Evercade - buy your retro games on carts for this thing

Yes, they aren't keen on the format, but seem to like the hardware, beyond it showing essentially 4:3 (or 3:4 presumably) games on a 16:9 screen. But their main beef seems to be the fact you have to swap cartridges when you want to change the type of game you want to play. That has made me revisit that fact personally as well, although part of it for me was always having a retail release of games I've long had the roms for, but without physical media to back them up. The same reason I used to buy arcade collections on CDs and DVDs back in the day.

I'll be honest, when i go back back to loading C64 titles, even though they are still miles quicker than back in the day, i sometimes get a bit "meh"...

However, the downside I've come to see with roms, is the general short playtime of just about every game, with it being so easy to just change. When you loaded a c64 cassette, there was no way after 20 minutes waiting for it to load were you going to switch it off after a single go

Even before the backups/roms we had the switch to first discs from tapes, then on to CDs and that sort of thing. But by the end of that, I was already cussing the splash screens that popped up for game engines and music codecs that added to the load time in a way that didn't add one jot to my enjoyment. I even stopped playing GTA: Vice City on PS2 due to the terrible load times. The quicker the actual data load times, the more frustrated we allow ourselves to become with anything else.

Atari lynx collections coming in November.

Attachments

• C06F2FD4-E376-4B8B-ACBC-35ADD66F2761.png
    C06F2FD4-E376-4B8B-ACBC-35ADD66F2761.png
    583.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 26EA12D9-1070-471B-B834-EC4065FFF137.png
    26EA12D9-1070-471B-B834-EC4065FFF137.png
    589.2 KB · Views: 168
Just checked in on Evercade. Apparently, they're still going strong, with carts 15 and 16. Cart 15 is by a new partner, Jaleco.

I'm kinda sad that Jaleco Collection 1 doesn't have Avenging Spirit though, since that's like the only Jaleco game I know.

Hey, if 16:9 ratio is a problem for you, you might wanna give me your Pyra preorder.

But yeah, I dunno why they went with it either to be honest. They probably just couldn't find any 4:3 displays still being made.

Reactions: rSl
Hey, if 16:9 ratio is a problem for you, you might wanna give me your Pyra preorder.

But yeah, I dunno why they went with it either to be honest. They probably just couldn't find any 4:3 displays still being made.

There are a bunch of Chinese handhelds out with 3.5" 320x240 or 640x480 displays. I don't think that was the reason.

Now that I think about it, TV out was advertised as a huge feature of Evercade. Since most TVs are 16:9 now, they might've wanted a display the same as that so they wouldn't have to make two different modes.

Hm, I'm still wondering if I should stock it.
I mean, I put all carts and the console into my shop already... but how many would buy it?
Maybe I should make a poll upfront to get some numbers.

Some updates. There's a new piece of hardware called the Evercade VS coming soon. It is TV only, but allows for up to four players, and is compatible with most of the previous Evercade cartridges.

Also, their official cartridge list no longer contains the Oliver Twins Collection. RIP #12 of 19.

You also can use the Evercade Handheld as controller for the VS, nice idea.

VS-image_leftt-1.png

I just did not find much infos about the CPU they use for the VS. Just some "Quad Core 1.5 Ghz processor".

Back