Macs

Goity

VIP Sleaze
Somebody gave me a mac, and want to know what "killer apps" I can get for it.

It's got a 600mhz processor, 256mb RAM and a 16mb ATI gfx card, and it runs on Tiger.

oops double topic

Safari Internet Browser
Itunes
Email Program

That's about all you can do on one of those old macs...

Goity posted on Feb 6 2007 at 04:16 PM said:
Somebody gave me a mac at and want to know what "killer apps" I can get for it.

It's got a 600mhz processor, 256mb RAM and a 16mb ATI gfx card, and it runs on Tiger.

oops double topic

Hypercard? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity posted on Feb 6 2007 at 09:16 PM said:
Somebody gave me a mac at and want to know what "killer apps" I can get for it.

oops double topic

OpenStep :(

I guess it depends on what you are into. There is a lot of really cool audio software out there that doesn't exist on the PC.

SuperCollider - geekout audio language - you can get on win/linux but it started on mac and has an awesome gui for it.
soundhack - sound file processor
cycling 74's M - this is an old school midi app updated for osx... awesome
JackOSX - let's you route audio all over the place... something swiped from linux.
Digital Performer - fantastic DAW

The dev tools are pretty sweet if you are into that sort of thing. You can download from Apple for free.

Oh yeah, if you are into unix stuff, Terminal.app :) look in your Applications/Utilities folder.

There's all sorts of wonderful stuff out there for mac. I've been using it for my primary OS for a lot of years so the novelty of finding new apps has somewhat faded. I'm pretty set in my ways. I guess once I upgrade to a new macbook I'll probably start looking around.

btw - best place to look for apps is versiontracker.com.

If possible, I'd suggest a RAM upgrade. Tiger should run decent on a 600mhz machine (g3?) with enough ram. You should be able to buy a chip for next to nothing. At least 512 will give you a great boost.

If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me.

Is there a PPC-Flash for Linux? The Intel one is great, but I didn't think there was a PPC build for linux...

Mudi posted on Feb 7 2007 at 04:18 AM said:
Is there a PPC-Flash for Linux? The Intel one is great, but I didn't think there was a PPC build for linux...
There isn't, no. Flash 9 for Linux (x86 only, not even x86-64) is really good, just as good as the Windows one, and without that awful audio/video desync that you had in Flash 7.

CABBAGES posted on Feb 7 2007 at 05:21 PM said:
bin it. And ask who ever gave you it what you did to deserve this :angry:
Why..?

I remember playing a game called asterex on my old classic OS mac. Best asteroids clone ever. I think you can dl it as shareware now.

Orkie posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:06 PM said:

By the way, your self-awarded trophy graphic is very funny. I like how you can see that it was edited. Using the judge's quote like that is great. :D

EscapeVelocity/Override/Nova is really fun... though they released Nova for Windows, so it isn't exclusive anymore. Heh.

Mudi posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:52 AM said:
though they released Nova for Windows, so it isn't exclusive anymore. Heh.

:blink:

Back