Loader/off/sleep issues

jontheramer

Still Fresh
My Pandora randomly comes on after a while and seems to stop loading at that time.

When connected to power, after playing a before-bed game, I switch it off or get it to sleep; it is loading, when I wake up, it's on and usually on 80% battery.

This happens every time and it's really annoying. It's clapped shut but you just feel the heat on the bottom that it has been on for hours while it definitely was asleep or OFF(!) when I went to sleep.

Last night I left the clam open and switched it off without power connected; it came on and 1% battery is left.

Why is this and what do I do to prevent it?

Edit: Maybe on a power fluctuation it will think the power has just been inserted and it will start? That would explain when the power cable is in. Can it be set so it won't go on when you plug power in? I see no use for that anyway?

For the not connection to power situation it doesn't explain it ; problem ofcourse is that when I go out of the country for a bit by plane, I would be able to make use of the 10 hours battery life (I usually have more actually), however, it switches on at random times in my pocket and if i don't notice it will burn hours during meetings leaving me without battery in the plane...

Edit2: another thing I notice is that when I plugin power, the light goes red, after it switches on out of it's own hour(s) later, the light is green and remains green until I take out and plugin power again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP turns on when connected to AC. It's a common feature over ARM devices like phones, etc.

The device turning on by itself is strange.

May be the battery that moves a little and activate the unit.

It is normal behabiour, that the unit needs to be on to be charged. The charging is controlled by software, so it needs the system to not overcharge.

Most mobile devices do this even if it is not obvious, as they have some minimal software, that is booted when they charge. Pandora doesn't (right now) have this software.

The battery gets warm while charging. Thats normal, too. It shouldn't get too warm while it operates normally though.

Edit: ninjad

Interesting, my Pandora shows the very same behaviour as the original poster's one.

Once I thought it was because the closed device was moved and the lid switch activated it but then I decided to just switch off the screen when closing the lid an to manually power it down by the power switch: Still it often wakes up when charged (not sure if it always wakes up though).

Side note: Mine is one of the Pandoras that couldn't be charged to 100% with hotfix 6.

If you "power it down" with the switch, it is in hinernation/standby mode, not off! It will still consume power and will be waken up from different events.

Power it off by selecting shutdown in the main menu or in minimenu.

Yes, I shutdown from the menu when I shut down. However; you say it should be one when I charge it? That's better? Because if I know that then I can do that :)

Thanks!

If you "power it down" with the switch, it is in hinernation/standby mode, not off! It will still consume power and will be waken up from different events.

Okay, just to clarify for the original poster.

Shutdown is done via menu and the Pandora is then "off". Nonetheless it will boot up if you connect your charger then. And it will stay in booted state while you charge (hint: green led lit full). If you go into "low power mode" either by shifting the power switch to the right or by means of the lid-close-settings it will continue charging but more quickly as power consumption is reduced (hint: green led is dimmed). If you try to shut down now, device will simply reboot.

So you can't shut down while charging! But you can go to low power mode (and should if you don't need to use your Pandora while charging).

But what would this "different events" be? As no PND is running I expect my pandora to hibernate until I turn the power switch to the right.

Hm, just tested:

1. Pandy in low power mode, led is dimmed

2. Connected to charger, wakes up, green led is fully lit, red light is lit

3. Go to low power mode again with switch, green led is dimmed, red led stays fully lid

All as expected.

But what happens if the charger drops the current for some (even very short) time? Would the Pandora think, it is reconnected?

Actually I have no clue ;) Maybe really a bit of a loose battery. Try putting some paper between the batterydoor and the battery to make it fit more tightly. That could solve such an issue.

Actually I have no clue ;) Maybe really a bit of a loose battery. Try putting some paper between the batterydoor and the battery to make it fit more tightly. That could solve such an issue.

Just edited my previous post for a new idea. Sorry, must leave for today. Thank you for your suggestions.

Back