mari0: Mario Brothers with Portal Gun [source code available]

burnsky

Still Fresh
Well, the title pretty much says it.

mari0 is a recreation of the 80's classic Super Mario Brothers with the addition of a Portal Gun.

You can find a video, the game and souce code here:

http://stabyourself....mari0/#download

Would this run on the Pandora? Anyone up for porting this?

Moved to General, this definitely doesn't constitute Pandora software news!

Edit: Sadly I can't give this a quick 'n' dirty port... it needs LOVE and love needs OpenAL... painpainpain!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tempted to rewrite all the code to C++/SDL, but that seems like quite a big task for an amateur programmer such as myself. If anyone else fancies porting it I would gladly let them take the responsibility! ;)

Edit: Sadly I can't give this a quick 'n' dirty port... it needs LOVE and love needs OpenAL... painpainpain!
OpenAL isnt the problem here (packaged many times), have a look at the shaders used....

Does the Pandora have specific problems running shaders..? that would expain why very few if any are implemented in the various emus

OpenAL isnt the problem here (packaged many times), have a look at the shaders used....

Whooooooooosh. I didn't get that far, nor would I be equipped to understand the problem, which just flew right over my head!

If ./configure and make don't work, I'm pretty much bamboozled!

I'm working on it right now

look in shaders/init.lua - the shaders are optional and will be disabled if your LOVE2d lib doesn't support them

I'll first try for a release without shaders, but I'll probably go for an ES 2.0 pipeline to make adding some or all of them easier if the game is fast enough.

Me too, but I have reservations as to how playable this will be on the Pandora, what with the mouse/keyboard style play and the Pandora not being very good at that sort of thing.

D.

me too.. the 2d portal on the NDS play well with a stylus, but mario needs more buttons think, turbo/fireball... crouch... climb on plant.

edit: I think the name of that DS game is still alive...

I've only seen the YT video of this but it looks very good, defo the type of game id love to have on my Pandora one day too

Good news ;)

/me want ;)

Me too, but I have reservations as to how playable this will be on the Pandora, what with the mouse/keyboard style play and the Pandora not being very good at that sort of thing.

D.

I'm planning to work in both a dual nub control (like the one I experimented with for Inside a Star-Filled Sky) and a trigger + stylus + nub control method once I get Love2d ported.

A proper Love2d port also means we can run far more games than just Mari0.

Good news ;)

/me want ;)

D.

I'm planning to work in both a dual nub control (like the one I experimented with for Inside a Star-Filled Sky) and a trigger + stylus + nub control method once I get Love2d ported.

A proper Love2d port also means we can run far more games than just Mari0.

Be worth putting the extra effort in to really polish it up and enter it in the Rebirth? :)

That looks really funny.

Controlls:

Moving: D-Pad

Jumping: X-Button

Running: A-Button

Mouse movement: Right Nub

Fire Portal one: R-Trigger

Fire Portal two: L-Trigger

Pause the game: Start Button

Did I forget anything?

Alternative controls:

Fire Portal: Touching the screen

Switching the fired portal: R/L or Y/B

if we could ignore some action it would be good to mimic "Still alive DS" control sheme, however I doubt you can play mario without being able to crouch or run... through it could be an intensive to use portals...

Back