Liquidwar2x V0.1 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
ParkyDR ported another cool game to the gp2x: Liquid War 5

Liquid War is a unique multiplayer wargame. Its rules are truly original and have been invented by Thomas Colcombet.

lw.jpg

You control an army of liquid and have to try and eat your opponents.

Download: LiquidWar2x
Homepage: http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/drparker/gp2x.html

Hey, it's pretty fun!

It runs a little slow on some of the other maps (probably because I set up the max amount of cpu players), and the menu text is a little difficult to read, but for a first release it's very good :)

Parkydr posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
I should have mentioned in the readme to avoid big maps, it scales them, making the movement seem very slow.

Is there no way to make the map auto-scroll instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vynx posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
I should have mentioned in the readme to avoid big maps, it scales them, making the movement seem very slow.

Is there no way to make the map auto-scroll instead?

May be but I haven't really looked at that yet. I want to sort out the menus etc first which means altering allegro.

The other thing I want to do is get the networking a bit more usable. I have connected to a local game ok but you have to edit the config file, and I've connected to an internet game but there just seemed to be me waiting for 5 other players.

Great game, simple but really addictive!

Thought I needed glasses when I saw the menu, but you've already identified the need to sort them out so we'll say no more. I can see my missus moaning at me some more now! :)

yet another awsome port parkydr. thanks for releasing this. this game is so simple to play yet addictive and with an amount of depth that it doesn't get boring soon.

the design philosophy behind the game is perfect as a starting point for a gp2x rts. its cursor based yet doesn't need a mouse as everyone's cursor moves the same speed and you can see everyones cursor. you can see the whole screen at once. there is no clicking troops they just automatically follow you. the ideas behind this game could easily be applied to other rts games and would be great for when a mouse just isn't an option.

if anyone knows any games that have a similar design I would really like to know of any.

winapa posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:31 PM said:
Great game, simple but really addictive!

Thought I needed glasses when I saw the menu, but you've already identified the need to sort them out so we'll say no more. I can see my missus moaning at me some more now! :)

I was referring to making selections, I've tried to emulate mouse selection, but gp2x allegro emulates keys, sometimes the two clash and you might not get what you thought you selected. I thought the key selection would be ok, but it's almost impossible to use in the map menu because to the colour selection.

I presume you mean the blurry font (which the author mentions here). I didn't really notice it as I've been playing Liquid War on my PC for a couple of years, but I see what you mean, I think the small screen makes it worse. I'll see what I can do.

@Vynx - for big maps change the cursor option to x3 in the rules menu, this will make the cursor move faster.

@jbrodack - Thanks for the positive comments, I was in 2 minds about releasing it before fixing up some of the selection problems, volume keys etc. I ported it quite a while ago (it's a favourite of my son). It was playable, but I only just got round to making it minimum release quality by adding mouse control and the loading screen (screen just went black for 15 seconds).

I must admit I had thought i'd selected one thing and got another but put it down to my hammer thumbs :lol:

Even if you left it as it was, i'd still play it to death! I've had to resurect old swearwords as I wore out the usuals when I kept getting beaten!

Parkydr posted on Jul 17 2006 at 01:52 AM said:
@Vynx - for big maps change the cursor option to x3 in the rules menu, this will make the cursor move faster.
Can you make it increase the cursor speed automatically on larger maps? IMO this would be better than autoscroll.

Definitely an interesting game. :)

rabidcow posted on Jul 17 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Jul 17 2006 at 01:52 AM said:
Can you make it increase the cursor speed automatically on larger maps? IMO this would be better than autoscroll.

Definitely an interesting game. :)

Good idea - might be possible

Some nice news when coming back from holidays :) This game is the only reason I keep those damn allegro libs near my computer. Nice to see someone porting it to gp2x!

Hey, I never heard of the game before - and I can't stop playing it. Very nice, if only the CPU players were a bit smarter. The inreased cursor speed for huge maps sounds good.

I'm really looking forward to updates - thanks for this port, Parkydr.

Thanks Parkydr.
I played this one a lot during my last week. It's incredibly addictive !
It's so simple to handle, the gameplay and the strategy are intuitive.
I didn't konw this game to and I'm glad to know it now with your port.

Back