MAME

Ian J

Advanced Member
I played Tempest on one of the Pandora's at Replay but used D-Pad, even so I felt like a god having such a classic arcade game in the palm of my hands.

Can anyone confirm if the nubs work in MAME and how successful they are.

I'm mainly thinking for driving games (Super Hang-on, Chase HQ etc.) but also for 2 stick shooters.

Ian

The nubs work in Mame 106 on Pandora alright, handy for playing Star Wars. Mame4all has the greater Rom compatibility but if nubs can be made to work in it someone else will have to chime in with their advice at this point.

Many thanks Asmo

How does Star Wars work, that one that is very tricky to get 100% right on PC with mouse.

I had no idea nubs worked in MAME .106?

It took me by surprise too, I can't recall much talk about it since everyone uses Mame4all by default now - but Star Wars is borked in that because the D-Pad isn't even remotely useable in it (even if you get past the offset cursor problem first). I keep Mame 106 installed for Star Wars specifically.

How does Star Wars work, that one that is very tricky to get 100% right on PC with mouse.

- nubs work fine (maybe a little over-sensitive at default setting), takes a little getting used to when you can't just fling them around like a mouse, but it's very playable. Star Wars benefits from little extra CPU speed.

I've just re-downloaded MAME106 thanks to this thread, and discovered it supports USB input. This is good news, finally I might be able to play Arkanoid with a spinner. Shame it's such an awful version to use though. (I know I shouldn't say that about something someone ported for us... but it is.)

Back