Manufacture Failure Rate?

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
When the board went on the test run, the failure rate was 25% if my memory serves me correctly....has this been put right now? I mean, there will obviously still be mistakes but will these be reduced now everything seems to be on the right track? Or is it a case of suck it and see? I hate that phrase.

Software ran on each board should allow fast detection of a problem. The NAND won't be flashed if anything does not pass the test, imagine one of those old 80s arcade machines booting up.

It will no doubt take them a little while to perfect the process, but they already make OMAP3 devices so the odds are in our favour.

I remember MWeston saying that this was specifically the failure rate for the test boards, and that it was simply a matter of reflowing them to get them working - the failure rate was said to be high because the equipment hadn't yet been tuned to the insanely close BGA on the chips...

I don't yet know it that machinery has been tuned, but I would speculate that it probably has been (or will be shortly - certainly before the first MK3s actually go out).

It's been a long time since that post though, and whilst that was presumably with the MK2 board, I imagine the same tunings will apply and make testing for the MK3 *much* faster.

Back