Mac User Looking To Purchase A Gp2x

I appreciate everyones help.

I am trying the torrent thing now, been trying to download at 0% for about an hour now.

Ill look into what recources I can get, I am very interested in the GP2x, found a couple deals online. Linux scare the hell out of me, I tried it once before. I computer savy, but love my drag & drop simple computer lifestyle. The GP2X seems simple enough, just do not want to get it & be totallly limited in use because I am using a mac. Just want to load all the games on there & enjoy the unit.

Ill figure out what to do with my Mame collection before I make the purchase.

A couple more questions

MK2 F100?

Model numbers, are their big differences between the different generation GP2x's ? I am assuming the Mk2 to to be the newest one.

4GB SD cards? Whats the word on using these?

Thanks again :)

kevin J said:
A couple more questions

MK2 F100?

Model numbers, are their big differences between the different generation GP2x's ? I am assuming the Mk2 to to be the newest one.

4GB SD cards? Whats the word on using these?

Thanks again :)
The MKII version is the latest; it has a correctly oriented joystick assembly, and an LCD installed upside down, so you wind up with a tighter viewing angle (the screen only looks nice when viewed directly in front), or so I've read (I have a first edition and 2 MK I '2X's) ... typical GPH, fix one thing, break another :lol:

And yes, get a 4GB card ... you'll soon run out of space with all those ginormous NeoGeo games (and Sega CD as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it hasn't been made clear yet, the vast majority of ROMs do NOT require any sort of conversion. It's only CPS2 ROMs, and Neo-Geo roms. the Neo-Geo emulator includes a built-in conversion thing, so you just run the ROM, it does its thing for a few minutes, and you can play it. CPS2, just find a good, well-seeded torrent.

If you don't know what I mean, do some research on torrents.

EDIT: Also, I use a mac, I have not once had ANY trouble with my GP2X that wasn't fixed with a torrent, or one of the myriad of apps available to remove all those little .DS_Store files and the like.

Well, when I got my GP2X I acquired about 50 Mame ROMs. Maybe 5 worked, so I converted the rest on a PC. After that maybe 15 worked. All were listed as supported by Mame for GP2X.

I've been so frustrated with Mame that I just stopped trying. Apparently there are different versions of the ROMs, and if you get the wrong version it will never work.

I guess I should investigate Torrents.

Been Trying the Torrent thing, no luck, its been at 0% downloaded since last night. I might be missing something?

I am glad to hear the 4GB works, that's a big plus. I am using a Nintendo DS with a Play Yan for media, it only supports 1GB cards (pain)

If anyone can add some insight to torrents on getting an up to par Mame set, I would be very greatful

Be sure to get a standard 4GB SD, not the SDHC kind, those don't work yet.

kevin J said:
Been Trying the Torrent thing, no luck, its been at 0% downloaded since last night. I might be missing something?

I am glad to hear the 4GB works, that's a big plus. I am using a Nintendo DS with a Play Yan for media, it only supports 1GB cards (pain)

If anyone can add some insight to torrents on getting an up to par Mame set, I would be very greatful

How many seeds does the torrent have?

I got the link for the torrent here

[REMOVED]

- no illegal/improper content such as warez, links to warez, FTP sites with illegal content, etc. also asking for warez is asking for troubles.
You've been warned -hando-

It says 17 seeders, but nothing has been loading after days of trying?

I did just pick up a copy of Virtual PC 7 for Mac $67 off of Ebay. I cannot imagine how fast Virtual PC will run or convert the roms, but downloading a nice set via torrrents would be much better indeed.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help so far!!!!

kevin J said:
I got the link for the torrent here

[REMOVED]

It says 17 seeders, but nothing has been loading after days of trying?

I did just pick up a copy of Virtual PC 7 for Mac $67 off of Ebay. I cannot imagine how fast Virtual PC will run or convert the roms, but downloading a nice set via torrrents would be much better indeed.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help so far!!!!
I have no problems to download that. Make sure to use uTorrent! It's teh best.
www.utorrent.com

Alex. said:
You make me sick (edit: you pirates you)
Do you convert all your ROMs manually from your personal cartridges, and then only play them when the original no longer exists?

Back