GP32 M.e.s.s. On Gp32

jcabrer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I once attempted a port of X-MAME/MESS to Dreamcast, and although I did not get far, I did learn a bit about how MAME works, and which pieces need to be ported for each platform. I was working with newer source code from around 0.68 and after reviewing the work Franxis has done it seems 0.34 is very diffrent indeed, and might not be a perfect roadmap to follow for MESS (does not go back to .34).

I'm thinking of attempting a MESS port, and I wonder if it would really be worth it. For one thing, each system would probably have to reside in a separate .fxe, and I think most of the interesting systems (to most GPers) are probably already emulated. The coolness factor would definately be there for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The only thing about this is that MESS and MAME drivers are known to be pretty slow, so only really old platforms will be emulated at any decent speed, but it still sounds like it could be cool, especially since we don't have a lot of old hardware emulated on GP32 yet. So I say go for it.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

A REALLY STUPID NONSENSICLE POEM WRITTEN IN 5 SECONDS:

DO THE DEW
ON THE GP32
AND I'LL CHEER FOR YOU!!!
BUT IF YOU DONT
I WILL CRY AND SAY "BOO-HOOO"
------

I"M WRITING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
I'M BORED!!!(and therefore crazy)

I once attempted a port of X-MAME/MESS to Dreamcast, and although I did not get far, I did learn a bit about how MAME works, and which pieces need to be ported for each platform. I was working with newer source code from around 0.68 and after reviewing the work Franxis has done it seems 0.34 is very diffrent indeed, and might not be a perfect roadmap to follow for MESS (does not go back to .34).

I'm thinking of attempting a MESS port, and I wonder if it would really be worth it. For one thing, each system would probably have to reside in a separate .fxe, and I think most of the interesting systems (to most GPers) are probably already emulated. The coolness factor would definately be there for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

As you and Rattboi have already mentioned, the drivers that could work are mostly already emulated or just not very interesting.

MESS is, well, a mess. The few times I tried it (on ANY platform) it was just slow and complicated and ugly.

If I was you I'd rather try to find a speedy single-console emulator with source available and port that one to GP32.

Or, you know, you could just join Franxis. He expressively asked for developers who'd like to collab with him. And MAME is just the kind of program that needs more than one developer working on it.

And if you wait for F-Day, all of ryleh's emulators will be open-source as well, you could just join in there, either.

Really, unless you must port MESS, do something that is more likely to end in a useful product.

But of course, it's your choice what you do with your time. I just think it would be a waste spending it on porting MESS.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryleh's F-day release will be like a version of MESS anyway, what with all those Emu's under one FXE... Personaly I think music Apps are greatly lacking on the GP32, could be something interesting to work on in that field ?

Heh, you're the coder though...

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

As you and Rattboi have already mentioned, the drivers that could work are mostly already emulated or just not very interesting.

MESS is, well, a mess. The few times I tried it (on ANY platform) it was just slow and complicated and ugly.

If I was you I'd rather try to find a speedy single-console emulator with source available and port that one to GP32.

Or, you know, you could just join Franxis. He expressively asked for developers who'd like to collab with him. And MAME is just the kind of program that needs more than one developer working on it.

And if you wait for F-Day, all of ryleh's emulators will be open-source as well, you could just join in there, either.

Really, unless you must port MESS, do something that is more likely to end in a useful product.

But of course, it's your choice what you do with your time. I just think it would be a waste spending it on porting MESS.

Cheers!

actually...do that instead.

Personaly I think music Apps are greatly lacking on the GP32, could be something interesting to work on in that field ?

shhh ... very early stages of development :ph34r:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/littlegptracker/

Cool, Very nice. So many questions, But i`ll keep quiet for now. :D

Good luck, This is going to be great, Amiga protracker, Octamed all over again. :)

EDIT: Spelling

Trooper

Ryleh's F-day release will be like a version of MESS anyway, what with all those Emu's under one FXE... Personaly I think music Apps are greatly lacking on the GP32, could be something interesting to work on in that field ?

Heh, you're the coder though...

The f day emus are NOT under one fxe. Don't know were that stupid rumor started.

Back