Max Resolution And "resolution Emulator"

dftruf

Still Fresh
Ave,

In according to specification, wiz has 640x480 max. display resolution. Why SDL lib doesn't support such resolution?
Many games (especially from desktop computers) work at 640x480 resolution (minimum). It is possible to implement "resolution emulation" in SDL lib (automatic scaling from 640x480 to 320x240) ?

It would be nice idea to implement scaling of display resolution at hardware level.

i don't know what specifications you found, but the resolution is 320x240, NOT 640x480
a downscaler should be possible but should also be slow, and a game using 640x480 resolution must be also slow
maybe a 3D GPU could be used for that, but that needs a lot of work

(if i'm talking nonsense, anyone correct me pls :))

the display doesnt support a bigger resolution than 320x240 (and so the framebuffer is limited to this size). there's also no way a hardware scale can be implemented, because the pollux (chip) doesn't support such thing.

in ScummVM though, someone has implemented an arm optimized downscaling routine. i've successfully used this in blobwars - here's the blobwars source.

glezmen said:
i don't know what specifications you found, but the resolution is 320x240, NOT 640x480
a downscaler should be possible but should also be slow, and a game using 640x480 resolution must be also slow

i've tried something similar with the gpu (hardware rotate to overcome tearing), but it was too slow, because the textures are not stored linar but swizzled within memory (some common optimization for renderers). and again, IIRC, the GPUs biggest texture size is 512 pixels, so, no luck here again.

Last edited by a moderator:
glezmen said:

I've read very briefly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz and I looked on Multimedia support Video max resolution, so I thought it is done by some kind of resolution scaling routine inside hardware.
But yes, display's "physical" resolution is 320x240.

dfTruF said:
glezmen said:

I've read very briefly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz and I looked on Multimedia support Video max resolution, so I thought it is done by some kind of resolution scaling routine inside hardware.
But yes, display's "physical" resolution is 320x240.

well in fact there pollux has an integrated hardware YUV->RGB decoder, but this won't help for most games using SDL. Ikari has integrated this into his wiz-tailored SDL (also on the archive), but it only helps video decoding, not game downscaling.

Actually I believe the console should be able to do 720x480 Max resolution, for use with TV-OUT (else, what's down on the D-Pad do in the TV-Out test app?)

Back