Mashmods Now Offering Overclocking Mod

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 6 2004 at 10:11 AM said:
However, I did fry THREE Playstations trying to put a mod in myself...I ended up letting the pros do it lol. I always hooked it up, and soldered it EXACTALLY to the specifications (and im pretty good with a soldering iron), yet each time I would do it, the PSX would not read ANY cds anymore, and one wouldnt even start up!. Even if I removed the modchip....oh well...that was 6 years ago...I could probably trust myself to do it again...but I wont. Bad memories!
What Wattage soldering Iron did you use??? Sounds like you used a 30watt iron or something... You should only use 15Watt (Or 17 Watt MAX) Fine tip soldering iron and not hold it on a single point for no more than 2 seconds...

So anyone about to try the 32MB themself or the Voltage Mod, then Use a 15Watt Fine Tip Iron and Remove the LCD Screen from the PCB Before starting or you could damage it (maybe) and try Not to hold the iron on for more than 2 seconds :D

hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than getting a specific wattage soldering iron, I would recommend that you beg/borrow/steal a temperature-controlled iron. Open-loop irons (just a heating element and nothing else) are guaranteed by Murphy's Law to always be at the wrong temperature ;)

I can't access mashmods at the moment, I guess it's down. But I would say that not doing 32MB mods at the moment is quite sensible. It takes a bit of setting up, and as everyone knows, there's no benefit to it at the moment.

I'm actually a pretty bad hardware hacker. I've lost count of the amount of stuff I've fried through bad mods, but it's just so damned fun that I can't stop myself :D

now, wouldnt EVERY singel gp32 owner send his gp32 there?

ER no, although the 166 mhz mod is tempting even now and the 32 mb mod would be very tempting should it become useful. Being in the UK Mashmods is too far, if there were someplace reliable in the UK that offered the same service then yeah I'd go for it.
Lucky for me that I live in Toronto then. :p I won't even have to pay shipping if I decide to do the mod... (and I will do it if the GBA emulator supports it)

well, eventually i think they will offer it
and then I could go for the whole shabang
get a snes or maybe a psx controller added and get the 32mb ram upgrade and my FLU kit I am trying to figure out...

SWEET!

~Octavious

Back