with the performance of that card that allows it, but it works for me.

I discovered your excellent work with letux, and thought I could see if I could help out.

I'm hoping to get postmarketOS running on my 1ghz pandora, using the letux kernel. So far I've successfully built and booted your 5.10 kernel and got wifi and keyboard working with no modifications on my end thanks to your hard work, and touchscreen is also working (but needs calibration).

I see the nubs are not included in this version (yet? or did i pick the wrong branch?) and there's a lot I haven't tested yet. I have a 600Mhz pandora I haven't booted in forever, but if it works, I'll test on that one too.

I have some issues with USB, but other than that, are there any known bugs/missing features I can help out with?

Back