Lwjgl - Lightweight Java Game Library - Suitable?

So I've figured out I'm one hell of a lazy coder. Using Java/SWT to create a window/buttons and other widgets is kind of a PITA - I'm so used to just a GUI, clicking "button" and having a button created on a form which I edit by clicking on it. (LOL VISUAL BASIC!)

It's probably better this way - I know I'm already shedding some bad programming practices, I'm already used to how the basics of java are working - I can read the code and understand what it's doing. Now it's just learning how to hand-code it (and not turn into a copy/paste coder).

And the further I get into it the more I want to switch to Python. Python just looks cleaner. And there are only 2 OpenGL Libraries as far as I can see for python.

As I look deeper into the lwjgl and jogl libraries it looks as if there are certain parts that may me compatible with Linux as an OS - but perhaps not Linux on other architectures (ARM*). I've really gotta look deeper into it.

What does C# look like as an architecture? - I'm not so sure I'm really that attached to java at this point and people seem to be really getting into C#.

ThantiK said:
So I've figured out I'm one hell of a lazy coder. Using Java/SWT to create a window/buttons and other widgets is kind of a PITA - I'm so used to just a GUI, clicking "button" and having a button created on a form which I edit by clicking on it. (LOL VISUAL BASIC!)

It's probably better this way - I know I'm already shedding some bad programming practices, I'm already used to how the basics of java are working - I can read the code and understand what it's doing. Now it's just learning how to hand-code it (and not turn into a copy/paste coder).

And the further I get into it the more I want to switch to Python. Python just looks cleaner. And there are only 2 OpenGL Libraries as far as I can see for python.

As I look deeper into the lwjgl and jogl libraries it looks as if there are certain parts that may me compatible with Linux as an OS - but perhaps not Linux on other architectures (ARM*). I've really gotta look deeper into it.

What does C# look like as an architecture? - I'm not so sure I'm really that attached to java at this point and people seem to be really getting into C#.
Hehe... you too? :lol: I used to do everything GUI, but then I learned a language that had no GUI tools whatsoever, and I liked it, so I had to make do without.

You might look into NetBeans. It's sort of like Visual Basic, I think? It has GUI form creation - but when I work on 2D games, I code most of the interface stuff(like buttons) myself, so I never actually get to use the GUI creator there.

As a challenge I created a complete java program in notepad - and yes, it was a PITA. I really missed syntax highlighting.

C# interests me. If it's a better fit for the Pandora, then I'll jump from Java to C#/Mono.

Last edited by a moderator:
python + pygame is not that slow for small 2d games, pretty playable on the pandora. for the pc, you can use psyco to really speed things up.

Thantikand and Kramy, don't be afraid of moving from this kind of easy coding (creating buttons by drawing them, very visual basic style) because it is basically the same thing.
give python and pygame a try and you will see how comfortable it gets. here: http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/intro/intro.html

but yes, C, C++ and Java are still kings of performance and popularity =`]

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Thantikand and Kramy, don't be afraid of moving from this kind of easy coding

give python and pygame a try and you will see how comfortable it gets. here: http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/intro/intro.html

I find Java easy. I'm sure python wouldn't take long to learn, but I like the strict syntax of Java.

Python is extremely popular, so there has to be good reasons for it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back