Local Network

RubiX

Still Fresh
Hey all.

Just wondering about connecting the Pandora to a local network (without wireless)

Shouldnt be a problem just with a usb ethernet adapter right? I've never tried a usb NIC in linux before, just wondering if they are easy enough to configure. I would love to be able to just plug into a hub, even just to play QuakeIII at a friends, as I dont have a laptop hehe.

Definitely very excited for this, my main usage will definitely be for Amiga emulation!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this article:
CODE
http://free-electrons.com/blog/usbeth/

These things aren't tested on Pandora yet, but it's only a matter of time.

'Gruso' said:
Check out this article:
CODE
http://free-electrons.com/blog/usbeth/

These things aren't tested on Pandora yet, but it's only a matter of time.
Oh nice info there =)

From what I recall, ED, DJWillis and Notaz have all used USB Ethernet dongles to get on the internet. I would have tried it too if any store I knew of in this city carried them. :)

What are these stores you speak of? Doesn't everybody just order online?

'Phawx' said:
What are these stores you speak of? Doesn't everybody just order online?
This one is USB 2.0 and guaranteed to work under Linux:
CODE
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114017CVF

The Linux kernel has the usbnet driver, which I believe (although I could be wrong) could be used on the Pandora to connect it directly to another computer (from its slave port, not the host port) which should create a usb0 interface which acts as any other interface, so you could set easily assign an IP address to the interface on both the computer and the Pandora, and then set up a MASQUERADE or SNAT rule in iptables on the computer to allow the Pandora internet access through it.

I bought one of these for 1 UK Pound from ebay! Came from China, cost about a pound postage. I just wanted to see if it worked under linux and it did, first time without any configuration (under Debian). I was very impressed!

usb - ethernet dongles work fine on the beagle board under angstrom, so that bodes well for the pandora...

Rick

OTG usb gadget driver has been used to get internet access through a pc, i havnt done it myself yet but I plan on it.
jscinoz description is correct.

'Pickle' said:
OTG usb gadget driver has been used to get internet access through a pc, i havnt done it myself yet but I plan on it.
jscinoz description is correct.
the only problem with the usb gadget solution is that requires a computer near pandora, turned on, so it is probably better for developement or software installation than just to use the pandora e.g. to browse the net.

I've already bought a linksys usb ethernet adapter, tested it on a beagleboard, and I plan to use it when I'm at home. Also, a long ethernet cable is way cheaper than a long USB cable, and still safer than wifi.

I've got one that looks identical to this: http://www.asia.ru/ProductInfo/63987.html

Bought it at one of those 'poundland' or similar shops for £2.99 - works flawlessly with linux, and more importantly with my PXA270 gumstix (an ARM like the OMAP in pandora), no configuration required - just plug it in. I'm pretty sure this a no-name generic design that comes from somewhere in asia... I expect they are all over ebay (but don't have ebay at work). It works very well...

'MWeston' said:
From what I recall, ED, DJWillis and Notaz have all used USB Ethernet dongles to get on the internet. I would have tried it too if any store I knew of in this city carried them. :)
Is WPA2 encryption working on pandora, will there a be gui for that or just wpa_supplicant?

Regards

André

USB networking should be fine (I don't know if it will require using the OTG port or not, I don't remember the exact limitations of the Pandora in that respect).

Perhaps more convenient would be using Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi. IIRC, you just set your channel/SSID the same as everybody else's, give yourself an IP address, and off you go.

Back