Linux Is A Handful

I'll check out Ubuntu/Kbuntu, though. Much nicer to have a fully working system BEFORE you start digging around the advanced stuff.
If u still plan on checking out Ubuntu/Kbuntu Rico, make sure u try out Automatix.
Just found it about an hour ago & it works very well.
Not rearly a program, but a bunch of scripts that downloads & installs nearly all the most commonly used stuff.
Installs all the firefox plugins for java etc. & nearly all of the audio/video codecs u need.
Got a new Ubuntu system installed completely within 2 hours :D
I'd like to thank you too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, almost ALL of my worries about Linux are completely dissolved! Other than learning the shell, nothing stands in my way!

SuSE is probably the second easiest distro to use/set up, behind Ubuntu/Kbuntu, but I found everything I needed for SuSE so easy, even easier than first setting up Win XP! Honestly, SuSE is bundled with so many things that I use all the time and not even know about it.

Woohoo! <(The joy one feels after finally getting Linux woes off his chest...)

Congratulations.
I also switched to Linux fairly recently (though I'm 100% adapted now - I could never go back to Window), specifically Ubuntu. I'm surprised and impressed that you ended up using Linux in the end. Generally, when I see a person get mad about Linux not working the way they think it will, they instantly decide never to touch it again.

What media player did you end up using? I've yet to find anything for Linux really comparable to Winamp for audio and video... If only MPlayer wasn't so ugly.

Yeah, MPlayer and XMMS are skinnable. XMMS is actually compatible with Winamp skins, though I'm not sure if newer versions of Winamp have changed enough that this compatibility doesn't exist (I barely even touch Windows when I'm not at work). If you don't like MPlayer, then try VLC. I'm using it on my Ubuntu desktop at home and it works great.

I'm considering switching distros on that machine, though, because I'm not totally satisfied with Ubuntu AMD64.

My largest gripe with MPlayer isn't the skin itself so much as it is the menus (make that was, I just got it compiled with GTK2). Though, I would definaely take a standard GTK2 interface over a "skinnable" one any day.

My largest gripe with MPlayer isn't the skin itself so much as it is the menus (make that was, I just got it compiled with GTK2). Though, I would definaely take a standard GTK2 interface over a "skinnable" one any day.

Then open up Synaptic and search for VLC GTK. There's a version of VLC that uses a GTK2 interface and it works great. I've found it to work better than MPlayer for what I use it for. And install XMMS if you want a Winamp-alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If u want the modern style WinAmp skin to use with XMMS look Here!.
Only comes in the standard colour & style but that's what the Gimp is for ;)

14870-1.png

Found This! page as well. Should guide u through.. HOWTO From Winamp to XMMS.

Back