Looking To Buy A New Pc

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 16 2005 at 05:58 AM said:
2ghz AMD Sempron
512 RAM DDR
and a PCCHIPS M848A motherboard
(trooper helped me w/ these. Thank you so much Trooper!!)

I had only $200

I also payed $50 for a nVidia GeForce FX 5200
mom got me a casefan because I needed one and didn't have the money
and my dad bought me a 350 watt ps for $50

so tahts about $300

and now Im using my old computer parts to build a MAME cabinet :p

Thanks DemonStar, I thought the info may come in handy for someone.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering demonstar... not to invade any privacy or anything :p , but what do you usually use your computer for?

if you're even thinking about gaming make sure that no matter where you buy it from you have an agp or pci-e port because my parents computer has integrated graphics which means you can only get regular pci graphics cards (pci-e wasn't out when we got it) which severely limits your graphics capabilities. It would also be a good idea to get a motherboard that supports a lot of RAM (4GB would be great). I'd probably look for an athlon 64 3000+ processor. You really don't need a giant hard drive unless you're downloading a lot of music, games, and movies. Also, you might want to look into getting a slightly more powerful power supply... I think Certain Cards require a certain level of power. My friend got a really nice case and 500watt power supply (with the new xconnect cords) for a little bit over $100 (of course, he was building his computer from scratch and it cost him $1300). He bought all of his stuff from www.tigerdirect.com which seems to be a pretty nice place.

If you aren't interested in upgrading very much this looks pretty good.

What would someone recommend I buy for about £600, considering I have meant to be leaving for Computer Science in University soon.

For gawds sake don't touch Dell, I know they say their systems give you the ultimate gaming power, but it's falsehood.

Try Ebuyer. They have some cracking systems, and they have some selling cheap on their clearence deals too!!

Edit: You could build one yourself.....

Hanz™ posted on Jul 21 2005 at 03:52 PM said:
What would someone recommend I buy for about £600, considering I have meant to be leaving for Computer Science in University soon.

Well, I`ve just upgraded to a Athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig crucial ddr ram and an Abit AV8 mobo (Which supports the Athlon x2 (Dual core)) for £266. I already have good case (Lian Li PC60), Sony DvD rw, Nvidia FX5900 XT Gfx card, SB live sound card and hard drives. One of the reasons i build my own is that i know that everything is going to fit or be compatible, Unlike the crud from Dell, HP, Compaq etc, As they don`t use standard parts.

Try and get a dell or compaq mobo to fit in a standard Atx case, It won`t, None of the Agp or Pci slots line up, And thats just for starters.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm well i'm getting a new computer soon as my computer sucks (even though some may think i have a good computer from what i've said before, I did, but don't have it anymore, long story don't ask. maybe i'll explain later) but i'm getting $2,000 in a couple days (again long story, don't ask) which is more than double your budget but here's what i'm getting,

-Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or 3500+ (depends if i really want to spend all of the $2,000 or keep some left over)
-Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLi DLX (best AMD motherboard out there, IMO)
-Video Card: XFX 7800GTX Overclocked
-RAM: 2GB
-HDD: Maxtor 200GB 16MB cache 7200rpm
-CD/DVD R/RW: ASUS DRW-1608P (DVD RW) and ASUS CB-5216A (DVD R)
-Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (i have mine already just gonna take from my current comp)

I'm also getting better speakers (7.1 to be exact cause my 5.1 kinda broke when i moved) a better mouse (one with a real laser instead of optical) and new chassis

Now this all costs from $1500-1900, all depending if i get the 3200+ or 3500+ and if you want to count the mouse and speakers. Now i know this is over you budget but my last computer was around your budget and it had 1GB instead of 2GB and instead of the 7800GTX it was a 6800GT and the Processor was a 3000+ and my budget was $1,000 which is a little more than yours. so i went to Newegg with your budget and made this:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLi
Video Card: Leadtek PX6600TD-256 (6600 with 256MB memory)
RAM: Rosewell 1GB (i choose Rosewell cause they are good and cheap)
HDD: Maxtor 200GB with 16MB cache 7200rpm
CD/DVD R/RW: ASUS DRW-1608P
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I also added a cheap chassis with a 500W PSU and it only came up to $785 (under your budget yet still a nice computer) you can make it cheaper by but i choose parts i know are cheap but still good. Oh and keep in mind i made this with PCI-E not AGP, as PCI-E is faster than AGP but AGP is cheaper. Also i did not factor in the keyboard, mouse, monitor and/or speakers. Long post i know but i hope this helps you a lot.

WOAH thar' LHC

contact your prospective university to see if they can offer you any cheap prices

I recently got a letter from warwick explaining there discount system with dell

it might be worth a try

Back