Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
any game i try to load gives me a popup with this error
Code:
in fork!
mountpoint: /media/mmcblk0p1
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 120: [: !: integer expression expected
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
Filetype is ISO
sudo mount /dev/loop2 /mnt/pnd/mame.106/
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
error: duplicate gamename: Geo/Metal
is something wrong with the way my sd card is setup? that's all i can figure

jaycee900 said:
Cant get my games to work either, but i've heard they have to be from the .106 mame romset though...

I have tried with pacman which is the midway pacman version , however i get an error message saying that

pacman.5e not found
pacman 5f not found etc etc

Not sure whats wrong, seems like it might need another romset as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
7zark7 said:
jaycee900 said:
Cant get my games to work either, but i've heard they have to be from the .106 mame romset though...

I have tried with pacman which is the midway pacman version , however i get an error message saying that

pacman.5e not found
pacman 5f not found etc etc

Not sure whats wrong, seems like it might need another romset as well.
In some cases, such as when games were released at different times in different regions (at least, as far as I can tell :p), you also need the "parent" set. The parent set for Pac-Man, for example, is "puckman".

Last edited by a moderator:
okay i have something, you were right.... downloading puckman got the game running however if you select 2X scaling it does not work.

So you have to choose normal scaling or else you get a SDL could not find a suitable mode video_init failed.

EDIT:

as an aside been playing splatterhouse an old fav of mine :) just about playable but slow at 900mhz with frameskip turned up.

As I'm sure you've guessed by this point, that's because 2x scaling on vertical games will cause them to exceed the Pandora's resolution. ;) It will do this on any old desktop or laptop, too, if your chosen scaling mode is too big.

There's a 2x-rotate option for those, if you want to hold the Pandora sideways, though.

"Edit: Old rom set v.34 from Gp2x also works fine. If your mostly using the 2xscale version then place your roms in that 'appdata>mame2x.106' folder and they are listed by default, then use normal Mame and browse to their for games that don't fit the screen, or use rotation instead."

Un-official advice follows...

I don't know if this is any help but I found zero issues on first attempt with Mame, in the following folder structure, using Roms from a way earlier v.77 rom set.

Sd>card>pandora>appdata (make sure you have created this folder first)

Then:

Sd card>pandora>menu (Place Mame .PND here)

The menu and minimenu will offer you two versions in the emulator list or 2 icons, one with "2xScale"

Run Both versions and quit them to create folders in the appdata folder respective, to each Mame version.

Roms go in:

Sd card>pandora>appdata>mame.106>roms (in zipped format).

As Prometheus mentions, be sure to include either the parent rom, or all related zips of any game you intend. For example aliens.zip plus none is fine, as it's the parent rom, 3wonders.zip also but 3wonderu.zip alone, will do nothing.

Sometimes you may want the regional version difference, so Exciting Hour 'UK'(excthour.zip) requires MatMania 'US' (matmania.zip) to work with the regional differences (A bone crunchingly slapstick wrestling game worth a gander btw!). With some roms though, they wont work with the 2xscale version due to resolution, such as Matmania, so try launching from either.

Navigate to the roms, via SD card>pandora>appdata>mame.106>roms and then launch.

Works from either Mame version but is quite a browse. I acknowledge I've probably set this up all wrong (hence the long file browse to roms) but it works well, with only minor sound issues on some games for many I have tried, so perhaps its worth trying if your doing differently without success!

I will test with an even older romset from GP2x days v36 or something, in a moment and post back, as I doubt the Rom set age will matter, providing it is lower.

Hope that helps:

Fn-swoosh (TAB)to get the menu and remap the keys, as the right nub seems defaulted to the P1 fire buttons and I cant get any changes to save it globally, or per game, with any lasting memory on re-playing. Any ideas?

Doh...I'm way to late as usual hence the name! Is there a better lay-out to try btw? :)

Why does MAME always be such a pain in the last few years?! Back when it was a proper baby arcade emulator it was fine...it got too big for its boots and tries to run everything under the sun now...soon it will take over the mainframes and the internet, take control over your Sky+ and remote control sunlounges, and before long your be asking MAME for a payrise before being shoved into a black hatchback by four dodgy blokes in tuxes and taken somewhere to be 'taken care of'....

Sorry haven't had my weetabix this morning...want to play some dogdamn arcade games but cant find the correct romset...ah well back to galaxian at the start of Ridge Rider on Psx4pandora!

think i figured it out, at first it was the spaces in the file/folder names, now that that´s taken care of tho it turns out i just forgot the rest of the data for the games =/ looks like ima need a bigger sd card :D

Back