Little Development Update About My Side Scroller

sebt3 said:
authoreyes said:
So you remember how to code ;)

Cool. Have a great day Mark

Haha ... barely :)

We'll see...I remember c++, but at work I do java/android stuff, and I haven't done that in so long...I hope I remember....

I hate to keep talking about it (still dealing with the effects), but the chemo really does make you stupid/cloudy...They call it "chemo brain"...

Last edited by a moderator:
'looking at ways to work around my graphical prowess short-comings'

That's my whole homebrew career in a sentence :lol:

The collision detection for the corner parts of the platforms looks spot on. You using a mask layer for that?

Jumps look a bit artificial to me. I always do jumping with an initial y_acceleration set a bit higher than half of one game tile. Then decrease the y_acceleration by one (or whatever) and only check 'landing' if the y_acceleration is a minus number.

like this:
Code:
init_jump()
{
   y_acceleration=9; // block size = 16
}

do_jump()
{
  y+=y_acceleration;
  y_acceleration--;
}

collision_detection()
{
  if (y_acceleration<0)
  {
    is there a block below to collide with?
  }
}

Unfathomable Depths said:
'looking at ways to work around my graphical prowess short-comings'

That's my whole homebrew career in a sentence :lol:

The collision detection for the corner parts of the platforms looks spot on. You using a mask layer for that?

Jumps look a bit artificial to me. I always do jumping with an initial y_acceleration set a bit higher than half of one game tile. Then decrease the y_acceleration by one (or whatever) and only check 'landing' if the y_acceleration is a minus number.

Actually, that is pretty much exactly how I do my jumping :) I just need to fine tune the gravity/negative acceleration...Right now, things are happening in very small increments as it makes it easier for me to catch bugs...

For collision detection, there are no masks...basically my sprites are multiples of 16 (the tile size), so i just calculate borders and check the tiles at the adjacent spots (with a bit of allowed wiggle room, since you move in increments of 1 px, which gets normalized to the grid)...I might need to add masking in the future for more precision, but right now it works (mostly)...still tons to do :)

Thanks much for the input!

For collision detection, there are no masks...basically my sprites are multiples of 16 (the tile size), so i just calculate borders and check the tiles at the adjacent spots

That's really nice then. I just assumed you where using a mask because it looks pixel accurate :)

I'm assuming that also means slopes....

Unfathomable Depths said:
I'm assuming that also means slopes....

You had to bring up slopes, didn't ya???? :)

Yeah, haven't really started that yet...have some ideas to where I wouldn't have to change much....but, it might look off with the current detection...

Back