Mame4All Gp32 V1.0

Cool, this is great to see. It's stuff like this that keeps devices alive for years an shows the power of open source communities :D Cheers Slaanesh! :)

Hey slaanesh,

it's good to see that you still support the GP32, in despite of your entanglements in more up-to-date handheld consoles.
Thanks a lot for your effort. I'll have to test it out in the next couple of days... :)

bought another SMC. Wow, very polished. The Games I have tested worked quite well (Choplifter, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong, Phoenix, Track&Field, Green Beret, Scramble, 1942, Ghosts'n'Goblins and others I can't remember). I couldn't start Battlezone though.

chaos engineer said:
bought another SMC. Wow, very polished. The Games I have tested worked quite well (Choplifter, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong, Phoenix, Track&Field, Green Beret, Scramble, 1942, Ghosts'n'Goblins and others I can't remember). I couldn't start Battlezone though.
Thanks for the feedback.
Battlezone does work - I just played it.
I've also made some more improvements since and if everything goes right, I'm hoping for a good speed boost all round for all games.

Last edited by a moderator:
*cheer* gogo :)

I'll go see if I can find an XD card (I picked up an XD->SMC adapter, but simply cannot for a damned XD card anywhere) .. I'll chekc ebay again. If it works, way cool.. *heart gp32*

jeff

skeezix said:
*cheer* gogo :)

I'll go see if I can find an XD card (I picked up an XD->SMC adapter, but simply cannot for a damned XD card anywhere) .. I'll chekc ebay again. If it works, way cool.. *heart gp32*

jeff

Hi skeezix,

I guess you never saw my post about 128MB xd card in the `Who still uses their GP32` thread i posted quite a while ago,

here

The first link still has them in stock, But the second link sadly has replaced the 128MB xd cards with 256MB cards.

I know, I`ll PM you, Because these things are getting rarer than rocking horse shit, And it`s any ones guess how long these are gonna be around.

EDIT: Sorry slaanesh, Bloody brilliant work on the mame update, Thank you very much for all the work you have done for the GP32 (and Dingoo), And for squeesing so much more out of the grandaddy of handheld homebrew, Thanks again.

Trooper

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Special thanks to Franxis - he's put all that continuing hard work into MAME. *claps*

chaos engineer said:
slaanesh said:
Battlezone does work - I just played it.
you are right, it just takes some time until it leaves the black screen (my impatience)
All the vector games take a while to start as they are pre-calculating tables to speed up the game.

Pre-calculating? Which tables .. I should see what they're up to in the current drivers; back when I was coding up that shit from scratch I didn't pregenerate too much.

Some of the MAME guys just love to rewrite things; sometimes I think its because they just want their name all over the code instead of others, but often its superior code. My piece of MAME (cinematronics engine) ot taken out awhile back.. *sniff* :)

trooper -- for some reason I can't pull the PM up through my web proxy setup at work, but I've read it; I'll take a look -- I did manage to find a dude with a 1GB XD in my city on ebay so ordered it ($16CDN), so hopefully I'll get that next week; otherwise I'll hit up your link and order something that way. At least the size is right .. I worry the >128MB cards will just fail to operate (rather than being seen as 128MB like I hope they will..)

If the XD works, it could be a big boost for the GP32 though; they're hard to get, but hella cheaper than the SMCs for now, and I'm hoping the XD adapter will stop my GP32 from eating SMCs. (Does everyone have that? My first couple GP32's didn't kill cards so much; in the end I picked up DaveC's backup BLU and its gorgeous, but that bastard eats an SMC after like 2 insertions .. should've kept my old FLU :) (I'm afraid to stick my commercial games into the thing, even!)

jeff

skeezix said:
Pre-calculating? Which tables .. I should see what they're up to in the current drivers; back when I was coding up that shit from scratch I didn't pregenerate too much.
These ones:

/* allocate memory for tables */
pTcosin = malloc ( (2048+1) * sizeof(INT32)); /* yes! 2049 is correct */
pTinten = malloc ( total_colors * 256 * sizeof(UINT8));
pTmerge = malloc (total_colors * total_colors * sizeof(UINT32));
invpens = malloc (65536 * sizeof(UINT16));
pixel = malloc (MAX_PIXELS * sizeof (UINT32));
old_list = malloc (MAX_POINTS * sizeof (point));
new_list = malloc (MAX_POINTS * sizeof (point));

Hi slaanesh,

after a short test period, i discovered some strange behaviors:

Why serveral (or all ?) mclassic games like DONKEY KONG or ZAXXON, do need following ROMs:
'zzzapc, zzzapd, zzzape, zzzapf, zzzapg, zzzaph' (from game-romset '280zzzap') ?

When i start these games it appears
LOADING zzzaph
LOADING zzzapg
etc.

zzzaph NOT FOUND
zzzapg NOT FOUND
etc.

Then it goes back to the select screen.

And the start of BOMB JACK, GYRUSS or LAST MISSION causes a reboot of the GP32 (i've tried different romsets).

Can anyone confirm these problems, or am i the only one ?

However, it's awesome to hear sfx in PACLAND and voices in WIZARD OF WOR. :)

camiga64 said:
Hi slaanesh,

after a short test period, i discovered some strange behaviors:

Why serveral (or all ?) mclassic games like DONKEY KONG or ZAXXON, do need following ROMs:
'zzzapc, zzzapd, zzzape, zzzapf, zzzapg, zzzaph' (from game-romset '280zzzap') ?

When i start these games it appears
LOADING zzzaph
LOADING zzzapg
etc.

zzzaph NOT FOUND
zzzapg NOT FOUND
etc.

Then it goes back to the select screen.

And the start of BOMB JACK, GYRUSS or LAST MISSION causes a reboot of the GP32 (i've tried different romsets).

Can anyone confirm these problems, or am i the only one ?

However, it's awesome to hear sfx in PACLAND and voices in WIZARD OF WOR. :)
I suggest you rebuild the games list? Hit <START>+<SELECT> at the game selection screen.

Also, make sure you remove all the config files in the "frontend" directory if you were using MAME4ALL GP32 Beta.

After many tests i finally found the reason for this strange behavior.
Every sound setting above 8 khz causes a reboot, or this 'LOADING zzzapX ... zzzapX NOT FOUND' thing (independent of the clock speed setting).

Perhaps a BLU+ problem ?
i don't know, but this does not occur with MameGP2.x. :blink:

Hmmmm, yes I don't actually have a BLU+ so I can't test.
It must be a BLU+ problem as the behavior you describe certainly does not happen on my FLU or BLU.

Also, I've made some progress with profiling on the GP32. This seems to result in about a 10% speed increase in many games.

Back