looking for partners to finish my Tablet

I see the Pandora team still assemble it abroad
They actually don't assemble it abroad, but do it themselves.

Sound like an interesting project. Although there are already soooo many android tablets out there.

You really have to stand out with something spesjul.

Anyway, I probably don't have any skills you could use, but I'd be happy to beta-test for you.

Good luck anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They actually don't assemble it abroad, but do it themselves.

Sound like an interesting project. Although there are already soooo many android tablets out there.

You really have to stand out with something
Yes,I meant abroad from the pcb manufacturing.Or even the pcb is made in USA?

Anyway I agree about standing out.Anyway I have my good points(WHDI,OpenCL,Video playback).

Initially I was planning to integrate PixelQi,but the price is still too high and the new version with better contrast should be ready only now.

Plus without a good capacitive glass touchscreen with antireflection you lose the key aspect of it and PixelQi + good capacitive raised the price almost 200 usd more...

That's the attitude! :lol:

Wish I could help, good luck to ya :)
Yes,that's the normal time it should take being based on a total solution the chip maker itself designed and debugged.But this only if you don't work with incompetent people who delay everything....

And that's why I'm here....

Why the heck use android ?!!?

If you have a killer hardware, why not simply use a customized mainline Linux distro ?

Android is almost insecure as windows and almost overhyped as ios...

00christian00 this sounds interesting and I wish you luck. What others have already said about standing out is certainly true.

I see Craig has already posted that he'd help, and of all of us he and the OpenPandora team probably have the most experience getting product to market...as he's done it already and is in the process of smoothing out the component manufacturing, and is working on a second product the iControlPad.

The Pandora as a primarily gaming device has its niche. You'll need to make sure that your tablet either has its own niche or is competitive with other tablets price/performance wise. Being a general use Android tablet this might be the trickiest thing to do since the turn over rate on "new hardware" for cell phones / tablets seems so incredibly quick right now. I don't think a tablet can survive being on "old" tech the way a hand held console can.

Cheers and good luck!

Why the heck use android ?!!?

If you have a killer hardware, why not simply use a customized mainline Linux distro ?

Android is almost insecure as windows and almost overhyped as ios...
Three main reason:

1-The first you just mentioned it.It is overhyped=consumer want it.

2-Linux distro and applications are all except touch friendly.

3-Ziilabs itself due to the huge popularity of Android is putting all the resources on it,so the Linux BSP is lagging behind a lot.

I was planning on doing a dual OS(linux + Ubuntu or Angstrom),but before I wanted to focus on Android given the fact they provide a ready optimized android OS.

But to get them work on the linux bsp,I first need to bring orders :)

Scam. World + dog have all got tablets based on reference designs. What's your USP? If you think you just need a couple of man months software, just look at the effort that went into (and is still going into) the pandora firmware. Android today on a tablet is harder because of the missing hardware (like the radio).

Scam. World + dog have all got tablets based on reference designs. What's your USP? If you think you just need a couple of man months software, just look at the effort that went into (and is still going into) the pandora firmware. Android today on a tablet is harder because of the missing hardware (like the radio).
If you speak normally I can give you a proper reply....

1-Who spoke about 2 man months software?It's actually 2 months just for assuring the hardware design is fine....

2-There is reference design and reference design.Mine is a total solution(hardware + software) and it's not free,I paid lots of money for it.

3-What the hell is USP?!

4-Why you attack somebody without even knowing the situation?

5-I didn't ask any money to anybody yet,where can the scam be?

6-And anybody interested,if I'll judge it worth of teaming up,can check the real project situation

7-Do you want to see a video of my Zii development Kit?

Try buying that anywhere if you can,I'm 1000%(the zero more is on purpose),Ziilabs won't even reply you,if you email them you want to buy it.

Sorry if I replied harsh,I don't like to be called scam.

EDIT

I forgot :

8-I put my REAL name and my website.Anybody can contact me from the website.

Or do you think I hacked the website to make this scam?

Or you think all the announcement I made so far and got posted on Engadget were fake?

Or you think I have fake distributors in japan ( http://www.hallods.co.jp/ ) ?

EDIT2

If you still think I'm a scam,I was also a software deloloper myself.

I made the porting of several emulators to UIQ symbian :

eTurbografx16 Turbografx emulator

eSwan Wonderswan

eCast Atari ST

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30478

http://my-symbian.com/uiq/software/search.php?search=Christian

I would really like to see the android support, especially for those who are not fans of standard linux such as myself. I'm sure the community could pull off a very decent standard linux distro and maintain that and I'm sure will see tons of support and updates as a dual-boot option or maybe even a community driven OS. Get android working as the main OS from the start though to boost sales and give the not so "die hard" an option they can feel confortable using, then just let it go or die or whatever, anyone else interested in maintaining it can at that point can, especially if the manufacturer in the chipset is giving official supprt for it. Most of the work that is done keeping android working well is from the literally millions of android users. Maybe even do the major updates to android if you feel like keeping up with it but it won't really be needed as long as their's people using legacy phones there will be some channel of support for the older versions of the OS.

Why I even suggest to do android first, is because android on the pandora while said to likely eventually happen, hasn't yet. Even though people have been saying it literally for years and continue to drop a video of a dead project from a non-existant developer. No WIP project has been publicly announced and only some people agreeing it would be cool while other show a almost holy war stance against it. It forces the pandora to stay in a niche that at the moment appears to be working well, but if you have big hardware sales numbers in mind is definitely not what you want. The diehard community that want to show the device it's true potential with a standard linux build is by far not the majority of the consumer base.

3-What the hell is USP?!

QED. What differentiates your product?

There are already some cheap android tablets, and tegra2 tablets, and tablets for people who like the Apple interface. CES seems to have been full of tablets. If you're for real, I suspect you have missed the boat on this one. Find something different to put an android/touchscreen interface on, and you might find a niche somewhere.

Get android working as the main OS from the start though to boost sales and give the not so "die hard" an option they can feel confortable using, then just let it go or die or whatever, anyone else interested in maintaining it can at that point can, especially if the manufacturer in the chipset is giving official supprt for it.
It should be easy - but noone has bothered yet... also, without the market and gapps, android is not consumer friendly. This is why everyone is now holding off till 3.0 before releasing their tablets. Android on a netbook type device is just wrong - the right apps don't exist. Look at the ac100 - lots of ubuntu development interest, and zero android developer interest (not even a market hack)

people having been saying "it should be easy" for years.... no one has bothered yet is correct... 2 years though... "yea it's possible" looses a lot of it's ground when nobody ever actually does it.

the market can be put on, I'll do it myself and provide you and everyone else a guide on how to do it yourself if someone ports android. I did it on the odroid, I'll do it for the pandora. How is the current software distrobution method for the pandora any easier than getting your software from a source like getjar or the upteen 3rd party sources each with more and extremely similar titles to that of the current pandora app catalog.

"android is not consumer friendly" yea, 26% of us smartphone sales... horribly convoluted os, 2nd most popular to only blackberry.. My grandmother has an android phone.... I totally see your point.

pandora doesn't have a mouse... the mouse is what makes android so non-intuitive on a netbook... android is focused around having a touch screen, keyboard, and trackball. What things do that smartbook you listed not have? I have a phone with a similar form factor to the pandora, if you added more controls it would still work just fine trust me. The right apps do exist, you don't know what you're talking about, plenty of apps use physical buttons and landscape or portrait mode. Not every single app uses portrait mode only, touch screen only, accelorometer only, 3g only, and gps only. I'd say a majority of the apps are actually the exact opposite. I do in fact know what I'm talking about when it comes to android.

I'm not going to respond anymore to any of the android talk, I will not threadjack, I've done it too many times in the past, I've also made my points plenty of times in the past... I've even got blamed for why it hasn't been ported before, so that's the end of it for me.

I think you should not discourage him.

He as already done so much to make his device, that would be sad if he gave up.

He as done a really good thing : asking more experienced people advice and help.

And that's not an easy move to make.

So just let Craig and the team answer his questions and maybe we'll have another choice to pick from when searching for a tablet.

00christian00, I honestly don't know if 2 months are enough to finalize your tablet, but I do hope you'll get it done!

It's nice to see small teams getting the dream done even when you know how hard it is to get it from dream to reality.

Don't give up, it took a pretty long time for pandora to be, but OpenPandora is still here.

@MWeston

I know,that's where our reference design come from! I explained it better here :

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58150-looking-for-partners-to-finish-my-tablet/page__st__15__gopid__934080&#entry934080

@Kodein

Thanks for your support. 2 months is the time that is supposed to take with the right,experienced people,which I currently don't have(although they are paid as much as the experienced one).

With the team I have it could take 2 as it could take 10.

In my opinion it is achievable,if there is something that I learnt in these years of running a business is be realistic and concrete,that's why there won't be any 3D screen,fancy UI or anything else that would require a huge R&D and could become obsolete by the time is ready.

Pandora design is totally different,and that's why they had so many unforeseen delays.They designed everything from the ground,didn't have access to any reference design,stable drivers,technical support from TI(not at professional level for sure,with a technician following their project personally).On top of that they even designed some custom component,the nubs.

Our approach is the total opposite,everything is ready and tested,nothing will be custom designed for us,not even the video out cables,since we use plain HDMI.

If the wifi driver has problem,we can complain to the vendor since we paid for a stable driver.

If the gps driver has issues we can complain and get it fixed.

If the 3D drivers has problem with some game,we can get it fixed.

If we encounter some issue on our board,we can ask some of their technician to help identify the issue.

This is all kind of services I don't think the pandora team had access,and they had to fix by themselves.

i will be the first to give you some needed motivation, here it is....are you ready?

Vaporware.

Back