Release Lynx 0.8.7

I love how after all these years, the lynx startup page still doesn't help anyone :) 'm' for main page .. useless :) "g" for goto, now that'd be useful :p

I still love lynx .. and man, does it fly :)

jeff

'm' for main page .. useless :) "g" for goto, now that'd be useful :p
Indeed. That is where "Links2" shines: it has 'g' for 'goto' and you can even use your mouse/stylus to click on links. :)

But Lynx is Lynx and always will be (i hope so). It was my first browser and i immediately fell in love with it...

This is text-only. So what's the purpose of it? Nostalgia? Novelty? I'm not bashing, I'm just curious.

Nostalgia mainly.

Like Doom it's almost compulsory to get it running on whatever system you are using.

I used it earlier with wifi tethering to my phone which wouldn't load any pages as I was stuck an a slow GPRS connection and needed to check something.

Lynx an elegant browser, for a more civilized age...

Also @blueprotoman not sure the use on the pandora.. I found lynx handy if I'm logged in remotely and don't have an X display, but need to look something up or have to download something I don't have the exact link for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Lynx, being text based, is very fast. If you want to read text more than see pictures, then it's useful. Also, you can set it up so that when you are running it from X Window, it will use an external picture viewer to load whatever images you choose. That way, you can go to pages with a lot of superfluous images and only load the ones that you actually wish to see, assuming you can figure out which ones those are. :)

At last,

I've been trying to get this to work properly for a few days and suddenly things fell into place.

Thanks to Mash for showing me how to get a terminal window to open from script :D

Here is the Lynx text web browser http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,112,331

Compiled and packaged using just my pandora.

Mhaws.

works like a charm!

I = happy camper

thanks for making the lynx pnd

as far as use - i do some web dev and i test pages in lynx. ya never know.....

This seems to work well, but I think Lynx is just a bit too foreign for me, used as I am to modern browsers.

I find that "Links2" strikes a better balance; it's also lightning-fast, but it supports images, tables, and mouse; you can use it more like a typical browser, and the internet looks more recognizable (and often BETTER, because annoying Javascript stuff and popups don't get in the way). So that's my default browser on my Pandora at the moment. :)

This seems to work well, but I think Lynx is just a bit too foreign for me, used as I am to modern browsers.

I find that "Links2" strikes a better balance; it's also lightning-fast, but it supports images, tables, and mouse; you can use it more like a typical browser, and the internet looks more recognizable (and often BETTER, because annoying Javascript stuff and popups don't get in the way). So that's my default browser on my Pandora at the moment. :)

Graphical browsers have been around just as long as Lynx has... What makes lynx useful, is if you don't have a graphical desktop available. Which in my case happens a bit.. some Servers I run don't even have an X display installed.

Back