Atari St Emulator And Music Apps

Windy

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if apps such as Cubase will be of any value with the Atari ST emulator. If my memory serves me correctly, such apps would work great with physical MIDI port and external synths, but physical MIDI isn't supported with the Pandora. I don't believe the Atari apps had softsynths or even GM capability so you couldn't create and play a MIDI file in the emulator and hear the track

Or am I talking rubbish!!

Would there be any recommended music apps to use with the ST Emulator (or Amiga or any other emulator)

There was some Mod maker program that was quite well known but I cant remember it but Ive used these site below to find software.

Atari:
http://www.atari-forum.com/index.php

Amiga:
http://eab.abime.net/index.php

Achtung Gruso! The Pandora OS does not currently ship with snd-usb-audio!

This is an oversight that I hope will be fixed in the next release, or with the Hotfix #2 pack (gotta coordinate this with DJWillis) .. but for now it means that USB-MIDI is *not* plug and play on the Pandora, unfortunately. :(

We'll get this sorted soon, and if I can work it out with DJWillis, maybe we'll put the sound/audio related modules into a PND or available in a Hotfix to resolve the issue. Something I'll be looking at over the weekend, as I prepare some other music-making toys for release ..

That said: its going to be awesome to have an Atari for music-making again! :)

Oh, cheers for the clarification. :) Perhaps it was enabled in Skeezix's dev unit, or maybe he was just referring to the emulator itself supporting it. Good to know these issues are at the forefront of the right minds, anyway!

torpor -- you have a USB midi adapter handy? Awesome :) I didn't actually try it on my pandora (no usb midi adapter, I keep real TOS machines around for that :) -- Hatari should theoretically work with usb midi, but I would love to know for sure :)

(Cubase VST ftw, btw)

jeff

torpor -- you have a USB midi adapter handy?

I have plenty of such things available .. something like 15 different USB MIDI devices in the house .. well, I used to write firmware for such things, so .. ;)

Hatari should theoretically work with usb midi

If snd-usb-audio is loaded, and if Hatari is coded to work with alsa for MIDI device enumeration, it should indeed work out of the box .. I have no idea about Hatari, but we can *certainly* address this issue collectively as we move towards making the Pandora more and more musician-friendly, can't we now! :)

I can't wait to try somes games in dosbox on the Pandora with a midi adapter and my old Roland MT-32.

Back