Microatx Mainboard In An Atx Case?

Fishbong

man of poor reputation
Website
Visit site
Hello, i´m planning to build a new PC. I want to have a mainboard with a nForce 630a chipset, and i got interested in the ASROCK SoAM2 ALiveNF7G. It got very decent reviews and is rather cheap. It has all the features i need, BUT it is in microATX form factor.
So the question is, can i install it in my ATX miditower even though it is an μATX Board?

Thanks for your help.

Fishbong said:
Hello, i´m planning to build a new PC. I want to have a mainboard with a nForce 630a chipset, and i got interested in the ASROCK SoAM2 ALiveNF7G. It got very decent reviews and is rather cheap. It has all the features i need, BUT it is in microATX form factor.
So the question is, can i install it in my ATX miditower even though it is an μATX Board?

Thanks for your help.
Yes as long as the mounting holes match up.

(Though there's generally no reason why they shouldn't)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah its usually compatible, the problem comes when trying to put ATX motherboard (big) into a M-atx case (small) some stuff i dislike about using m-atx boards in atx cases is as mentioned, not all the holes match up, somtimes there is a overhang toward the hard drives/dvd drive so be careful plugging ide cables in.

Fishbong said:
OK, thank you. I´m gonna buy that board then. If the holes don´t match, i´ll drill new ones :ph34r:
Make sure the back of the motherboard isn't touching the case. I can't stress enough how critically important this is :p

nickspoon said:
Fishbong said:
OK, thank you. I´m gonna buy that board then. If the holes don´t match, i´ll drill new ones :ph34r:
Make sure the back of the motherboard isn't touching the case. I can't stress enough how critically important this is :p

Too right-- The screwholes are often raised meaning you might need to stick some insulation tape over them if they are in the way.

However I've built tons and tons of PCs with MicroATX board and have never seen one where the holes don't line up. Ever.

Just hope you don't get one of those cases where you have to use the special screws to raise from the mounting plate, it's such a PAIN when you want to take the motherboard off, as you normally wind up unscrewing the mounts rather than the screws.

Titcher said:
Just hope you don't get one of those cases where you have to use the special screws to raise from the mounting plate, it's such a PAIN when you want to take the motherboard off, as you normally wind up unscrewing the mounts rather than the screws.
Unfortunately most of the cheaper cases are still like that :) Just make sure you do those bad-boys up super tight with a pair of pliers. And for the love of god, don't over tighten the motherboard screws-- It's not like it's going to fall out :)

Titcher said:
yeah they are called Standoffs, i never had to use them apart from on my oldoldold pent3 motherboard, every case since then has the nipple type standoffs built into the motherboard

aha! i knew those "case lights" you ordered were too big to be just decorations...

my case is an antec overture. bit of a beast, but looks nice. next time i'm going to go smaller, and use less hardware. probably will stay away from a gfx card with two fans as well, and a chipset that requires a northbridge fan. those where very loud mistakes that i am still suffering for.

I finally got around to ordering the parts. With the recent price drop in processors and RAM i was able to pick silent components and an über cool fan/temperature control.

Pics and specs tomorrow evening, when i´ve assembled the stuff.

Back