Loose Hinge...

MooTheKow

So - trying to find out if the loose hinge I have is simply a result of how all Pandoras are made or if it is specific to my unit. Basically my hinge is loose enough that even after it locks into the open position it will still wiggle back and forth a small amount when moved. It isn't a huge problem - but it's a bit annoying that that it will shake back/forth a bit when I am playing a game and do something like try to quickly double-click one of the directions on the d-pad.

Mine is too, or at least it is now (I think it was stiffer at first). Word on #openpandora is that this is standard.

Well it seems i was lucky and got a slightly stiffer one than most. I can even put my hinge in any position between 140 degrees and 45 degrees and wobble it around a bit without it moving too much. Most clear example, i can walk around with it in 145 degree position perfectly fine, have to go a bit easy on the stairs though or it flops open (not wise to be watching the pandora when walking stairs anyway ;)
It stays locked quite firm when in full open position.

But talking to people on msn and reading on the forum, i concluded that mine is just stiffer than the majority.

MarkoeZ

Sphinxter said:
Why you pandora haters keep lying about it is beyond my understanding, "The hinge is nice".
Do you think maybe you and SomeGuy are going a little overboard here?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ SomeGuy?

@Hinge
IIRC, MWeston said that stiffer hinges might loosen up when the paint wears off after a while.

MarkoeZ said:
Well it seems i was lucky and got a slightly stiffer one than most. I can even put my hinge in any position between 140 degrees and 45 degrees and wobble it around a bit without it moving too much. Most clear example, i can walk around with it in 145 degree position perfectly fine, have to go a bit easy on the stairs though or it flops open (not wise to be watching the pandora when walking stairs anyway ;)
It stays locked quite firm when in full open position.

But talking to people on msn and reading on the forum, i concluded that mine is just stiffer than the majority.

MarkoeZ

I can do exactly the same thing :) So you're not alone in the "stiffer" zone :)

Ive noticed hinge becoming loose on my non-painted case, but it hasnt been enough to effect usage. It would stay open if it was held flat (i.e. using it on your back)

My hinge is jiggly, too. Quite annoying how it flaps around a little when I'm playing some button-mashing game, but I'll get over it.

Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
Why you pandora haters keep lying about it is beyond my understanding, "The hinge is nice".
Do you think maybe you and SomeGuy are going a little overboard here?

Well I didn't want anyone to think I wasn't being sarcastic. B)
True enough :)

I would think leaving the hing at any angle other then fully open or fully closed would cause ware.

The hinge is nice. Much better than that rubbish on the DS! The little wobble is to simulate a rumble pack, like say you're punching some guy repeatedly in the face, the whole world starts to jiggle a little bit! Absolute genius.

^ That's a bit harsh, imo. The MP prototypes were exactly like in that video. They didn't manipulate the hinge to let seem stiffer or anything.

mali said:
^ That's a bit harsh, imo. The MP prototypes were exactly like in that video. They didn't manipulate the hinge to let seem stiffer or anything.

Yeah but seriously... Craig claimed that the screen wouldn't move if you used the stylus on it. He tried to prove it by throwing the stylus at his Pandora, which demonstrated nothing... the pressure of a tiny plastic object with no weight behind it, that isn't comparable.

The touch screen is kind of stiff, which means you have to put pressure onto it - that pressure pushes the screen back, and it eventually snaps back to the lock position.

I challenge anyone to use a scroll bar (for example, in a web browser) with the hinge up. Even with the lightest of touches, it can't be done.

The point is that Craig reassured people. He threw styluses.

Back