Mame On Gp2x

SmegPlaza

Still Fresh
Here's a question for you experienced emulator writers out there...

We all know MAME on the '2x is excellent, but it's based around an old version (0.34 I think). I'm interested in what you think are the reasons why a significantly newer version couldn't be ported to the '2x. Why not the latest version, 0.112, for example ?

I know the limited horsepower of the GP2x would mean that a lot of the more modern games wouldn't be playable, but I'm sure there are some intermediate ones (which were only added in later versions of MAME) which would be :)

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers,
Smeg

I've often wondered this myself: my dream is to be able to play the arcade "Aliens" on my GP2X one day! :D

I imagine the reason would be the "limited horsepower" as usual :(

The reason is that porting a newer version requires A LOT of hacking for adapting it to the gp2x. The actual GP2X MAME was already hacked (it comes from GP32's MAME)

SmegPlaza posted on Feb 20 2007 at 10:52 AM said:
Here's a question for you experienced emulator writers out there...

We all know MAME on the '2x is excellent, but it's based around an old version (0.34 I think). I'm interested in what you think are the reasons why a significantly newer version couldn't be ported to the '2x. Why not the latest version, 0.112, for example ?

I know the limited horsepower of the GP2x would mean that a lot of the more modern games wouldn't be playable, but I'm sure there are some intermediate ones (which were only added in later versions of MAME) which would be :)

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers,
Smeg

Older versions were made when computers were much weaker.

Current versions concentrate on compatability not speed, so they are not optimised. If a new version was used even Pacman would run at 10 FPS with no sound on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a 0.60 version or so would be realistic to port but not much more.

I have wondered this before, I know older versions were less powerful etc, obviously expecting 0.112u1 or whatever would be daft. but why specifically 0.34? Why not 0.33 or 0.38? Looking in MAME32, it seems that there were lots of great new game additions going into MAME around that time.

Just interested really...:)

MAME 0.34 was the first version to specifically move from the old sound system to the new WAVE sound format. The author Franxis also specifically remember 0.34 running reasonably well on a ~100Mhz Pentium CPU so figured that it would work well on the GP32, which was the direct predecessor.
PalmMAME uses 0.36 and also works really well but has the advantage of many 100s of additional games some really nice additions too. Outrun, Space Harrier, R-Type, Raiden, Simpsons, Parodius to name a few.

I would die for arcade R-Type on the GP2X. Been running MAME 0.36 on an old P200 for a while now and all the classics run fine. PLEASE GOD MAKE IT COME TRUE I promise to leave the sheep alone

Hey, is the title: Capcom vs Snk 2 avaiable for mame? I'm not sure what all that 0.34 mean and I was wondering if someone could just tell me if it worked on it. That game was cool and it was the last few fun games still in the arcades sonce I was born in the worng decade lol....

Shifty posted on Mar 5 2007 at 01:14 AM said:
Hey, is the title: Capcom vs Snk 2 avaiable for mame? I'm not sure what all that 0.34 mean and I was wondering if someone could just tell me if it worked on it. That game was cool and it was the last few fun games still in the arcades sonce I was born in the worng decade lol....
Capcom vs SNK runs great on GnGeo, if that's what you're looking for.

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom on gngeo, not Capcom Vs SNK

I think Capcom Vs SNK 2 never come to the GP2x because of the to heavy arcade used (Sega NAOMI)

Damn...You saying the only way Ima be able to get it now is like a ps2 port? Does any one know what other systems it came too? Maybe CPS2?

Sega NAOMI is like a Dreamcast, GP2x can't emulate Dreamcast and then this game never will be running onn GP2x ;)

Back