Linux

If you download an RPM program, make sure it is made for your version of SuSE.
You can run into a program that need certain dependancies. You will run into what has been termed as "dependancy hell" by the linux community. Just what exactly is it that you need or want to install?

darkman posted on Mar 10 2007 at 02:00 AM said:
A debian distro is a lot easier to deal with when installing programs. I would love to run a debian distro, but my home made computer will not boot some debian distros. I have tried others that will boot, but they will not recoginize all my hardware. I know that getting under the hood, so to speak, one could solve all that. I just don't have the time to fool with it. I do run a debian distro on one of my laptops. I basically run SuSE on my desktop because it sees everything and works with everything. I have learned to use it over the years and have been pretty satisfied with it. I have everything loaded that I need.

I will have to take a look at XFCE DemonStar55. I use Ice Windows on my laptop and really like it,.

purple_goat, you can high lite different package groups on the left and the programs will show up on the right. You might have found that out by now. :huh:
I have never had a hardware problem with any distro I've tried, SuSE, Ubuntu and Gentoo, the only one that I had to do things with was Gentoo, but that was just recompiling my kernel to get my Logitech Precision game pad to work. you must have some really weird hardware or something, or just wireless.

http://demonstar55.awardspace.com/desktop.html that's my XFCE layout, sorry for the non-direct link, stupid webhost, oh and ignore the title of the page... the not being able to just post the URL to the image angered me

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_goat posted on Mar 11 2007 at 01:01 AM said:
so? it's colorful and pleasing and happy

note: I am straight

edit: I have been told I was gay by my brothers bisexual friend, because of my wallpaper

DemonStar55 posted on Mar 10 2007 at 12:24 PM said:
I have never had a hardware problem with any distro I've tried, SuSE, Ubuntu and Gentoo, the only one that I had to do things with was Gentoo, but that was just recompiling my kernel to get my Logitech Precision game pad to work. you must have some really weird hardware or something, or just wireless.

Hmm... I've tried over 30 different distros. They all seem to have a bit of different way of seeing or detecting things. I have an IBM thinkpad, KDS Valiant laptop and my main rig has a FIC motherboard with an Athlon 2.4 gig CPU, Gforce Nvidia video card. Linux has no problem seeing those things. I also have a rig that I just tinker with or try distros on. It is all the other stuff like modems, scanners, and stuff that some distros don't just pick up when installing. Even different versions of SuSE seem to see, or detect, things differently. Some versions of SuSE will pick up my internal zip drive or modem and some will not. That has to do, I think, with the kernel. The older 2.4 will pick up my built in zip drive and modem and the new 2.6 will not. I would like to use something like Mepis or Knoppix. There are a few others that interest me. I run Libranet 2.8 on my KDS, because it detected everything. I tried Ubuntu, but not being a Gnome person, I found it very confusing. It also would not detect my internal, nor my external modem. Both are hardware modems and Linux compatable. To me, it just did not live up to the hipe. I have been thinking about getting a hold of the KDS version.

The thing is, whatever distro I use it has to detect and configure my scanner and at least one of my modems on install. I really don't want to be bothered with trying to get things working. I just want to install and go to work. :)

thanks (is it possible to see stuff online like on the dvd?)
purple_goat, I don't think so, unless you use a different package manager other than YaST. The community editon, "open SuSE," is able to use another package manager, but I have not tried that.

Sorry for the long post.
And I see nothing gay about a rainbow. :blink: Is the sky gay whenever there is one up there? :huh: Very strange thinking, to me.

darkman posted on Mar 11 2007 at 04:05 AM said:
Sorry for the long post.
And I see nothing gay about a rainbow. :blink: Is the sky gay whenever there is one up there? :huh: Very strange thinking, to me.
neither do I, but they're considered a symbol for gay people so whatevs

I used Synaptic on my SuSE box (commercial edition I got for free with Linux Magazine) and it worked fine.

purple_goat posted on Mar 11 2007 at 03:34 PM said:
gay jokes aside,
wouldn't it be rather distracting?

my linux one is the default blue
and my XP is all purple backround (now it's your turn to make a gay joke :lol: )
lol, well your name is purple_goat ;)

well rainbow is more gay rights, which I do support, so whatevs.

I don't think it's distracting, I mean, how much of the time do I actually see it? not while playing games or using firefox, only while IMing or when nothing is open.

oh, and everyone should install xpenguins, just because it's awesome

purple_goat posted on Mar 12 2007 at 12:16 AM said:
I'm pro gay rights too :blink:

whats xpenguins??
multiple small tux run around your desktop

you can change tux tho to other things too, but it's just entertaining

okay nick, that confused me :blink:
(I installed it and did hte run command, but nothing)

the kde applet didn't work either..
cry.gif

purple_goat posted on Mar 12 2007 at 03:11 PM said:
how do I launch it?
It's not in my K menu (start) bar
Open up Terminal / Konsol / etc, type xpenguins, you can also type xpenguins --help and it will tell other attributes you can pass, like number of penguins, what theme to use, and to be able to kill them

Back