Metal Slug Full Speed

Sheraf

Still Fresh
Hi.

I've a problem with the neogeo emulator.

Everyone tells me Metal Slug is working perfectly on the gp2x. And I can't make it work "perfectly"

I first installed gngeo2x. It was pretty slow and the sound wouldnt work.
I then added rage2X.

This was better, I could overclock and turn the sound on, but still. It's not "Full speed". If I kill like 4 or five guys at the same time, or if there's like a bunch of ennemies and explosions, it's slowing.

It's not seriously slow, but enougn to be annoying.

I always read that it should work full speed.

What can I do ?

I can get full speed in Metal Slug if I either play at 200mhz with no sound or at 250mhz/266mhz with sound

mdinire posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
I can get full speed in Metal Slug if I either play at 200mhz with no sound or at 250mhz/266mhz with sound

That's not helping. I tried at 280 it's still a little slow sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the newest version I think..... there was once a version that worked for me fullspeed w/ sound @ 266Mhz with the best sound bitrate (44100).
In the newest version, the best bitrate lags for me quite a bit, and only low-quality sound is fullspeed.

Wolfsclaw posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
Its the newest version I think..... there was once a version that worked for me fullspeed w/ sound @ 266Mhz with the best sound bitrate (44100).
In the newest version, the best bitrate lags for me quite a bit, and only low-quality sound is fullspeed.

The newest version of what ? gngeo ?

Which version is the best one ? I just NEED to play to metal slug x on the train :)

A desperate metal slug fan :(

Edit : a friend told me "be sure there's the MMU hack inside, ask the forum"

I don't know what the hell he meant.

If I remember correctly even the arcade version slowed down a bit when there was a lot going on at once. Maybe your expectations are a too high?

subcon959 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:19 PM said:
If I remember correctly even the arcade version slowed down a bit when there was a lot going on at once. Maybe your expectations are a too high?

I dunno maybe. But i read so much people sayin "it works full-speed-perfect-can't-do-better-ever" that I guessed it was, I mean, working perfectly.

Sometimes the framerate is divided by two. I mean I can't play well like that.
I'm really a Metal Slug freak. I can beat the final boss without dyin but that's impossible to try if the game is slowin even a little bit.

Edit : whoa I didnt understand. NO !

On my computer, the game works perfectly fine. The framerate dosen't move at all. It's constant.
I can be fighting 10 flyin saucer and dodging 50 shots, if I die I can only blame myself.

And SOME arcade were slow. Not all of them.

Sheraf posted on Aug 21 2006 at 10:25 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

I dunno maybe. But i read so much people sayin "it works full-speed-perfect-can't-do-better-ever" that I guessed it was, I mean, working perfectly.

Sometimes the framerate is divided by two. I mean I can't play well like that.
I'm really a Metal Slug freak. I can beat the final boss without dyin but that's impossible to try if the game is slowin even a little bit.

Edit : whoa I didnt understand. NO !

On my computer, the game works perfectly fine. The framerate dosen't move at all. It's constant.
I can be fighting 10 flyin saucer and dodging 50 shots, if I die I can only blame myself.

And SOME arcade were slow. Not all of them.

2.something ghz/at least 256 ram/dedicated graphics card (or even an integrated, w/e)/and soundcard >>>>> gp2x

try underclocking the neogeo emulation (option in the rage front end) so that when the game does slow down, the frame rate stays constant.

there won't be any frames the computer generates that you don't see, and you can only blame yourself for death again :)

subcon959 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
Sheraf, surely you don't expect the GP2x to compete with your Desktop PC in terms of processing power?

No but again, it's not like metal slug is hard to emulate for my desktop computer.

Of course my computer is more powerfull, but if I run a NES-emulator, I won't see the difference between a shitty computer, and a 2000$ computer.

If someone tells me metal slug works perfectly on my computer, I just assume it's perfect. Like on my computer.

ps : My oooooooold 233Mhz computer, at his time, use to do it perfectly.

starpause posted on Aug 21 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
try underclocking the neogeo emulation (option in the rage front end) so that when the game does slow down, the frame rate stays constant.

there won't be any frames the computer generates that you don't see, and you can only blame yourself for death again :)

I don't really want to play with a "random bullet time" thingy if that what you mean...

I tried with the framerate on.

30 fps is average. That's fine. During a lot of action (like the double camels fight explosion (It's Metal Slug X btw)), it drop to 12.

Is that the case for every body ?

Why the f*** does the forum changes the word camels (without the "s") to moron ?

Sheraf posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Why the f*** does the forum changes the word camels (without the "s") to moron ?
Ca-mel is a type of cig-arette, and there was a spambot on the forums that was advertising cig-arettes. So everything to do with cig-arettes is changed to moron.

nickspoon posted on Aug 21 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
Sheraf posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Ca-mel is a type of cig-arette, and there was a spambot on the forums that was advertising cig-arettes. So everything to do with cig-arettes is changed to moron.

Well, you know what? I think your a moron. (Lol, camels ftw)

Metal Slugs beyond X run at like 35 FPS average (I always have FPS display up BTW for all emulators that support it), at 250 mHz and 11025 kHZ audio... With the non MMU hack version. Mind you though, I know exactly what I'm doing with this emulator as well.

However, I did notice the slow down he was talking about with the older Metal Slugs. I have no idea why, but it does sometimes dip into like 15 FPS for me. One would think it would be the other way around due to encryption, larger game size, etc. Weird...

Umm I like repeating myself....

An older version did (!) work fullspeed w/ full sound (44100) support, however from one point on, it worked slower, at least in Metal Slug 1.
I have no idea why. And no, i dont still have that old version ...

Back