Pandora Running Atari St Emulator .. Gorgeous!

That soundtrack wasn't actually part of the game it was a bonus casette tape that came with it, you would play the casette on your "hi-fi" or "boombox" as they were called back in the day while you played the game... ah fashion was a wonderful thing back in those days I wore an onion on my belt. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going? Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...
Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Iorgy77 said:
That soundtrack wasn't actually part of the game it was a bonus casette tape that came with it, you would play the casette on your "hi-fi" or "boombox" as they were called back in the day while you played the game...
Thanks, I can read the title of that video myself. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in the "Getting MIDI working in the Atari ST emulator" interested-party .. this is a really, really sweet idea .. we *NEED* gadget-USBMIDI drivers too, as well as the USBMIDI class drivers for PandoraOS .. hope we can get those up and running pretty quickly (its smooth on Beagle/Angstrom and Touchbook, at least..)

liquidphantom said:
Mad Professor Moriarty, Quick and Silva, HERO (flashback clone) Bomb Jack, Black Lamp (loved that game), Flood, Baby Jo,

Only heard of Bombjack there and I wouldn't really class it as a platform game.

Dizzy games,

Again Dizzy games (which are great, by the way) wouldn't really come across to me as Platform games.

Venus the Fly Trap (awesome Shooty platformer),

Don't know it

Fire and Ice, James Pond 1 and 2, Leander. The list goes on there were loads.

Ya you see Fire and Ice was typical of the Amiga/ST platform games I remember: Not Very Good! James Pond and Robocod weren't much better. When I said platformers weren't the machines strong point I wasn't saying there weren't many, just that there weren't very many good ones.

Compared to Megadrive and SNES, the Amiga just didn't generally cut it for platform games. Now when you start talking about puzzle games, adventure games, pinball games, shoot em ups there's loads of great games - like best in their field type of games.

Oh I did think of another good one for Amiga - Chuck Rock II

Robocod was excellent and bombjack is by definition a platform game. Others on the amiga/ST are bubble bobble, rainbow islands, new zealand story, parasol stars, addams family, blues brothers, prehistorik, black tiger, wonderboy in monsterland, giana sisters, B.C Kid, Liquid Kids, First Samurai, Leander, Risky Woods, Wolfchild, Soccer Kid, Sleepwalker, Kid Chaos, Nikky Boom, PP Hammer, Premiere, PRINCE OF PERSIA, Batman, Gods, Second Samurai, Putty, Ruff n Tumble, Snow Bros, Super Methane Bros, Terramex, Toki, The Killing Game Show, Terramex and Hard n Heavy.

All of these I consider good solid platformers. If its just the Amiga/ST dont have platformers that Pleng doesnt think are good then yes I agree, but to say Amiga/ST didnt have many good ones in general, well you are flat out wrong.

Every system had its fair share of crap. I challenge you to name all these so called excellent platformers on the SNES + Megadrive besides the Sonic and Mario games, I think you will find the list isn't as long as you think it is. The PCEngine on the other hand had some awesome platformers.

Many thanks for the platforming suggestions, chaps. I've got a few in Amiga form already, but I can still see plenty of stuff to look into here. :D

I absolutely love Fire and Ice, by the way, it has to be said (it's legally freely available for the Amiga, which is how it got into my collection - it's over on Back to the Roots' archive). :D

Pleng said:
liquidphantom said:
Mad Professor Moriarty, Quick and Silva, HERO (flashback clone) Bomb Jack, Black Lamp (loved that game), Flood, Baby Jo,

Only heard of Bombjack there and I wouldn't really class it as a platform game.

Dizzy games,

Again Dizzy games (which are great, by the way) wouldn't really come across to me as Platform games.

Venus the Fly Trap (awesome Shooty platformer),

Don't know it

Fire and Ice, James Pond 1 and 2, Leander. The list goes on there were loads.

Ya you see Fire and Ice was typical of the Amiga/ST platform games I remember: Not Very Good! James Pond and Robocod weren't much better. When I said platformers weren't the machines strong point I wasn't saying there weren't many, just that there weren't very many good ones.

Compared to Megadrive and SNES, the Amiga just didn't generally cut it for platform games. Now when you start talking about puzzle games, adventure games, pinball games, shoot em ups there's loads of great games - like best in their field type of games.

Oh I did think of another good one for Amiga - Chuck Rock II

It's all purely opinion at the end of the day, just because you don't think something is good doesn't mean it isn't. IMO Mad Professor Moriarty is probably one of the best platformers made.. much prefer it to Super Mario.

The chuck rock games were good though as was Toki, there were a couple of others I can't remember what the hell they were called though.

A platformer though is esentialy a game which had platforms to run, climb and jump to, every one of those games I listed would fall into that category.

in terms of Sega/Niintendo there are only really a few noteworthy examples, Sonic, Mario, Alex Kid, and Castlevania, as well as the multi format titles of Flashback and Another World, to be honest I cant remember many others.

Side tracking a bit... I can't wait to play Bombuzal and Chips Challenge again :D

Back