Low Power Pc Recommendations

Ravnos

Asleep in Samsara
Website
Visit site
I've got a few old Pentium 3 boxen in my apartment running various duties and I'm looking to replace them with machines that are smaller and have lower power consumption. I'm wondering if anyone here has any recommendations. My main requirements beyond size and power use are:
-preferably x86
-two ethernet ports, or one plus room to stuff in a PCI NIC
-USB 2.0, preferably with a usb chipset that is compatible with FreeBSD

I was looking at the FitPC, but apparently its USB controller only works as USB 1.1 with FreeBSD. I might settle for one anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks.

Wild Idea, an eeepc?

I don't know how much power it consumes but I think it will be a lot less than a desktop PC. It has got only 1 ethernet port though, Maybe a USB Ethernet Adapters could work. You can connect it to an external monitor.

I suppose I should have specified, these are servers. They aren't under a terribly demanding load most of the time, but they are typically headless so the laptop's screen is pretty unnecessary. If I'm paying eeepc money, I'd rather it go into CPU. Thanks though. :)

@trooper: I'll have to take a closer look later, but maybe.

Ravnos said:
What are the prices like on those these days? I was under the impression they were not much cheaper than a full-size PC.
can get one for about £100 with the psu added onto the price. that would be decent for a webserver or similar, some of them are fanless as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
mdinire said:
Could this page be of any help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

That's a good link, I'll have to keep it handy.

evol said:
maybe start out with this ?
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001#

Is that the Everex gOS PC mobo? I was considering just getting one of those but the case is kind of big and I'm also trying to cut down on the space used. Do you know of a small case it will fit in too? Cause then it will be perfect.

Samba Pa Ti said:
Ravnos said:
What are the prices like on those these days? I was under the impression they were not much cheaper than a full-size PC.
can get one for about £100 with the psu added onto the price. that would be decent for a webserver or similar, some of them are fanless as well.

So roughly $250-$275 then? That's in the ballpark of what I'm looking for price-wise. Any specific recommendations or hardware you've had a good experience with?

Thanks for the leads everyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back