Mame Rom Versions


WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
3,384
Location
UK
Website
www.retrotech.one
Howdy Doody folks,

I was trying to get mame on my GP32 to work, I have lots of roms for Mame 6 on my PC, but on trying to run them on my GP I keep getting told that the rom contains errors, files are missing etc :( . I'm guessing that I don't have the right ROM versions as I remember similar problem between MAME3 and MAME6 on the PC. I have tried ROMS from older versions of MAME too, but still have the same problem.

Anyone know what version ROMS I should be useing :blink: ?

TTFN,
Clare.
 
Which GP MAME are you trying? Bear in mind, that none of them really work. gMame (by Mirko Roller) can only run three ROMS, and I never managed to get any of them working. Craigix's MAME only runs 8080 based games, but I think it works a lot better, although I've not tried it.

Xcade is probably your best bet, but again, it doesn't run many games - but the ones it does run are pretty good...
 
I dont think mame is working properly on the GP32 yet

There was a Mame Emulator called Gmame that was released that Supported 6 (or 8) Games or something
 
Hia,

I have tried Xcade and GMame, and none of my roms appear to work.

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
 
WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
Hia,

I have tried Xcade and GMame, and none of my roms appear to work.

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
​
Xcade works just fine and Pacman works fine if the roms are properly converted to pdb-files.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
raven posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:32 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
Hia,

I have tried Xcade and GMame, and none of my roms appear to work.

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find  :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
​
Xcade works just fine and Pacman works fine if the roms are properly converted to pdb-files.
​

This is all fine (if it worked), I have tried converting my ROMS to PDB, and kept getting told that there's files missing from the roms, which was what I started this thread in the beginning LOL.

Clare.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Xcade can be a tricky beast and the fact that the standard for Mame rom sets appears to change now and again does not help. I do not think that there is currently a native gp32 alternative. However, you should not have a problem finding Pac-Man for one of the many other emulators that the gp32 supports. There is a good port for the NES which runs fine under Little John, for example.

If anyone else knows of a definitive way to convert MAME rom sets that always works, please let everyone know. I would like to play Lunar Rescue, asteroids and many of the other games that Xcade supports.

Regards,

RatchetMan

;)
 
yeah, XCade uses the "old school standard" rom naming conventions; the MAME guys fiddle with names over the years (which is *rediculous* and a huge pain in the ass for eveyrone involved :/) ..

You can use ClrMAME to rename from MAME names to XCade names; the ClrMAME dat file is in the XCade FAQ on my website (in the Palm OS XCade FAQ, since same rom converter is used.)

One of these days I will have to make a GP32 version that just loads the zip files :P

jeff
 
WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:48 PM said:
This is all fine (if it worked), I have tried converting my ROMS to PDB, and kept getting told that there's files missing from the roms, which was what I started this thread in the beginning LOL.

Clare.
​
Ah, that wasn't clear to me, thought you were only having trouble trying to run them, not converting them. Anyways, listen to skeezix, that's how I converted my roms (and of course he wrote the thing :)). The mame rom-zips contain all the files you need it's just that the names have been changed.

With the right tools it's really not that difficult :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're best off playing pacman on a NES emu etc -
there's no sound on XMame for one and secondly the original pacman ran in vertical screen mode so it won't really suit the GP anyway
 
ste_167 posted on Sep 23 2004 at 03:42 PM said:
You're best off playing pacman on a NES emu etc -
there's no sound on XMame for one and secondly the original pacman ran in vertical screen mode so it won't really suit the GP anyway
​
Pacman has sound in Xcade, the screen is a little too small though, you can see the playfield but miss the outer lines at the bottom.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cozmic posted on Sep 23 2004 at 02:27 PM said:
PACMAN for the MSX rules!!


BTW clare, are you rich or something, having such a view?!?
​

Meee, Rich, LMAO, I wish. I just have a top floor flat that overlooks the sea :), a view I will never get tired of B) If I was rich, I would spend more time playing games and drinking wine than I do working :blink: ...

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top