Mame4All 2.3

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of my MAME port for the GP2X and the WIZ consoles:

Changes by Franxis:
- WIZ: Added VSync option. Thanks to Exophase.
- WIZ: 120 Hz video mode is used to solve issues with latest firmware 1.1.0 and to improve the performance with VSync option enabled. Also the diagonal line is less noticeable. Thanks Exophase and Notaz for the pollux_set library.
- WIZ: Relaced MMUHack by wARM kernel module. Thanks to Notaz.
- WIZ: Added option to enable RAM tweaks to gain more speed. Thanks to Notaz for the pollux_set library.
- WIZ: The option to fix completely the diagonal line is now accesible in the "Video Aspect" menu.
- WIZ: More upper memory is available because the video frame-buffers are placed in the kernel part of the upper memory (located at 0x2A00000).
- Improved controls: Defender, Stargate, Vindicators, Battle Zone, Sarge, Assault, TNK III, Ikari Warriors, Victory Road, Guerrilla War, Bermuda Triangle, Heavy Barrel, Midnight Resistance, Robotron, Inferno, Splat!, Forgotten Worlds, Gondomania, Mad Planets, Top Gunner, Tron, Kozmik Kroozr, Discs of Tron, Crater Raider, Zwackery, Search and Rescue, Ikari III, Time Soldiers, Battle Field, Aztarac, Black Widow, Rescue Rider, Crazy Climber 2, Bandido, Sheriff, Smash T.V., Total Carnage, Wild Western, Front Line, The Tin Star, Mars, Rescue, Minefield, Lost Tomb, Space Dungeon, The Return of Ishtar, Crazy Climber, Cloak & Dagger, Fire Trap, Krull, Screw Loose, Karate Champ.
- Fixed crashes in Midway games using TMS34010 CPU (caused by unaligned memory accesses). Also the CPU frequencies have been tweaked to gain speed.
- Added access to the profiler (L+MENU) and the FPS counter (R+SELECT).

Changes by Slaanesh:
- New romsets added: Momoko 120% (momoko), Fire Truck (firetrk), Fairyland Story (flstory), Fairyland Story (Japan) (flstoryj), Kuri Kinton (World) (kurikint), Kuri Kinton (prototype) (kurikina), Play Girls (plgirls), Play Girls 2 (plgirls2), Cuby Bop (cubybop), Tube-It (tubeit), Raimais (Japan) (raimais).
- Improved sound in Taito L-System drivers. This adds sounds to some games where it was previously missing (ie. Fighting Hawk).
- Sound improved in X-Men. Added K05439 sound CPU support.

Download it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Wow talk about an upgrade, and in such a short time. Franxis always amazes me. downloading now.

Awesome update. Seems like everything is running a bit smoother than the last version on the 1.1.0 firmware. I can see that the controls for Forgotten Worlds have been improved. Does that mean that the game works on Mame4all? Because everytime try it (US version), I can play 10 seconds of the game and then my Wiz feeezes and it is exactly the same place in ther game every time :(. Exiting Outrun still freezes the Wiz also.

Great release, Franxis! SmashTV now goes like hell. :D

Is it possible to improve the controls for Sega's SDI?

Exiting Outrun still freezes the Wiz also.

This is a known bug using the DrZ80 core. It's not easy to fix since the bug is in the ARM asm optimised core.
Using only the Cyclone 68000 core Outrun don't crash but is of course slower...

Excellent update, but a couple of things:

1. Is there any way you can make the default volume lower so I don't have to rush for the Vol- button everytime I start a game?
(Or is there a way of hacking it?)

2. Can games like Pacman etc. be scaled so they fit in the screen vertically (without a little bit at the bottom missing)?
(I can't get used to holding the Wiz on it's side!)
(Some don't fit at all: eg. Tapper)

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
2. Can games like Pacman etc. be scaled so they fit in the screen vertically (without a little bit at the bottom missing)?
(I can't get used to holding the Wiz on it's side!

Cheers, Neil

I think this is already on Franxis to-do list:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48278-mame4all-2-2-released/page__view__findpost__p__735374

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
Great release, Franxis! SmashTV now goes like hell. :D

Is it possible to improve the controls for Sega's SDI?

Exiting Outrun still freezes the Wiz also.

This is a known bug using the DrZ80 core. It's not easy to fix since the bug is in the ARM asm optimised core.
Using only the Cyclone 68000 core Outrun don't crash but is of course slower...

Oh, right I forgot that... :) Now I only need a fix for Forgotten Worlds.

Regards

André

Oh, right I forgot that... :) Now I only need a fix for Forgotten Worlds.

2 solutions are possible:

1. Turn the sound off in MAME4all. Yeah, I know. Not the best solution. Forgotten Worlds seem to suffer from the same bug as Block Out.

2. Use FinalBurn Alpha. Unluckily the sound is distorted here. :-(

Thanks for the continued great work.

I noticed a few minor bugs:

NeoGeo games are all messed up if you use the tearing-normal (non-scaled) fix option, the backgrounds are rotated while the text is normal.

Robotron in normal mode the screen is not centered, it is moved towards the left.

Pepper II not working right, runs at 1 FPS and has no sound, same with Venture.

Rampage is cut off all around, using the scale mode to try to see whole screen has no effect, still can't see most of the screen making it unplayable. Same with a few other games using the same hardware.

Space Duel? You can insert coins but not start. Well I found out you can, it is just weird. You need to press UP + MENU to start, Is there a way for me to bind a single key to do this?

Any way to edit how game title names show in list? I want to add brief notes like "UP+MENU=START" etc after name. On some weird games sometimes they need odd things that are easy to forget.

Could there be an option "starting game volume" that is saved with every game? Some are louder than others and some start up blowing the speakers out while a few others are quiet.

So far though it is great. I am using the older 1.0.0 FW.

If you're taking requests....

1) Save states. I only get to use my wiz for short periods of time so a save facility would really come in handy.

2) Picture previews. This exists on some MAME front ends and makes browsing roms a nice experience.

3) Sort by date, genre etc. Again this is a feature on some frontends. If it had the ability to add a favourites list as well that would be ace.

4) Scanlines, I know it means lower res but I love that old school arcade look :)
Maybe it could slightly increase performance in some games too?

5) Touch screen support for trackball games.
I have no idea if this is workable or not though.

6) Can I have a pony?

Sorry for all the requests. It's a great emulator and it's the main reason I got a Wiz.
These would just make it perfect in my book!

You mentioned an increase in the availability of upper RAM... does this mean that larger neo geo games work?

I still cannot get Ninja Master's to work, although it does work in FBA... wanted to try it in this to see if it was any faster.

Excellent emulator, by the way.

Thank you!

NeoGML said:
You mentioned an increase in the availability of upper RAM... does this mean that larger neo geo games work?

I still cannot get Ninja Master's to work, although it does work in FBA... wanted to try it in this to see if it was any faster.

Thank you!

No, Ninja Master and other Neo·Geo games still don't work. There is more upper memory available now (about 4 MB), but it is still not enough to load the biggest games. I will try to solve it for the next version. Regards.

I see, thanks for responding!

Franxis said:
NeoGML said:

Thank you!

No, Ninja Master and other Neo·Geo games still don't work. There is more upper memory available now (about 4 MB), but it is still not enough to load the biggest games. I will try to solve it for the next version. Regards.

Back