Mame Ready?

ryuho288

Still Fresh
I am getting my GP2X in the next 2 days. Does anyone know if I can play the MAME ROMS right away off from the unit? or I have to wait for the MAME emulator, cause I could not find one on the net. Does anyone know when it will come out?

MAMA is prettry much the only reason I am getting the unit.

With what I remember of Retrocade on the PC, I think it would be much preferable to Mame on the GP32. Where Mame is built for accuracy of the hardware, Retrocade was built for speed and playability.

Igboo

So what kind of game people are playing now on this system?

It does not seem like there is any fully functional emualtors out there yet. I thought the supplier would at least bundle a few when they releases the products....( I guess they can't because of legal issue)

Guess I will put the system in the closet until next year before I can use it on the MAME roms.....I really hope by then it can play all the games in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s..

Thanks for the info.

Rudolph

There are freeware games out...and some interpreters for hexen, quake, quake 2, REminiscence, and ports of snes, nes, sms, atari 800, c64, neogeo cd...

There's quite a bit of stuff out, while not all of them are very optimised, they are enjoyable.

And you will never find a company that will ship a unit with emulators already built in...(well, except for nintendo revolution maybe).

The official release of the gp2x isn't until january, so I wouldn't expect much commercial software, if any, until then...

Right now the #1 draw is the NeoGeo CD emulation, which is fairly speedy & regularly updated. Here's a wiki entry for game compatibility.

However, you can see that Franxis (author of MAME GP32) is taking a shot at porting over his project, which supports 721 romsets at last count.

i checked out the wiki w.i.p. page, and i notice two things that disturb me.. one is NO DOS EMULATOR IN THE WORKS! is this impossible?
the other thing was no genesis emulator in the works. i figured because dr.md was on the gp32 and nobody's working on porting it because it would take little/no time at all to do.

edit: mixup

According to gph someone works on a dos emulator, but nobody seems to know who. ;)

I assume that drmd will be ported once the hh-firmware is out..

1. well, whoever it is needs to get it done by january cause me and my p.o. box have a date with a package from lik-sang! (kidding)

2.i guess no need to worry then.

Reesy? I believe is working on DrMD, I never had a gp32 so I am looking forward to real portable, backlight Sonic gaming goodness.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 2 2005 at 12:19 PM said:
Hum, I wonder how many people are scared away from DrMD, because of the DRM in it....
It's ok, it will only be used to protect new comercially released megadrive roms. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I PMed franxis awhile ago and he told me that he would be porting MAME to the gp2x. I think that emulators like this haven't been released yet because they will be running in HH.

a friend if mine is messing with porting MAME as well, i dont know if he will actually finish a working port or not tho

Back