Maxx Digital Portable Dvd Psp Lookalike

Mjlink

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
hey folks,

Been looking for a screen of sorts to use with GP2x & Pandora.

I came across this 8.5" screen Portable DVD from a small company called Maxx Digital.

It looks kinds like what I might want to copy DVDs from and burn to SDHC or a Maxtor 250Gb External HD ($59.99 @ Tigerdirect)?

It has composite video in. Is there a cable that will do this without noticable quality loss?

This is my concern before procurring this PsP look a like. Sony's gotta be pv'd.

Peace

Link

Edit: I guess drivers are gonna be an issue?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&Catld=1703

Mjlink said:
It looks kinds like what I might want to copy DVDs from and burn to SDHC or a Maxtor 250Gb External HD ($59.99 @ Tigerdirect)?

It has composite video in. Is there a cable that will do this without noticable quality loss?

This is my concern before procurring this PsP look a like. Sony's gotta be pv'd.

Edit: I guess drivers are gonna be an issue?
I'm not sure I fully understand what you want to do here, but I don't think this device is the best option for anything Pandora related. This is just a portable DVD player. You cannot use it to rip DVDs to SD cards or an external HD. You cannot use it as an external DVD-ROM drive. The USB port is only there to connect flash drives - not to connect to other devices.

You could use it as an external display for the Pandora with the TV-out, but the quality would be terrible. There is no mention anywhere on the page of the screen's native resolution, but from the low price, generic brand and less than glowing reviews, I'd say it's definitely sub 720x480. Not that you'd get full resolution over a composite cable anyway. And just to add insult to injury, check out the additional images to get a good look at the external battery. It's monstrous, oddly attached, and only lasts for 2.5 hours.

I wouldn't worry about Sony. There is no way they'd ever admit that the PSP is in any way similar to this abortion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is huge. You'd be better off getting a slim usb portable dvd reader/writer and a 10" portable LCD or a small projector for your pandora.

Wow!
Thanks for all that input!

The main reason I was considering this was DVD/CD ripping if the USB was capable.

I don't have a DVD/CD player at the moment. I was using 1Gb HD Minidisc and my iphone to listen to music.

Would an external USB HD and an external DVDR be the better option? Again, Im guessing drivers will be an issue??

Have no TV either, won't be using cable @ all. But am open to suggestion on display.

The idea of a projector sounds really cool or a modest flatscreen.

Thanks for the feedback.

Peace

Link

External HD should work right out of the box, since most mass storage usb drivers will be included in the kernel.

The DVDR should recognize as a mass storage device as well so playing DVD's should work just fine. However burning software will need compiled for the Pandora, so some wait will be involved there, I'm guessing.

As for the external display, any standard definition television will work (the Pandora does not output in HD). If you're looking at a flatscreen make sure it has S-Video in, since the Pandora doesn't do RGB, DVI, or HDMI. Most TV type flatscreens will have this, but most LCD computer monitors will not, so do your homework before settling on a display.

A projector does indeed sound awesome, but all are pricey, and the bulbs can be costly as well.

There are some tiny cheap projectors out there, but not overly easy to find. I've also seen a portable LCD with composite in, but again not all that common.

I'm willing to bet cdrecord and growisofs (needed for writing dvds) work out of the box, thus most of their frontends should too (K3B, Brasero).

I have a portable dvd player like that (different brand), 7 inch I believe, and it's probably 480 x 240 if it's like most of the cheapies. I ran my Archos video out to it and the quality was pretty crappy looking even compared to the 2 inch lcd that the Archos has.

Mjlink said:
Wow!
Thanks for all that input!
<snip>
It sounds like what you really need is a full sized computer. Of all the software that is likely to get ported to the Pandora, DVD ripping software is pretty low on the list. For not much more than the cost of an external HD, external DVD burner, and a cheap LCD monitor, you could just get a cheap 15" laptop and call it a day.

If you absolutely must make your Pandora into something it isn't, then this monitor is probably your best bet. It has composite and S-Video inputs, and it's half the cost of a cheap projector. Any external HD and DVD drive should work, but remember what I said about software availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, feedback appreciated.

I'm not really looking to go burning mad DVDs or CDs with the Pandora.

I'm just looking for a cost effective way to have minimal components and the ability to get music from an audio cd to a SDHC card or external USB HD for archival purposes. The ability to watch or archive video is also a hope.

Am I asking too much?

I was thinking about a 19" TV with a DVD player built in, but that leaves me with the CD-MP3 archive issue.

The USB DVDR could fix that, allow me to just get an LCD display.

I'm so sick of f!ing iTunes, Sonicstage (Sony's itoon)

Thanks again, not trying to be difficult, just not trying to buy a PC or MAC, and I don't think what I'm looking to do is above and beyond the Pandora. Maybe I'm clueless?

Peace

Link

Thanks for this topic, though I have little to add beyond that I also hope the Pandora could use a USB DVD-rom to rip CD's and DVD's I am at least a little more informed about all of this.

Back