Atarii St with Hatari

Staffan

Still Fresh
Hi!

What about this hatari emulator? Does it work well? Or should an old Atari St fan have to use the Amiga 500 emulator instead?

Everyone talks about amiga on the pandora, but i would lika to play the atari.

Ive ordered my pandora from Ebay and it should arrive soon.

/Staffan

Hi!

What about this hatari emulator? Does it work well? Or should an old Atari St fan have to use the Amiga 500 emulator instead?

/Staffan

Hi

Not played with it that much, but yea it seems to work OK.

Only problem I have with it is the keyboard, I cannot find how to get an Atari keyboard

to use. When running a game if asked to press Return, I found by trial and error that

the Space key on the Pandora has to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

/Staffan

Hi

Not played with it that much, but yea it seems to work OK.

Only problem I have with it is the keyboard, I cannot find how to get an Atari keyboard

to use. When running a game if asked to press Return, I found by trial and error that

the Space key on the Pandora has to be used.

Ah ok. Well, as long as the games work its a small issue. At least if there is also one button for the space button.

Hatari is a very good ST emulator (and also has limited support for TT, Falcon, etc.) Of ST emus, most are closed source and stagnant.. Hatari is still under active development, and is open source, and of high quality.

The port is a straioght build with only minor tweaking to make it for Pandora (ie: I added some nub magic to make it a little more seamless); it works very well (mount MSA or ST floppies, can use native directories as hard drive, built in GUI for setting up the ST and configs); it could perhaps use an onscreen HUD ST keyboard, but I didn't see the need as most keys woudl be usable from the Pandora keyboard .. though for serious DTP or the like a few keys are missing, but I doubt many are doing that in practice; the MIDI even works though ;)

jeff

That sounds great! Hope it will be easy to get it up and running since im no hacker pro. Just a nostalgic user. But we'll se what happens.

Cant wait to play Cloud kingdoms, flood and Rainbow Island!

I have been using version 1.4 of Hatari and am very impressed. Works much like I am using my

Atari ST.

Now there is an upgraded version, 1.5. How about an upgrqade in the REPRO? Thanks much....

Hatari is a very good ST emulator (and also has limited support for TT, Falcon, etc.) Of ST emus, most are closed source and stagnant.. Hatari is still under active development, and is open source, and of high quality.

The port is a straioght build with only minor tweaking to make it for Pandora (ie: I added some nub magic to make it a little more seamless); it works very well (mount MSA or ST floppies, can use native directories as hard drive, built in GUI for setting up the ST and configs); it could perhaps use an onscreen HUD ST keyboard, but I didn't see the need as most keys woudl be usable from the Pandora keyboard .. though for serious DTP or the like a few keys are missing, but I doubt many are doing that in practice; the MIDI even works though
wink.gif

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am an old time ST user and enjoyed Outcast on the GP2X a lot and am now trying Hatari on the Pandora.

Main reason for trying Hatari now was playing Obsession pinball for STE. I am pretty sure it works quite well on Hatari, but the Hatari version that is installed and available in the repo is 1.3.1. On this version the game has issues.

I have seen reports of 1.4 hatari, but this link doesn't seem to work http://dl.openhandhelds.org/pandora//uploads/Home/Pandora%20-%20Emulators/Computer%20Emulators/Hatari140b.pnd

Can you please share that version so I can try that one, maybe it works better on that version?

BTW. current version of the emulator is 1.61 so if you have a bit of time and like to please some ST fans an updated version would be even better :)

The port is a straioght build with only minor tweaking to make it for Pandora (ie: I added some nub magic to make it a little more seamless); it works very well (mount MSA or ST floppies, can use native directories as hard drive, built in GUI for setting up the ST and configs); it could perhaps use an onscreen HUD ST keyboard, but I didn't see the need as most keys woudl be usable from the Pandora keyboard .. though for serious DTP or the like a few keys are missing, but I doubt many are doing that in practice; the MIDI even works though
wink.gif

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am an old time ST user and enjoyed Outcast on the GP2X a lot and am now trying Hatari on the Pandora.

Main reason for trying Hatari now was playing Obsession pinball for STE. I am pretty sure it works quite well on Hatari, but the Hatari version that is installed and available in the repo is 1.3.1. On this version the game has issues.

I have seen reports of 1.4 hatari, but this link doesn't seem to work http://dl.openhandhe.../Hatari140b.pnd

Can you please share that version so I can try that one, maybe it works better on that version?

BTW. current version of the emulator is 1.61 so if you have a bit of time and like to please some ST fans an updated version would be even better :)

Yeah, I second that motion. I would love an upgrade. The current version works fine, but there are some games that do not load. Maybe an upgrade would fix that.

I can look into doing a build of 1.6.1 I suppose .. I really dislike the build system they switched to, but I'll see if I can wrestle it into its place ;)

jeff

Sounds good.I must try hatari when i get my 1ghz pandora.There is some good st exclusive games no doubt as i was an amiga guy really.

I can look into doing a build of 1.6.1 I suppose .. I really dislike the build system they switched to, but I'll see if I can wrestle it into its place ;)

jeff

That would be great. Look into it and let us now. Thanks much...

tl;dr ..

I've got pnds for Hatari 1.3.1, 1.4.0, 1.5.0 and not yet for 1.6.1. Did a fresh build of 1.5.0 today and just doing a test now .. 1.6.1 is annoying with its cmake sillyness, so someone bug me in a month or so, pretty tied up now

Hrrm, my 1.5.0 build is funky .. maybe I need ot go for 1.6.1 and do the pain to get cmake cross compilation sorted out, and then at least be ready for 1.7...

No time to fix it right now, so keep bugging me, remind me on Monday :)

Aside geekery:

I'm an old Atari nerd and have written my own ST emus and such, I'm pretty on top of the ST emu scene ;) You _Really_ don't want to see the stack of Atari hardware I have and am actively hacking on ;)

A big problem the ST emu scene has had over the years is all the closed source emus, which some went open .. ie: PacifiST was a decent one, but stayed closed; then things like the .stt file format being closed and having to be reverse engineered, yet the guys wanting it to become standard (!?!), stuff like that. WinSTon and so on went open, but all of this really drove Hatari to bnecome what it is. (STonX was pretty good early on, but went stagnant many a moon ago.)

So Hatari is the main contender in the open source ST emulation arena; some of the closed guys have opene dup, but since they were closed for so long, and only went open after being 'dead' forawhile, Hatari has made up most of the slack imho; mind you, the closed guys usually had really got cycle accurate timings and were good with demos, but Hatari is pretty good (and getting better) there, as well as having a whole pile of interesting features .. good hard drive support for a variety of virtual disk types, Falcon and TT030 emulation, remote control abilities, all sorts of great stuff.

I discontinued my own ST emu when Hatari came around, and once we got more pwoerful machines like Pandora, I stopped hacking on OutcaST/CaSTaway as well.. totally outclassed :)

Steven (I think he's the STeem maintainer now) is probabyl quite a capable coder, but I dont' think he's a strong Linux/Unix ghuy; I've not followed, but the vibe I saw back then was he wasnm't familiar with the particular ins and outs (ie: linux audio is historically a big mess, trips up a lot of people :) ; Steem looks like a not too hard port though, so it may be worth doing as another alternative .. but for my part, I rather prefer Hatari so stick there .. only have so much free time lately :/ (got 3 kids now, how thje heck did _that_ happen :)

(If you're curious, I use Hatari on Pandora to run TOS-ports of gcc and so forth, to build Falcon-compatible apps, and then run them in Hatari and some real Atari hardware. Pandora ftw :)

Hatari switched (unfortuantely imho) to cmake build system from traditional make/autotools, and I really dislike cmake (at least for cross compilation setups); few maintainers know how to set cmake configs up (the Hatari guys..) so cmake usualyl doesn't work out of the box, and you need to futz with a few dozen files just in the build system; I prefer to spend my time on the actual code.. and stuff like Makefiles/autoconf are goofy, but well known and simple to screw with. Anyway, so I use some old config hacks I made earlier in Hatari history, so I can build up to Hatari 1.50 without too much trouble. Hatari 1.6.0 is broken (lots of bufs), but 1.6.1 is pretty good .. but its changed enough where I need to re-figure out how to build it . .the cmake stuff is just a big ugly mess there imho. Probably not too ba to fix, but its a half day I'd rather not do right now, got not enough time and too many things I want to work on :(

Which toolchain do you use? Pndcmake is pretty handy in yactfeau :)

yeah, I need to check yactfeau.

The trick with Emus is theres often a two stage build -- you have to build some parts native, and then those parts write out some code that is then built by the cross compiler; so you need two levels of cmake config, and the second level of cmake has to be very carefully set up to 'import' new executables. cmake likes to be told everything up front and it determines a lot, so tends to (in my limited experience) be really clumsy for these multi-stage builds. Further, most of the emu authors don't think about this stuff, so they dont' separate build targets into native and not, they just have 'toosl to build'. So you can specify an ARM gcc, or an x86 gcc.. but you need both.

So for Hatari, it just needs all the cmake files modified, and theres about 10 of them, and its a bit ugly, lots of trial and error.

It _should_ build right out of the box after that, so is not too hard.. I just haven't kuch time right now :(

I used to modify Hatari a bit for Pandora, but it has not been necessary ufor a few versions.

For toolchain, I use my own build, been using it since pre-release :) I think sebt3 may make a new yactfeau, which is really a rolled up ivanovic (which in turn is from djwillis.. :) , so I'll probabyl cut over to one of those.. but my setup works prewtty darned well, so I tend to stick with it :p

jeff

Well, I usually compile it native first and copy files to the respective builddirectorys after commenting those out in the makefile, if I run into such stuff. Not the cleanest way, but works ;)

Well, I usually compile it native first and copy files to the respective builddirectorys after commenting those out in the makefile, if I run into such stuff. Not the cleanest way, but works ;)

yeah, cept with cmake, its a right pita, it wants to control the buld process. you start to meddle, and all sorts of pain. (I really dislike cmake .. really, a build system that by default turns off the command line so you don't see the build instructions unless you do 'make VERBOSE=1' seems evil .. the whole point is to build stuff, and when it breaks, you have to go googling for 5 minutes to find out what broke.. that sure seems p[oor design to me!)

The Hatari guys thought it would be groovy to put in their CFLAGS for C/CXX in their included cmake templates as well for example, meaning that system-wide cmake templates are generalyl ignored; you want /usr/include in there, you're going to hav e to hack 10 cmake-files, not just your system one or project-specific one.

Not too big, but sure seems silly.. so I'd ratehr fix it right and submit a patch upstream so the next guy and next build will be easy :) Its not too big a patch, I just dislike cmake so much I need to set aside some time to do it .. only had a few minutes to lok at 1.6.1 today, so .. another day.

Maybe Monday .. weekend is shot for me :)

I'm just venting, no worries ;)

jeff

Back