Looking To Upgrade My Mp3 Player

Lineus

Website
gfo.owns.it
Hey all, I have a Creative ZEN Micro 5gb that's been good to me, but the time's come to upgrade.

I'm looking for something in the PMP type of player, with a reasonably large capacity - 30gb is a min.

I've looked at the ZEN Vision:W and ZEN Vision:M, but they seem to be out of stock/production :( , and I'd like to have something new. I'd also like to stick with Creative, as I just love their stuff, but the new ZEN just isn't cutting it for me. So, any suggestions for other comparable players? Anything but iPod would be helpful.

Thanks,
~Lineus

You could buy 2 16gb SDs for you GP2X. Then again for $40 or so more you could get a 30gb MP3 player.

Lineus said:
Hey all, I have a Creative ZEN Micro 5gb that's been good to me, but the time's come to upgrade.

I'm looking for something in the PMP type of player, with a reasonably large capacity - 30gb is a min.

I've looked at the ZEN Vision:W and ZEN Vision:M, but they seem to be out of stock/production :( , and I'd like to have something new. I'd also like to stick with Creative, as I just love their stuff, but the new ZEN just isn't cutting it for me. So, any suggestions for other comparable players? Anything but iPod would be helpful.

Thanks,
~Lineus
If you have the money to spend, I'd suggest the 32 gig iPod Touch. I used to hate iPods with a passion, but a friend let me play around with his for a bit, and i became hooked. Very nice little device

Last edited by a moderator:
The iAudio X5 (with Rockbox) is fantastic. Plays almost any music you'd care to think of. DOOM, GNUBoy, Tetris, Arkanoid and more. FM Radio, built-in mic. Photo viewer. Only thing it can't really do is video - it plays low-res, 15fps MPEG.

Comes in 20, 30 and 60GB, and I love it :D

Blah said:
You could buy 2 16gb SDs for you GP2X. Then again for $40 or so more you could get a 30gb MP3 player.

Would do that, if I had an F-200...

Thanks, everyone else, but I think I'll just wait till creative releases another player.

Why do you really need 30GB or more, if you (I assume) have had a 5GB player for years and liked it? And what's your budget?

SONY S610, 8GB, $180
-tactile (non-touch) buttons
-very small in person
-flash memory
-simple GUI
-good battery life (30+ hours)
IAUDIO 7, 16GB, $200 (BEST PRICE ON THE INTERNET)
-16GB FLASH
-Small, but a little thick
-nearly 60 hours of battery life
-one touch pad, and tactile buttons
IRIVER CLIX 2, 8GB, $240
-Flash memory
-thin design, d'click navigation system
-one of the most amazing screens on the market
-24 hours of battery life
IPOD TOUCH, 8GB, $280
-beautiful and small/thin
-wifi, touchscreen
ARCHOS 605 WIFI, 30GB, $280 ( ALTERNATIVE: 4GB FLASH, same other features, thinner, $200 )
-tactile buttons to the side and a touchscreen (4 inch, 800x480 resolution)
-wifi and web browser
-a little larger than the others, but has an SD SLOT

EDIT: SIZE COMPARISON

Lineus said:
Blah said:

Thanks, everyone else, but I think I'll just wait till creative releases another player.
You can use SDHC on your F100 if you install Notaz's firmware. I imagine GPH just used his code.

It does work with 16gb cards:
Jedi said:
My 16 Gb sdhc card from Newegg came in today and it does work. I ran a few videos off it and they ran fine, no stuttering. Windows reports the card having 15.3 Gb instead of the usual 15.1 Gb. I only paid 139 for it.

Blah said:
Lineus said:
Blah said:

You can use SDHC on your F100 if you install Notaz's firmware. I imagine GPH just used his code.

It does work with 16gb cards:
Jedi said:
My 16 Gb sdhc card from Newegg came in today and it does work. I ran a few videos off it and they ran fine, no stuttering. Windows reports the card having 15.3 Gb instead of the usual 15.1 Gb. I only paid 139 for it.

Get a zune imo.

nickspoon said:
The iAudio X5 (with Rockbox) is fantastic. Plays almost any music you'd care to think of. DOOM, GNUBoy, Tetris, Arkanoid and more. FM Radio, built-in mic. Photo viewer. Only thing it can't really do is video - it plays low-res, 15fps MPEG.

Comes in 20, 30 and 60GB, and I love it :D
I've been looking all over for one of those. I don't think they sell them any more :( I might try looking on eBay some day.

Nova said:
Blaine0002 said:
Get a zune imo.
GTFO

LOL!

Anyways, I want 30+GB so I can carry my whole music collection, not just a portion of it, along with a few select movies. As for the firmware, I am NOT flashing my fw until Open2x is released stable - no reason to fix somthing that's not broken. Like I said, I'll just stick with Creative, but great advice, guys. Unless someone knows where I can find the Newman A6...

Nova said:
Blaine0002 said:
Get a zune imo.
GTFO

The cost to storage ratio is reason enough to get a Zune.

I picked one up when Woot! was selling them for 99 bucks, just for the hell of it. It's a pretty nice player, for the price.

I don't know that I'd be happy paying full price for one though.

Back