Linux

I've been using SuSE for around six years.
there are a lot of programs on the install disc, or should be. If you have Yast opened up, just click on software management.
A new window should open up. In the upper left-hand corner where it says filter and beside it, it says search, click on that little arrow and a small menu should drop down. High-lite and click on package groups. You should see a lot of programs pop up. The ones that are checked are whats installed.

At the bottom of your Yast window I would check the box beside auto check for the dependencies. Then when you make a check on the program you want to install, just click on accept.

You said that you got this with a book. Is there some reason why you are not reading the book? :huh: It should have this info in there.

Loading an RPM that you download from the net is a little different.

purple_goat posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:22 PM said:
yeah, I really like linux but I still cannot install anyting..
anybody using suse? :(

imo i hated suse for that reason, imo you should try Ubuntum its is alot easier...Suse is kinda complicated when it comes to installing stuff not already in the repos.... but if you read everything on the suse wiki a few times you should get the hang of it (hence demonstar55's post)

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_goat posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:16 PM said:
dudes, I'm still confused w/e <_<
you need to log in as root, should be able to do that through the GUI and it should prompt on the program thingy

in the terminal you can type 'su' and it will prompt for the pass and you can do things as root in the terminal, you said you got a book right, that should have something in it

also remember the sudo command in the terminal, that helps alot if you dont like switching back and forth to the root user (it helps prevent alot of n00b errors)

and yeah read the book! it should have all this info (and more in it)

purple_goat posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:16 PM said:
dudes at I'm still confused w/e <_<
Look in your start menu for "system." When you put your cursor there a menu should pop up. Move your cursor down until it is on "Control Center (YaST)." that is the program that you want to open. It will prompt you for your "root password" once you click on this. :huh:

darkman posted on Mar 9 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:16 PM said:
dudes at I'm still confused w/e <_<
Look in your start menu for "system." When you put your cursor there a menu should pop up. Move your cursor down until it is on "Control Center (YaST)." that is the program that you want to open. It will prompt you for your "root password" once you click on this. :huh:
and theeeeen...

You type in your root password

OK..............
If you have opened YaST you should have a screen like this..
yast4_0.png

If you have clicked on "Software Management" you should have a screen like this...
yast3_0.png

And in the very top left hand corner where you see the word filter underneath the word file, right beside the word "filter" is the word "search." Click on that and a little menu drops down. High lite package groups and click on it. You should get a screen like this...
yast2_0.png

The list on the right contains loads of programs! Be sure to do a check in the depedancy box at the bottom beside auto check. Then just put a check in the box beside the program that you want to install. Then click the "accept" button at the bottom.

Are we on the same page..... <_<

edit: typos, of course.

Y'know, that looks a little complicated. Ubuntu's Add/Remove menu is a whole lot easier.

I use Synaptic though, and that's almost the same :)

apt-get a linux for dummies book

nickspoon posted on Mar 9 2007 at 03:41 PM said:
Y'know, that looks a little complicated. Ubuntu's Add/Remove menu is a whole lot easier.

I use Synaptic though, and that's almost the same :)
you can use Synaptic on SuSE, I did, before I switched to Ubuntu, but then I just kind of started using aptitude instead and now I just use emerge with Gentoo

@Darkman, if you had an extra bar at the top of your KDE set up with the Task Lists, it would be almost the same as my XFCE set up. You do this on KDE, which I did when I used KDE.

A debian distro is a lot easier to deal with when installing programs. I would love to run a debian distro, but my home made computer will not boot some debian distros. I have tried others that will boot, but they will not recoginize all my hardware. I know that getting under the hood, so to speak, one could solve all that. I just don't have the time to fool with it. I do run a debian distro on one of my laptops. I basically run SuSE on my desktop because it sees everything and works with everything. I have learned to use it over the years and have been pretty satisfied with it. I have everything loaded that I need.

I will have to take a look at XFCE DemonStar55. I use Ice Windows on my laptop and really like it,.

purple_goat, you can high lite different package groups on the left and the programs will show up on the right. You might have found that out by now. :huh:

Back