Litebrite Joystick Mod

Guppy

Still Fresh
I've been looking at some of the mods and thought now nice it would be to have a little joystick instead of a disk. I searches around my closet and found my old lite brite... (Yes, I'm 38, and I've got a lite brite) anyhow. a little hacking with a pocket knife and a little drilling in the rounded end (the cut end was too wide) and presto! instant joystick, and 7 brilliant colors to choose from (and clear if you've got a thing against color)

litebrite.jpg

It took a few tries to get the hole drilled without an angle to it, but what the heck, I have alot of pegs :) oh, and now no dead zone, since the peg doesn't hit the edges of the opening.

That picture isn't working for me.

Edit: And of course it starts working at the exact moment I posted this, thus making me look like an idiot.

Neat stick, though.

:lol:

Very VERY nice!!! That's got to be the funkiest mod yet ... great idea!

Looks ridiculous, but credit for making a joystick out of a child's stick-plastic-in-hole-to-make-picture (I just learnt what a lite brite is) toy.

Looks cool. I think we all need to hit the hardware store, toy store, arts and craft stores and see what we can come up with to mod. :lol:

whahahaha! awesome man!

Seriously clever, and stylish to boot. A++.

My only gripe is that the stick is kinda large for casing. but if you really like the mod I suppose there are ways around it....

Wow, that's lots cheaper than cutting up a MadCatz controller. I was thinking of hacking the left one off of my MadCatz PS2 controller since I haven't played a game that used the left one. But I could try this first.

Thanx,
Stan

thats cool, but how does it feel on the thumb? i'd imagine something that thin would be uncomfortable

And for his next trick...

...he sticks an LED under it and it lights up!

Open up the GP2X and relocate the power LED so it is in the joystick. Two fine wires coming out between the switch and the case up into the Lite Brite where an LED is placed in the hole.

thats cool, but how does it feel on the thumb? i'd imagine something that thin would be uncomfortable
I had some thin stuff like this lying around and tried it, and it was uncomfortable for me.

I settled on a small ball top that makes the stick about a 100x better. Instantly solved most of my control gripes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feels fine by thumb play, though I'll sometimes grab it between thumb and forefinger.

with the pointy bit of the peg still attached it's pretty darn uncomfortable ;) thouggh once trimmed, it's nice.

I had some thin stuff like this lying around and tried it, and it was uncomfortable for me.

I settled on a small ball top that makes the stick about a 100x better. Instantly solved most of my control gripes.

My first inclination was to use a bead of some sort... but I didn't have anything like that around... hmmm maybe if I melt it into a rounder tip.... *lights house on fire* whoops

Back