Looking To Get Another Handheld

pvp_lostknight

Still Fresh
well im in the market for another handheld but idk what to buy. here are a list of every major handheld out there and what i think of them. oh if you find any interesting facts or know whats up, feel free to add what you think.

PSP
got 4 of them...dont need another

Game Boy Advance
too childish for me

Game Boy Advance SP
too childish for me

Game Boy
too childish for me

Nintendo DS
too childish for me. seems a lot funner to mod considering you can put a lot more stuff on there because of the size.

Nintendo DS Lite
too childish for me. heard its easier to mod than the regular ds. slicker looking.

Game Boy Color
too childish for me

Game Boy Light
too childish for me

Neo Geo Pocket
hard to find

Game Gear
too childish for me. hard to find.

WonderSwan Color
primitive

Neo Geo Pocket Color
primitive

Game & Watch
primitive

Microvision
primitive

Game Boy Micro
primitive

Virtual Boy
primitive

Lynx
hella primitive. if i remember it was the first color lcd handheld

TurboExpress
primitive

Game Boy Pocket
primitive

Sega NOMAD
primitive

WonderSwan
primitive

GP32
linux handheld that competed with the gameboy. primitive compared to gp2x

N-Gage
a phone into a handheld is bound to suck

N-Gage QD
a phone into a handheld again? the key layout doesnt work for gaming. slicker than the regular n-gage

Gizmondo
had a lot of potential but i think the company went into bankruptcy because some dip sh*t ruined it. from what i remember it had builtin wifi, camera decent lcd.

Sega Mega Jet
primitive

Swan Crystal
primitive

Cybiko
primitive

Epoch Game Pocket Computer
primitive

PocketStation
primitive

VG Pocket Caplet
primitive

GP2X
linux handheld with dual core process. seems to have a crappy 'dpad'. other than the psp/ds, this is the next handheld that seems to have any competition with them.

GP2X F200
next potential handheld?! same specs as regular gp2x but has touchscreen, and real dpad.

Game.Com
it reminds me of the gp2x f200 except it sucked. still uses cartridges wtf??

Mega Duck/Cougar Boy
primitive

Watara Supervision
primitive

Zodiac Tapwave
pda into a gaming handheld is bound to suck

Ez MINI
a lot of potential. looks like the psp. has MMORPG online with subscription?????? only available in china...and im in the US so that sucks...

Gameking
primitive

XGP
never coming out

Pandora
coming out in march/april 2008. waiting 3-4 months until i buy one in case there is a hardware revision lol.

JXD 301
looks like it has potential. 600 mhz process?? only thing that sucks is that it has 2 main facebuttons and no trigger. slick design tho. battery life is suppose to be pretty good.

any other notable handhelds??

Do you own a GP2x already? If not I recommend the F-200.

And just some info about the JXD 301. It seems that this handheld is discontinued.

Regards,
Stephan

I'm not really sure I understand why you've described some of these handhelds as primitive.

The Gameboy Advance (with a flash cart) is actually quite a nice "entry" level handheld for homebrew - indeed this is how I started out.

When I first saw PocketNES I though that it was an absolutely awesome emulator - and it still is!

GBA Micro has to be the smallest portable NES you can get. It also does MSX, SMS, PCE, Coleco - all really quite well considering the GBA's capability.

GP32 is the same - it's far from primitive and is really where the more serious handheld emu scene started. It's a piece of history! So many great games and emus - where to start?

The Zodiac is another great handheld. It has some fantastic games/emus available (LJP) for it including two very nice MAME (ZodMAME and PalmMAME) ports. I wouldn't write this one off! It's just a pity about the analogue controller - it's far from ideal for most games.

Last comment from me is the N-Gage - much maligned but generally by those who have never used one. It's probably the weakest of the lot in terms of emus - but some of it's commerical games are really quite good!
It also has a nice MAME port but only fast enough to run some basic games. Vertical aspect games actually work quite well on it.
And the controller is excellent - probably the best on any handheld (yes!). I'm sure this is one reason why DaveC used the N-gage's DPAD in the controller mod for the GP2X.

Why are all the GameBoys classified as too childish? You don't seem to know what you are on about :S.

sbock said:
Do you own a GP2x already? If not I recommend the F-200.

And just some info about the JXD 301. It seems that this handheld is discontinued.

Regards,
Stephan
Only the case. JXD buys the boards apparently and just puts them in a fancy box :). Other companies have compatible players.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the looks of things you seem to be that type of person that looks for processor speed and 3D graphics, based on these entries.

You talk about most devices that are too childish/primitive, yet you don't have them.

You've missed some quite good gaming on these devices.

Most of these primitive devices are "primitive" for a reason:

- Affordability
- Technology available at the time of conception

And how or why would someone have 4 PSP's?

Get yourself a nice gameboy micro with a flash cart. Convert, drag and drop, all of you gba roms onto the thing and play those games until the Pandora comes out. ;)

New Gameboy Micros on Ebay

Ez Flash card

That easy flash is from an australian site. The prices are in australian dollars, so $40 is somewhere around $30 american. I've purchased from them, and it took less just over a week for it to arrive. I was worried, though, because it arrived in small bubbly-inside envelope. It worked fine though. :)

PM me if you need "other" information.

Clearly someone is Anti-Nintnedo, with a childish bash at all of their handhelds as well as many of the earlier ones which, although are primitive by todays standards, gave me countless memories of gaming in my childhood.

Personally, I think that if you are going to be so black-and-white about a new handheld, and simply dismiss it because you have a premonition of it being childish and primitive, then you should take your money and spend it on something else. it seems as though you aren't exactly with your psps cause if you were you wouldn't be looking for a new handheld. So if you aren't happy with them, and find the DS and affiliated handhelds childish and primitive, you're going to have a hard time finding anything.

i need to buy a handheld to do hardware mods to it. im not too fond of nintendo handhelds and earlier model handhelds are either too hard to find, too low specs for me to work with. only handhelds that i think are up to todays standards might be the f100(discontinued), f200, jxd (even tho i too have heard that it is discontinued), gizmodo (discontinued). and no im not bored with my psps, i just have done every mod made to them so im moving onto other handhelds. and my friend already has modded everything to his ds's so its pointless for me to buy one and follow in his footsteps.

Hey everyone, I want to buy a new console. It has be from the current generation. I already have a Wii and an Xbox 360 and I will not buy a Playstation 3 because it sucks. What should I look for?

yaustar said:
Have you considered 'handhelds' like the EEE PC or the OLPC?
well eee pc's are expensive and isnt the olpc for kids in thirdworld countries?? lol makes me feel alittle bad about modding one of them. plus i cant seem to find one for sale ne ways haha

The OLPC is one of the more interesting 'toys' I have looked at especially the screen. Once turned down to the lowest setting (brightness off), the screen goes into a black and white high contrast mode which can be viewed in direct sunlight. It almost looks like e-paper.

The keyboard is covered by a one sheet membrane that is splash and dust resistant making it easy to clean. Python and PyGame are installed by default with an IDE installed. All the open ports are covered and IIRC, it has a mini tablet next to the touch pad.

yaustar said:
The OLPC is one of the more interesting 'toys' I have looked at especially the screen. Once turned down to the lowest setting (brightness off), the screen goes into a black and white high contrast mode which can be viewed in direct sunlight. It almost looks like e-paper.

The keyboard is covered by a one sheet membrane that is splash and dust resistant making it easy to clean. Python and PyGame are installed by default with an IDE installed. All the open ports are covered and IIRC, it has a mini tablet next to the touch pad.
oh yea it looks very interesting. but the problem is idk where to order one lol

yea i dont think ne ones going to get their hands on a olpc without buying 2. the eeepc are intersting but im not interested in a shrunken down laptop. a umpc would be great but the price is way too high right now. ne other consoles worth mentioning?

Nothing that meets your requirements although I would still think the Neo Geo Pocket is worth looking at. It has one of the best D-pad/Joystick that I have used for a while.

Back