Mame Gp32 Sound Is Too Low

christo930

Mame GP32 now takes up most of my time on the GP32, but it has one problem that is really annoying... The sound is too low in most games. Like frogger, even with headphones I can barely hear it. Is there any chance of this being fixed? I would love to be able to hear the games loud and clear., It's most of the games, although a few have normal (but still pretty low) sound and I know it's not my machine because some other emulators are so loud I have to turn down the volume to keep from pissing people off on the el (M-F elevated line).

Is there a workaround, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a simple volume control in the sourcecode that can be changed and recompiled?

Chris

Mame GP32 now takes up most of my time on the GP32, but it has one problem that is really annoying... The sound is too low in most games. Like frogger, even with headphones I can barely hear it. Is there any chance of this being fixed? I would love to be able to hear the games loud and clear., It's most of the games, although a few have normal (but still pretty low) sound and I know it's not my machine because some other emulators are so loud I have to turn down the volume to keep from pissing people off on the el (M-F elevated line).

Is there a workaround, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a simple volume control in the sourcecode that can be changed and recompiled?

Chris

In the case of Frogger I know the sound in general is buggered. That is an emulation problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mame GP32 now takes up most of my time on the GP32, but it has one problem that is really annoying... The sound is too low in most games. Like frogger, even with headphones I can barely hear it. Is there any chance of this being fixed? I would love to be able to hear the games loud and clear.

Completely my opinion, especially in amidar (amigo) :(

I can have a look at the sound/volume code.

[EDIT]

While I'm at it I'll add the new games from GP2X version; Dangar, etc.

Despite it's simplistic looking graphics, Dangar is really a good game, I've been playing it a fair bit.

[EDIT]

Despite it's spimplistic looking graphics, Dangar is really a good game, I've been playing it a fair bit.

That would be so great to have better volume or even a volume control. I hope you can do it...

Chris

Chris
I know this may seem a little obvious, but have you turned off the volume limit in the system menu?

Chris
I know this may seem a little obvious, but have you turned off the volume limit in the system menu?

Are you referring to a gp2x? I have a GP32 and as far as I know there is no system menu or volume limit setting.

[EDIT]

Despite it's simplistic looking graphics, Dangar is really a good game, I've been playing it a fair bit.
Have you had any progress with Mame for the GP32 and the volume problem?

Chris

slaanesh posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:43 AM said:
I admit I've been distracted with the CPS2 emulator on the GP2X recently. I will try to have a look at this on the weekend.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Chris

All righty then!

I can see the problem but it's driver specific. This means that fixes need to be done on a per game basis.

These changes will also be useful to the GP2X version.

I've fixed Frogger and Amidar. Coincidently both use AY-8910 sound chips.

I will need you guys to give me a list of games that you think run too quietly and I can then make the changes.

slaanesh posted on Feb 10 2007 at 11:50 PM said:
All righty then!

I can see the problem but it's driver specific. This means that fixes need to be done on a per game basis.

These changes will also be useful to the GP2X version.

I've fixed Frogger and Amidar. Coincidently both use AY-8910 sound chips.

I will need you guys to give me a list of games that you think run too quietly and I can then make the changes.

Son Son is another one that's really bad, but even the games that aren't that bad in a very quiet room, cannot be heard in an environment where there is any background noise like a subway. Yet Ms Pac Man when played under Xcade is obnoxiously loud even in that environment when the volume is all the way up. It seems like there is a volume limiter being turned on. GPengine is another emulator (besides xcade) that I have to turn the volume down for even in a noisy environment. A short list of games I play the most, that I would really like to see louder:
Poyon
Rally X
Super Basketball
Mat Mania
Mappy
bomb jack
bubble bobble
Ghosts n goblins
burger time
burnin rubber (bump n jump)
flicky
eagle
Donkey Kong 3
Crush roller (one of the louder games)
Jungle king
Juno First
Mr Do series
lock n chase
Frogger and amidar (you say you fixed)

Some games are better than others but even the best are still pretty low, too low for a noisy environment.

Chris

Hey Slaanesh,

sorry, i didn't get that you have answered already.
Here's my list of games with too low sound-level, late - but not too late and too many, i hope. :rolleyes:

ALPINE SKI
AMORED CAR
BAGMAN
BANK PANIC
BATTLE OF ATLANTIS
BLACK TIGER
BLUE PRINT
BOMB JACK
COMMANDO
DIAMOND RUN
ELEVATOR ACTION
GHOST'N GOBLINS
GUZZLER
GYRUSS
HEXA
JACk RABBIT (no sound)
JUMPING JACK
JUNGLER
JUNO FIRST
KARNOV (sound is ok, but wrong colours (no rom errors at start))
KUNG FU MASTER
LEGENDARY WINGS
MARBLE MADNESS
MINEFIELD
MONEY MONEY (no sound)
MOON PATROL
MOTORACE USA
MR DO (all variations)
MYSTERIOUS STONES
NEMESIS
NOVA 2001
PENGUIN-KUN WARS
PINBALL ACTION
POOYAN
RAMPAGE
RIVER PATROL
ROAD FIGHTER
ROC'N ROPE
SALAMANDER
SCRAMBLE
SCRAMBLED EGGS
SOLOMON'S KEY
SON SON
SPACE ZAP
SPY HUNTER
STAR FORCE
STRONG X
SUPER COBRA
SWIMMER
TAC/SCAN (no sound)
NEW ZEALAND STORY I & II
THE PIT
TIMBER
TRACk & FIELD
TRIPLE PUNCH
TROPICAL ANGEL
TURTLES
VULGUS
XYBOTS (emu can't find the archive ("ERROR: NO AVAILABLE GAMES FOUND")

There is another problem, MAME is unable to store the setting 'New Core, TriBuf', is necassary e.g. for (SUPER-) ZAXXON.

Okay thanks for the information, I will have a look at the games you have mentioned.

I'll check the sound subsystem to see where the problem lies, as the fix i mentioned earlier, whilst increasing the volume, may not be the correct approach.

Just an idea: Is it not perhaps possible to increase (normalize) the waveform-samples level of the AY-8910 emulation ?

In this way i got PHOENIX louder.

Apologies for leaving this so long, but I was thinking about the low-sound issue on the GP32 recently and I think it know what the problem is!

So I adjusted the mixer code accordingly and lo-and-behold I believe I have a solution!

I've done a prelimnary compile of the "classics" driver and was wondering if I could have some volunteer beta-testers? Send me a PM if you are interested.

Of course this means I intend to release 2.4 of GP32 MAME at some time, hopefully including as many goodies from the GP2X version as I can!

ie. improved sound for Konami games, extra games, improved DrZ80 and Cyclone, etc.

Some things will not be possible due to the GP32's memory limitations.

Right, I've made some neat improvements to the GP32 MAME sound code.

[+] Sound mixer is a fair bit more accurate now and should be scaling volume precisely.
[+] Triple buffering for the sound which should improve sound quality.
[+] Updated Sega System 8 drivers (Wonderboy in Monsterland, Choplifter)
[!] Fixed Xybots driver in launcher.
[!] Fixed FPS timing so games play at their designed rate (ie. 60FPS instead of 64FPS)

If anyone wants beta modules PM me.

Back