MAME4All Favorites

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
With the most recent addition by SteveM in the MAME zone, I was wondering what some of peoples favorites are. More importantly, what are some of the not so popular gems you enjoy on MAME.

This is the reason I got a Pandora, and let me tell you, its really sweet controlling MAME on a Pandora, thanks DaveC as well.

SteveM, I'll be sending some loot your way to buy a new SD card, hashish, or a few beers.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

MAME Faves:

Crazy Kong (Orca)

Donkey Kong Jr

Mr Do

Jungle King

Rush N Attack

Zaxxon

Lady Bug

Double Dragon

Pac Man Plus

Super Pac Man

Elevator Action

Berzerk

Gauntlet

Rampart

I have a quick question before I add any recommendations: Is this restricted to MAME4all, or can we recommend stuff that works with the build of MAME 0.106 as well? (If so, should we specify that?)

I have a quick question before I add any recommendations: Is this restricted to MAME4all, or can we recommend stuff that works with the build of MAME 0.106 as well? (If so, should we specify that?)
I'd say it's free game, but maybe specify specifically for .106 and why the .106 is better than MAME4All. Might prevent some questions, but this could be opening up a can of worms about varying romsets, advantages/disadvantages of various MAMEs.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I don't want to open up any cans of worms, goodness no - we've seen all that before. :lol: The thing is, I only use 0.106 on all of my machines and haven't used MAME4All at all, so I wanted to avoid any possible confusion. :)

Anyway, without further ado, these are my recommendations. I know some of them would definitely be supported by MAME4All, but I don't know that for sure about all of them, so I ask the reader to bear in mind that I only use MAME 0.106. :p

Mappy - Platform-esque - (mappy, mappyj) - Play as Mappy, a mouse who is a member of the Micro-Police, as he braves a house occupied by the cat-burglar Nyamco and his hench-kitties, the Mewkies, in an attempt to retrieve stolen goods. If you can manage to pick up the matching pairs of items in sequence without getting yourself killed, you can score big points.

Pac-Man - Maze - (puckman, pacman) - As far as I'm aware, this was the first video game to star a hero character (rather than a vehicle of some sort). You must guide Pac-Man around the maze, eating dots and the occasional piece of food that appears, and avoiding the four ghosts, Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Clyde. You can turn the tables on the ghosts by eating a Power Pellet - then you can eat them, too! The Engrishy-named bootleg, Hangly Man (hangly), apparently provides an interesting variation on this game's mazes.

Ms. Pac-Man - Maze - (mspacman) - This game is much like Pac-Man, except you play as Ms. Pac-Man, and the gameplay is more refined. The behaviour of the ghosts (Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Sue) is more random than in the original game, and it takes good reflexes to outwit them at times. The bonus food in this game bounces around the maze, meaning that you have to chase it before it gets away.

Bubble Bobble - Platformer - (bublbobl) - Play as the humans-turned-into-Bubble Dragons, Bub and Bob, as they attempt to rescue their kidnapped girlfriends from the Cave of Monsters. You have to blow bubbles to trap enemies in, and then burst them in order to despatch your foes. Bubble Bobble has an excellent two-player mode, which is actually necessary to play through in order to truly beat the game. And who couldn't love a game where the last boss has a name like Super Drunk?

Asteroids - Space shooter - (asteroid) - A vector-based game where you navigate an unusually-controlled spaceship through a field of asteroids. Shoot a big asteroid, and it will split into two smaller ones. Shoot the two smaller ones, and they will each split into two tiny ones. Beware of the UFOs, especially the small ones which have greater accuracy and speed, because they can shoot you, too. You can use the Hyperspace button to quickly warp away when you're in a fix, but there is a chance that your ship will explode when it rematerialises, so be wary.

Strider - Platformer - (strider) - Play as the ninja-like Strider Hiryu as he seeks to prevent Grandmaster Meio from taking over the Earth from his space-station, The Third Moon. Excellent soundtrack, and a great challenge.

Burger Time - Platform-esque - (btime) - Help Peter Pepper to construct giant hamburgers by walking over the individual parts to make them fall to the platform below, whilst avoiding the terrifying anthropomorphic foods that want to stop him. Trap your foes in the burgers for extra points.

Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - Boss-rush - (megaman2, rckman2j) - The second of the two arcade-exclusive Mega Man games (the first one being Mega Man: The Power Battle). Pick from one of four playable characters, and fight your way through different sets of classic Mega Man bosses, before attempting to defeat Dr. Wily. You can take the bosses' weapons once you defeat them, and use them against other enemies (think along the lines of Rock, Paper, Scissors). This game has a two-player semi-co-operative mode, where you can help each other to defeat the bosses, but then race to claim their weapon for yourself (the player with the highest score at the end is considered the winner).

Last edited by a moderator:
Street Fighter 2

Any incarnation, but I guess Super SF2 Turbo was the ultimate.

Pang

Shoot bouncing bubbles with a spear gun, which then split into two, then shoot those two and they split down again, and so on until they disappear completely. Sounds weird but it's really addidctive.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The Simpsons

Essentially the same game repackaged, they're both side scrolling, button bashing beat 'em ups. Both four player.

Final Fight

The pinnacle of side scrolling beat 'em ups. See also Captain Commando for something similar.

Shinobi

Play as a ninja in this side scroller. Really fun and addictive hitting enemies with those ninja stars.

Toki (or JuJu)

One of the best platformers ever. You're a monkey who shoots fireballs, or something, from his mouth and you have to rescue some girl or princess, I dunno. It's awesome anyway.

Wrestlefest

Wrestling game. Don't judge me, it's a lot of fun :p

I could go on all day, I spent way too much time playing arcade games :D

tumblepop - The game involves one or two ghost-busters who can suck monsters, ghosts, aliens and various other oddball characters into vacuum-cleaner-like devices and spit them back as bouncing/rolling balls

tumb0018.jpeg

I remember playing this alongside street fighter 2 inside my video rental shop when I was about 10 :) good times - street fighter was my fav though obviously.

Shadow Warriors - between this and Splatterhouse I spent the most time in the arcades. Once my mum dragged us out and told us that we should just wait until it came out on our home comupter, which we said that there was no way that home games were ever going be as good as the arcade ones.

gaiden.gif

Shadow Warriors - between this and Splatterhouse I spent the most time in the arcades. Once my mum dragged us out and told us that we should just wait until it came out on our home comupter, which we said that there was no way that home games were ever going be as good as the arcade ones.

gaiden.gif
I remember those days, the arcades always seemed light years ahead of the home systems. I haven't been in an arcade for a while, surely they have holodecks by now? :p

Ive tried searching all over for a romset for mame4all 0.37b5 :( my tumblepop wont work cos the rom has changed and I cant figure out clrmamepro :(

Discs of Tron was always one of my faves but hard to play because of the controls. One controller was used for left,right, forward and back whilst the other was used for throwing height.

Thankfully the duel nubs of the Pandora should work flawlessly with this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb147VefFKQ

Final Fight.. yeah capcom games !

I don't know if mame can emulate cps3, but if it is, i vote for Street Fighter 3, 3rd strike !

Mac

One of the reasons I discovered Mame at all was attempting to find out why this game never got a home port to any platform...

Konami Aliens

More details on the game and flyer here

http://kotaku.com/295811/arcade-flyer-art-saturday-aliens

Exciting Hour

Also known as MatMania(parent ROM) and ManiaChallenge, this was a popular machine in my local seaside pier arcades. Lots of competition at the time along with Tron, StarWars, Ghost n Ghoblins, PacLand, Track n Field, HyperSports and others. Its a great fun game with comical moves and this version has funnier character names that are very un-PC, but a product of the era. Great frantic music and meat pummeling sound effects. Well worth a few cents imho. Not sure what he's upto in the third pic but hey :)

Wardner is my most played game in MAME, it's an excellent GnG style game packed to the brim with secret bits.

@MarioPandio

Totally agree with you on Aliens.

I had it across the street from where I worked, and played it every chance I got for a whole summer. Super cool game, that is very well made, and fun to play. I don't know why it was never ported home. I'm guessing it just never did that well in the arcades.

Chris

Back